running mach 4 cut without the torch running?

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

running mach 4 cut without the torch running?

Post by JeepGuy »

id like to get the marker holder that one of the members make (metals to expensive to be making test patterns lol) but i dont know how to run a file without the computer looking for the torch to fire, i am currently printin the mach4 manual but figured id ask here also.
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: running mach 4 cut without the torch running?

Post by JeepGuy »

so after a little reading it seems i just do it in sheetcam, not mach4? ill have to look around in there.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Yes you select a post processor that does not have plasma functions, a router one works fine. For the plotter you run Z down to touch the surface and have you cut depth of about 0.050" to give the pen pressure to mark. It works the same are routing a 0.050" path.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:02 pm Yes you select a post processor that does not have plasma functions, a router one works fine. For the plotter you run Z down to touch the surface and have you cut depth of about 0.050" to give the pen pressure to mark. It works the same are routing a 0.050" path.
:Like :Like :Like
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JeepGuy »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:02 pm Yes you select a post processor that does not have plasma functions, a router one works fine. For the plotter you run Z down to touch the surface and have you cut depth of about 0.050" to give the pen pressure to mark. It works the same are routing a 0.050" path.
thanks a bunch.
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JeepGuy »

Well I still can't get it work. I don't know how to setup a router tool and I tried the way the link in my email said but I guess I don't know how to start from a certain line of code, it jist crashes my x into the water table
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Not sure you need to start from a certain line of code. Setting up the router tool and using it should generate the code you need without modification. I am not familiar with Mach or Sheetcam but maybe AC will post back, it looks like he is doing this sort of thing often.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You should use a router/rotary post processor, tool diameter 0.001" cut depth 0.010". start by setting the tip at 0.010" (ZERO set the Z DRO to down 0.000") touching the paper. more the Z up to about =0.060" do not zero the DRO. Now with the SheetCam plan it will mark the paper with a downward pressure at -0.020" Set the plan to cut with on the line path no offset, no lead in/out needed unless you want to see them.
video showing the ploter in action.
router psot.jpg
router psot.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
router post 2.jpg
router post 2.jpg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
router post 3.jpg
router pot 4.jpg
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Thanks AC, was hoping you would chime in again on this one. Love your marking attachment!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

thanks Happy to help
Ah shucks 2 Gif file.gif
Ah shucks 2 Gif file.gif (3.48 MiB) Viewed 2673 times
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JeepGuy »

so when i do this my machine is looking for a zero, i dont know how to turn off it looking for a ohmic zero
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I believe that what AC is saying is that your machine is looking for "ohmic zero" because your post processor is telling it to. If you use a post processor designed for router work they do not have ohmic clips and not designed to be looking for "ohmic zero" but rather you specify where zero is. If you are using the router post you would jog your Z axis down until the marker tip touchs the material and then Zero your Z axis in the DRO.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Jeep I sent you a PM about this, what weldguy is saying is exactly correct.
For those that do not understand plasma works above 0.0 and routing, milling, pen plotter, scribing, drag knife all work below 0.0. Each type of Post Processor is written so the G-code is generated using the correct movement for each operation.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:37 am Jeep I sent you a PM about this, what weldguy is saying is exactly correct.
For those that do not understand plasma works above 0.0 and routing, milling, pen plotter, scribing, drag knife all work below 0.0. Each type of Post Processor is written so the G-code is generated using the correct movement for each operation.
This makes perfect sense, and is a great explanation.
David
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JeepGuy »

weldguy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:11 am I believe that what AC is saying is that your machine is looking for "ohmic zero" because your post processor is telling it to. If you use a post processor designed for router work they do not have ohmic clips and not designed to be looking for "ohmic zero" but rather you specify where zero is. If you are using the router post you would jog your Z axis down until the marker tip touchs the material and then Zero your Z axis in the DRO.
i made a router tool and use that in sheetcam but it still does the same thing, it will even fire the plasma with a router tool.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are some other things you need to understand. A rotary tool in SheetCam is not the complete fix for your problem. The second part is the Post Processor you are using in SheetCam. The tool portion is for planning the operation, the Post Processor configures the G-code. If you use a Post Processor that is designed for a plasma cutter it will add the commands for piercing and cut height. If you use a Post Processor designed for mill/routing,pen plotter it will not have pierce or cut height commands in it.
I'm sorry you are having a problem with this but that is part of learning, It is not your fault, it is how to play the game. You need to back up from this and try to develop the bigger picture to get a better understanding of CNC. I have been doing this for 10 years, started knowing nothing about CNC or CAD/CAM software, I still don't know some of the finer details. Please continue to ask questions soon the light will go on and things will make sense. It is a fun world and well worth the time spent. It will take only one members explanation, as we see/explain things differently, and you will say "THAT'S IT' We all were Grasshoppers once. :Yay
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I know you don't read G-code but here is an example of the 2 operational G-codes with notes as where the differences are.
Plasma
square plasma.JPG
router
square router.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JeepGuy »

so i got a little further with it, turns out my mach 4 was only for plasma, i switched it to router and got somewhere but its still looking for a touch off plate for the router, it must be in the sheetcam
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Not sure if this will help you out but there is a test G-code called "RoadRunner" it came with Mach3 not sure if with mach4. Unzip this file to have it on our system. To run it move the torch about in the middle of travel for X and Y then move the Z to about the middle of its travel Zero out the DRO and run it. I should move all around to form 3 roadrunner outlines, and move the Z up and down about 0.200". You don't need to run it completely unless you want to. If it works you should be able to use a generic Mac3 Post Processor to generate a G-code to use the pen plotter.
Attachments
roadrunner.zip
(33.84 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

It should look something like this. If you take a look at the code you can see the Z moves from +0.2 to -0.1 and then from -0.1 to +0.2 in several spots in the program.
David
roadrunner image.jpg
roadrunner.pdf
(119.36 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”