PlasmaCam Design Edge not cutting the whole design errors

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
shawnrl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PlasmaCam Design Edge not cutting the whole design errors

Post by shawnrl »

Hi there -

I am new to all of this. I am working with the Plasmacam Design edge system. I have gone through manual after manual trying to figure out why this keeps happening. I have wasted over $300 in metal so far and I can't figure this out. I am in need of help. If this is in the wrong section, forgive me and please redirect me.

I will describe my setup;
4x4 Plasmacam Design Edge advanced software
90 PSI 80 Gallon air compressor
Powermax Hypertherm Plasma set at 45AMPs
In line filter for moisture buildup
Table is grounded at 2 different locations
Tip is clean

Please note; all the images are made in a adobe illustrator first and saved as a DXF file.

In the software when you convert to cutpaths, you run an intersection error process to see if there is any errors when it cuts. When doing that prior to cutting, nothing shows up. I've attached the image below on just freshly converted cut path. I've also attached all the settings I have inputted in the offset/convert settings. These were inputted based on the booklet provided by the plasma, that is also attached.

During the cut it will skip small sections, approx. a few centimeters in length, image attached. I tried the cut again to see if it would repeat the results and it did, exact same place each time. When I go back to the software, it now shows on the cut paths that have gaps in them with a green line going above it. I have attached that image as well.

I don't know what else to try - I am at the point of giving up. I hope this is a simple thing to fix and there is so setting I'm missing.
20210102_144139.jpg
20210102_144336.jpg
20210102_144257.jpg
20210102_144250.jpg
20210102_144217.jpg
20210102_144221.jpg
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PlasmaCam Design Edge not cutting the whole design errors

Post by adbuch »

Is this the first time this has happened, or have you had this problem with other files? Are you able to cut simple shapes like a 4" diameter circle or square with no problem? Sometimes incomplete cuts are due to the torch starting to move before it actually fires. Under your settings, machine control page - do you have "Wait for signal before moving" checked, along with the proper time to pierce path value from the cut chart? It is hard for me to tell from your photos, but you may have another problem causing this. Do you have sufficient air supply to the plasma cutter? It should be around 100 psi measured at the entrance to the plasma cutter while the machine is cutting. Perhaps Robert will have some better ideas of how to solve your problem.
David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

The complete lack of lead in's shows that the problem is happening at the start of the cut. Your torch is in motion before the torch fires.

I see that you have height control (by the tab being available in your settings) so the fix here is to go to the machine control settings tab, bottom right corner, and check the wait for signal before moving. That way the torch will not move until it has verified the plasma arc has been established and waited the set time to pierce path.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:14 am The complete lack of lead in's shows that the problem is happening at the start of the cut. Your torch is in motion before the torch fires.

I see that you have height control (by the tab being available in your settings) so the fix here is to go to the machine control settings tab, bottom right corner, and check the wait for signal before moving. That way the torch will not move until it has verified the plasma arc has been established and waited the set time to pierce path.
Robert - that was my first thought as well, as I mentioned above - and hopefully we are both correct. But to me some of the areas that are not cut appear to be on the opposite side of the cut path from the position where the lead-in is placed. I am trying to compare his screen shot of the cut paths to the photo of the actual part. It would really be helpful for me to see a better photo of the cut part.
David
shawnrl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shawnrl »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:06 pm
rdj357 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:14 am The complete lack of lead in's shows that the problem is happening at the start of the cut. Your torch is in motion before the torch fires.

Robert - that was my first thought as well, as I mentioned above - and hopefully we are both correct. But to me some of the areas that are not cut appear to be on the opposite side of the cut path from the position where the lead-in is placed. I am trying to compare his screen shot of the cut paths to the photo of the actual part. It would really be helpful for me to see a better photo of the cut part.
David
Hi there -

Here is a better picture of the cut.
1.jpg
1.jpg (33.45 KiB) Viewed 869 times
each red box represents the start of the cut. As you can see it is stopping right before the final cut. Not allowing the metal to drop off.

Also, this is on every single custom design I've tried cutting. It does the same thing. it always cuts short and doesn't complete a full cut.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is your cut path showing the lead-in for this feature.
lead in.jpg
Here is your photo of the actual cut.
photo of part.jpg
You say the red box shows where the cut starts (actual pierce point location). If that is true, then it would appear that either the file used to cut the part is not the same as the original screenshot showing your cut paths, or you have another issue we need to address.

If this were a case of the torch moving before firing, then the part of the path not cut would be adjacent to the lead-in and start of cut and the end of the cut would be at the actual end of the cut path.

I would still like to see a screenshot of your Settings, Machine Control tab - but I think there is something else going on here. I would like to see you cut a sample part like this one with the lead-in located as shown in the photo below.
test cut image.jpg
Here is the pcm file.
test cut.pcm
(929 Bytes) Downloaded 46 times
Be sure to check the box for "Wait for signal before moving" on your machine control page as shown below.
David
settings - machine control.jpg
shawnrl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shawnrl »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 pm Here is your cut path showing the lead-in for this feature.
lead in.jpg

photo of part.jpg

You say the red box shows where the cut starts (actual pierce point location). If that is true, then it would appear that either the file used to cut the part is not the same as the original screenshot showing your cut paths, or you have another issue we need to address.

If this were a case of the torch moving before firing, then the part of the path not cut would be adjacent to the lead-in and start of cut and the end of the cut would be at the actual end of the cut path.

I would still like to see a screenshot of your Settings, Machine Control tab - but I think there is something else going on here. I would like to see you cut a sample part like this one with the lead-in located as shown in the photo below.
test cut image.jpg

Here is the pcm file.
test cut.pcm

Be sure to check the box for "Wait for signal before moving" on your machine control page as shown below.
David
Okay I will try what you've mentioned tomorrow afternoon to see what the results are. I will try to take some video of the cut as well.
shawnrl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shawnrl »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 pm Here is your cut path showing the lead-in for this feature.
lead in.jpg

photo of part.jpg

test cut image.jpg

Here is the pcm file.
test cut.pcm

David
Okay I logged into the system I noticed something.
20210104_193146.jpg
It looks like I have the basic machine control setup. I assume I need to purchase the advanced machine control feature? I thought I had already. If that's what is needed I will purchase that feature and try the test cut you said. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I really appreciate it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I have run my table in the past without the "Wait for signal before moving" box checked and it worked fine as long as I had the Time Delay for "Time to pierce path" set long enough. I notice you have your "Time to pierce path" set to 0.3 sec. How thick is the material you are cutting? I would try increasing from 0.3 to 0.6 sec or more just to see if this has any effect.

To me, it still looks like you have a different problem. As I said previously:

"You say the red box shows where the cut starts (actual pierce point location). If that is true, then it would appear that either the file used to cut the part is not the same as the original screenshot showing your cut paths, or you have another issue we need to address.

"

So I would still recommend that you do the test cut I mentioned above and show us pictures of both your cut path screenshot and the actual part after you cut it so we can compare.

David
shawnrl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shawnrl »

adbuch wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:44 am I have run my table in the past without the "Wait for signal before moving" box checked and it worked fine as long as I had the Time Delay for "Time to pierce path" set long enough. I notice you have your "Time to pierce path" set to 0.3 sec. How thick is the material you are cutting? I would try increasing from 0.3 to 0.6 sec or more just to see if this has any effect.

To me, it still looks like you have a different problem. As I said previously:

"You say the red box shows where the cut starts (actual pierce point location). If that is true, then it would appear that either the file used to cut the part is not the same as the original screenshot showing your cut paths, or you have another issue we need to address.

"

So I would still recommend that you do the test cut I mentioned above and show us pictures of both your cut path screenshot and the actual part after you cut it so we can compare.

David
Great news! I changed the 0.3 sec to 0.6 sec and I upped the PSI to 100. I did the test cut you sent and it did it perfectly. Then I re did the seahawks logo and it did it perfectly. Thank you so much! I'll keep trying it on other designs to see if it continues to work. I apologize for the confusion on the cutpath images. I'm not sure if I took the wrong photos before.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the update. Since you made both changes at the same time, I am not sure if it was the pierce delay being too short, the torch running out of air, or a combination of those factors causing your original problem. Please post some photos of your test cut (screenshot of cut paths and finished part in sheet of material) so we can see your results.
Thanks,
David
shawnrl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shawnrl »

Hi David -

See attached test cut you provided. I need to replace my consumable, it has a rough edge on it which caused the markings I believe but this is a major step forward that it actually cut out something 100%
20210105_155425.jpg
20210105_154956.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Yes - this looks like an improvement over your previous results. Keep us posted on your progress.
David

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”