It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Mach3 and THC Clarity?

Mach 3 CNC from Artsoft questions or tips can be posted to this forum.
ForceDesigns

Mach3 and THC Clarity?

Postby ForceDesigns » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:40 am

I am pretty new to the plasma game. Having a ton of fun at it, but would like to ask a couple of questions related to THC and Mach3. I have searched high and low on this forum and the great oracle, Google, but haven't found the answers that I need for my setup.

I am having an issue with my Proma 150 setup and feel that the system can be configured to solve the problems. When cutting 16 ga, which is my normal thickness for now, the torch dives if THC is on at the start of the cut. Now mind you, I realize that this is because it has pierced too long before going into the cut. That being said I have pierce delay set at 0. I am using sheetcam by the way. So to solve this particular issue I just turn it on mid cut. There has to be a way to do this in the software. This is where my questions come in.

1. Can M10 and M11 only be used for outputs and not to turn THC on and off? I have the macro setup to look for the led, and then turn that button on/off depending on what I need/call for using sheetcam. However, it does not function using MDI so basically dead in the water there before even getting going. Tried those two because there isn't supposed to be a delay.

2. How can I setup a "brain" to use S codes to turn THC on and off? Because this doesn't cause the same stop motion that a M code would, it seems like the best solution. But there seems to be very little info on how to set that up.

3. Can Mach3 not lock movement from external sources somehow for a few seconds into the cut? Or is there a different way to lock movement for perhaps 2 seconds after the cut starts? Ideally just before it ends too, my torch always dives at the end of a cut as well after it crosses the starting arc.

I am trying to solve this issue because I've got a much better IPT-60 machine torch when compared to my hand torch and want to preserve the Temco consumables as much as possible. Plus the results from my home built table have been amazing with the new blowback consumables, until they start to wear out due to warping material. Cut a large 46" wide sign and almost lost the sign because it warped and my THC wasn't on for a portion of the cut (I hadn't turned it on and the material warped). My consumables were basically shot after that. I know that some of these questions have been asked a lot, just can't find the exact answer that I am looking for.
Home Built 4x4 CNC Plasma Table
Ethernet Smoothstepper
C25 BOB
Proma 150 THC
Razorcut 45 with IPT-60 Machine Torch
Software: Mach3 and Sheetcam, Inventor 2019 for serious design work and Inkscape for signs

acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member

Re: Mach3 and THC Clarity?

Postby acourtjester » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:02 am

Have you tried to increase the time delay on the Proma itself, I would try about 1.5 seconds, this will allow the arc voltage to stabilize before the THC starts correcting to the set voltage.
THC.JPG

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
CandCNC DTHC-IV & Feather Touch
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PM 256 tig

ForceDesigns

Postby ForceDesigns » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 pm

acourtjester, thank you. I must have missed that setting when going through the THC manual. I adjusted it as suggested and will report back.

I was also able to get the macros to work. I used M998 and M999. But, as suspected, the delay is enough to cause me issues. The torch was diving due to the pauses. Really hoping that someone is able to help me figure out the s code method, that would really be great.
Ethernet Smoothstepper
C25 BOB
Proma 150 THC
Software: Mach3 and Sheetcam, Inventor 2019 for serious design work and Inkscape for signs

East German

Postby East German » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:58 am

Hello

Do you have in the spindle setup everything to zero. With 16 GA 1.29 mm you need no plunge delay!

See the pic!

Peter

Spindelsetup.jpg

setup16ga.jpg

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable with Mach 3
Triple Beast + Leadschine Drive
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch + PriceCNC THC
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch + Proma THC

ForceDesigns

Postby ForceDesigns » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:52 pm

I thought I responded already. No big deal.

I should have been more clear. My settings actually call for no pierce delay in the 16 ga material if that is what you mean. The delay is caused by the M code being called in the G code. It causes a slight pause in motion as it is processed. There are ways to use brains to perform the same function using an S code, but I have not been able to figure that one out yet. When I do, I plan to post it here to help others if they want it.

I am using a cheap proma 150 thc with a razorcut 45 and ipt-60 machine torch and an ethernet smooth stepper with mach3. So that setup style (read as cheap setup) might be more common among the other DIY people.
Ethernet Smoothstepper
C25 BOB
Proma 150 THC

East German

Postby East German » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:02 am

I think you should use a different postprocessor. The CANDCNC plasma rev11J is very good you should test it, everything is adjustable and there are no breaks.

Peter

Hypertherm Powermax 85
Hypertherm Powermax 1100

ForceDesigns

Postby ForceDesigns » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:54 am

I don't believe the issue is with the post processor. I am still fairly new to this game so it is very possible I am wrong. But the post processor does not affect what mach uses to turn the THC on and off. The function within mach3 is what causes the delay. I wrote two macros that perform the function. Is that how you do it? Or is there another way?
Ethernet Smoothstepper
C25 BOB
Proma 150 THC

East German

Postby East German » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello,
I use the above postprocessor with G28.
This works great.
The original THC on from function of Mach 3, I do not use.
I turn on a relay with the M 10P2 and M11P2 from Sheetcam. The relay disconnects GND from the Proma or at the PriceCNC THC is switched off.

Peter

Hypertherm Powermax 85
Hypertherm Powermax 1100

tcaudle

Postby tcaudle » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:56 pm

Problem: any M code in a line of Gcode cause a pause while it executes . Solution : Use M10 and M11 to trigger an external output and enable /disable your THC M10/M11 causes no motion delay. Problem 2 Promo THC has no external enable/disable. Solution 2 : get a THC that does have an external disable pin.

on the POST You are (mostly) right. Its not the POST but the way MACH handles MACros. The Listed POST (I wrote) does use the M10 and M11 properly so it would work to drive external disable circuit. It also has lots of other embedded codes specific to our DTHC hardware to do all kinds of settings .

ForceDesigns

Postby ForceDesigns » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:10 am

Thank you tcaudle and East German. With that extra bit of information I will configure my THC so that I can disable the arc ok signal using m10 and m11. If that doesn't work I will find a THC that can accept an external enable/disable signal. I'll report back.
Ethernet Smoothstepper
C25 BOB
Proma 150 THC

Return to “Mach3 CNC”