Stopping and restarting a cut using Mach 3 controls

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Searchman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Stopping and restarting a cut using Mach 3 controls

Post by Searchman »

When I plasma cut a large piece my compressor needs recovery time. By a large piece I am referring to a design that has long continuous cuts.
What procedure is recommended to stop Mach and then continue with the cut process?
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Stopping and restarting a cut using Mach 3 controls

Post by little blue choo »

Hi Searchman, I don't have that problem but if I want to stop in the middle of a cut to maybe remove a tip up or something I always hit FEED HOLD. This will allow the machine to finish the cut it's on and then pause before going to the next cut, preventing it from loosing it's place. When your compressor catches up you simply hit run and the table will start back where it stopped. Hope this helped.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

If something catches you off guard (misfire, etc), you can scroll up to the M5 command after the last good cut, use "set next line" to start again from this point, and re-start. I use that a lot. Lol
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Searchman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Searchman »

What I like about this forum site is that everyone is willing to share their knowledge. I am very new at CNC Plasma and require a lot of " Hand Holding ". I purchased a CNC Plasma table from an ad on the internet. I had no idea what was involved to just get up and running. Somewhat running. Many hours of frustration. I was happy to just be able to jog X and Y on the table. I am now able to cut up steel and have it look presentable.
It is a hobby for me and a good deterrent from dementia. So I am told. Not to bad for a farm boy from Wisconsin.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”