Advanced THC

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
wheezer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Advanced THC

Post by wheezer »

I wanted to make sure I'm on track with understanding Plasmacams THC. The advanced THC offers ohmic sensing? which should then give dynamic ability to move the torch automatically in the Z axis over height differences in the material? Works with a hand torch?

While waiting for the DVD I'm researching things, thanks for the patience.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Advanced THC

Post by rdj357 »

Yes that’s mostly true. It does work fine with hand torch. Hypertherm has the best plasma machine of course and their mechanized consumables work just the same on hand torch as they do on machine. I’m a big fan of machine torch personally because it’s easier to have in exact location and alignment each time and with a magnetic mount, can easily come off to change consumables and will break away if a collision happens.

To be as accurate as possible:
Ohmic sensing establishes an accurate pierce height at each pierce. The basic height control level can either use ‘from previous location’ which means wherever the Z shift is set to tell it where the surface of the sheet is or by ‘stall to zero’ which will stall out the stepper on the material. This doesn’t work well on thinner material as it will deflect and spring up. Both basic and advanced can raise to a rapid travel height between cuts.

As for adjusting Z position during cutting for height differences - both the basic and advanced use arc voltage feedback to maintain cut height so they will both do as you say. The PlasmaCAM uses an arc voltage shift setting that allows you to automatically calibrate the height rather than have to fiddle with separate THC voltage settings. This is very helpful since it is easy to recalibrate and maintain the correct cut height over the life of consumables despite the arc lengthening (and thus voltage changing) as the electrode wears.
wheezer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by wheezer »

rdj357 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:09 pm Yes that’s mostly true. It does work fine with hand torch. Hypertherm has the best plasma machine of course and their mechanized consumables work just the same on hand torch as they do on machine. I’m a big fan of machine torch personally because it’s easier to have in exact location and alignment each time and with a magnetic mount, can easily come off to change consumables and will break away if a collision happens.

To be as accurate as possible:
Ohmic sensing establishes an accurate pierce height at each pierce. The basic height control level can either use ‘from previous location’ which means wherever the Z shift is set to tell it where the surface of the sheet is or by ‘stall to zero’ which will stall out the stepper on the material. This doesn’t work well on thinner material as it will deflect and spring up. Both basic and advanced can raise to a rapid travel height between cuts.

As for adjusting Z position during cutting for height differences - both the basic and advanced use arc voltage feedback to maintain cut height so they will both do as you say. The PlasmaCAM uses an arc voltage shift setting that allows you to automatically calibrate the height rather than have to fiddle with separate THC voltage settings. This is very helpful since it is easy to recalibrate and maintain the correct cut height over the life of consumables despite the arc lengthening (and thus voltage changing) as the electrode wears.
Thanks Robert!
I started watching your excellent videos yesterday, tonight 002. What exactly does the Advanced THC have over the basic?I'm wondering what programming options should I get? I also will order your interface cable- stock time?- if the Plasmacam purchase works out ie shipping etc.

Do I need a programming option to "index" a large sheet easily?
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Awesome - hope they help! The advanced height control adds the ohmic sensing for pierce height reference which is dramatically better and easier to calibrate. I have a video on ‘What the levels get you’ that is very valuable to tell what is what. I always recommend the 3(4) main upgrades that make a great system and that’s Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, and Advanced Height Control (there are 2 levels of height so it can be counted as two).

Advanced machine control includes the ability to make the indexing process easier. It’s still a chore but the indexing in that upgrade lets it create cut paths that are split between different sections in a more automated manner.

If you’re talking about the CPC Interface Cable, keep in mind that is only for use with Machine Torch. Shoot me a message if you want and I’ll be happy to help you order/get the right things from everyone the first time around as best I can.
wheezer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by wheezer »

rdj357 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:10 pm Awesome - hope they help! The advanced height control adds the ohmic sensing for pierce height reference which is dramatically better and easier to calibrate. I have a video on ‘What the levels get you’ that is very valuable to tell what is what. I always recommend the 3(4) main upgrades that make a great system and that’s Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, and Advanced Height Control (there are 2 levels of height so it can be counted as two).

Advanced machine control includes the ability to make the indexing process easier. It’s still a chore but the indexing in that upgrade lets it create cut paths that are split between different sections in a more automated manner.

If you’re talking about the CPC Interface Cable, keep in mind that is only for use with Machine Torch. Shoot me a message if you want and I’ll be happy to help you order/get the right things from everyone the first time around as best I can.
Thanks Robert! :Like
Once I get things sorted out shipping wise etc I will for sure message you for advice on the order. Gonna go straight to the "levels" video tonight. Great info, much appreciated , Gerry
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:10 pm Awesome - hope they help! The advanced height control adds the ohmic sensing for pierce height reference which is dramatically better and easier to calibrate. I have a video on ‘What the levels get you’ that is very valuable to tell what is what. I always recommend the 3(4) main upgrades that make a great system and that’s Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, and Advanced Height Control (there are 2 levels of height so it can be counted as two).

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”