Software Comparable to DesignEdge?

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
TxcMfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Software Comparable to DesignEdge?

Post by TxcMfg »

Is there a software that is comparable to Design Edge for use on different tables? I see lots of bad comments about the company.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Software Comparable to DesignEdge?

Post by see&see »

TxcMfg wrote:Is there a software that is comparable to Design Edge for use on different tables? I see lots of bad comments about the company.
PlasmaCam and Design Edge forces you into an exclusive marriage between table and software. Different tables are not allowed and no drawing software I know of dovetails between the table operation and drawing application like DE does seamlessly.

In my opinion, the arrogance, along with the companies pompous attitude in an attempt to show an offensive sense of superiority over the PlasmaCam owner breeds most of the bad comments as any normal company could or would expect in any normal market.

Their latest trick without warning in several clandestine updates was to disable an owners registered software in any computer that was using a screen sharing application such as Team Viewer and nameless other programs that were never completely listed by the company and forwarded to the owners of their products. Also, Design Edge update after v4.45 will no longer load in the Mac computer I used 4 years for drawing PCM files no matter what software or applications I have in the Mac system, again, after the latest update to 4.45.

All this was done after the sales guarantees put forth by the companies salespeople were broken and in my opinion clearly over and beyond the proprietary agreement I clicked on when I loaded the software after it was purchased.

One of DE's biggest table selling points as an option with extra charge was Advanced Height Control. I've recently noticed companies like CandCNC have developed an excellent responsive digital torch height control widely used by many fabricators. In my next expansion I'll probably lean that way..
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
TxcMfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by TxcMfg »

Thanks for the reply. This is why I will not buy a PlasmaCam, i've seen that the software was really good and was hoping that there was something close to it on the market, thanks again.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

For every bad comment there are scores of happy PlasmaCAM table owners out cutting. They have seemed to really try hard to drum up negative feelings lately in the way they've handled their software updates. Most of this stems from their fighting thieves that pirated their software and gave it out with their new tables and sold hacked upgrades to PlasmaCAM owners. The steps they took have been taxing on current users and as such several have some bad feelings and rightfully so.

The software can be used to generate G code to run another brand table but their direct CAM control only works with their tables. I know of no other software exactly comparable to Design Edge but several options such as Enroute that do a good job for the CAD and then Sheetcam and Mach3 for the table. Or a program like Flash2cut which I believe is similar in that it is all in one but you'd have to check with other users of that as I have no experience with it at all.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I would not buy a PCam machine, as mentioned above, due to how they conduct their business. IMO, they hold their customers hostage. The capabilities and technical aspects of the setup are ok, but I'd never trust them as a business. There are too many other competitors that produce machines equally (or more) capable, but don't seem to have an open contempt for their customers.

rdj357 mentions above that "The software can be used to generate G code to run another brand table", but that is not correct. The Pcam user agreement prohibits owners from outputting files that can be used to "promote" (which they appear to take as "work with") any non-Pcam table. This means, even though DesignEdge CAN output a file as a DXF, if you DO output that DXF, and someone else cuts that DXF on their non-Pcam table, you are in breach of your agreement, and Pcam can come after you. And this has actually happened. The fact that the DXF was created in DesignEdge is encoded in the file, and Pcam can use this as proof that DesignEdge created a file that was used on another machine. his is the reason one of the large file makers/sellers has dropped out of the market since the spring.

That being said, something like FlashCut offers much the same all-in-one (CAD/CAM) solution as DesignEdge, and it can be incorporated into any build. I've read largely positive review of FlashCut (or the Westcott branded version, Design2Cut), and I'd strongly consider either of those if I needed/wanted an all-in-one setup. As a matter of fact, I'm considering them as a replacement to my CandCNC setup, due to frustrations I have with it.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

motoguy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:31 pm I would not buy a PCam machine, as mentioned above, due to how they conduct their business. IMO, they hold their customers hostage. The capabilities and technical aspects of the setup are ok, but I'd never trust them as a business. There are too many other competitors that produce machines equally (or more) capable, but don't seem to have an open contempt for their customers.

rdj357 mentions above that "The software can be used to generate G code to run another brand table", but that is not correct. The Pcam user agreement prohibits owners from outputting files that can be used to "promote" (which they appear to take as "work with") any non-Pcam table. This means, even though DesignEdge CAN output a file as a DXF, if you DO output that DXF, and someone else cuts that DXF on their non-Pcam table, you are in breach of your agreement, and Pcam can come after you. And this has actually happened. The fact that the DXF was created in DesignEdge is encoded in the file, and Pcam can use this as proof that DesignEdge created a file that was used on another machine. his is the reason one of the large file makers/sellers has dropped out of the market since the spring.

That being said, something like FlashCut offers much the same all-in-one (CAD/CAM) solution as DesignEdge, and it can be incorporated into any build. I've read largely positive review of FlashCut (or the Westcott branded version, Design2Cut), and I'd strongly consider either of those if I needed/wanted an all-in-one setup. As a matter of fact, I'm considering them as a replacement to my CandCNC setup, due to frustrations I have with it.
This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen in awhile. Fine if you don't want to do business with them but you are stating things as fact when you apparently have zero personal experience with them.

Their software is quite capable to export G-Code to work with other machines. They do and/or have in fact sold the software as a stand alone product to be used for exactly that. I'd certainly be interested to hear more about this person who 'dropped out of the market' as it is quite possible they were using one of the stolen/hacked products that one of the head guys over at Westcott was found to be stealing and reselling/packaging with their tables. You know what, no I wouldn't want to hear about it because there's no way we'll get the true story and it will devolve the discussion into a hot mess. I'll just say, I don't believe that at all.

FlashCut probably has a good product as I mentioned in my post. It is well worth looking into. PlasmaCAM isn't for everyone but let's keep the discussion at least reasonably close to fact.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

rdj357 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:18 am This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen in awhile. Fine if you don't want to do business with them but you are stating things as fact when you apparently have zero personal experience with them.

Their software is quite capable to export G-Code to work with other machines. They do and/or have in fact sold the software as a stand alone product to be used for exactly that. I'd certainly be interested to hear more about this person who 'dropped out of the market' as it is quite possible they were using one of the stolen/hacked products that one of the head guys over at Westcott was found to be stealing and reselling/packaging with their tables. You know what, no I wouldn't want to hear about it because there's no way we'll get the true story and it will devolve the discussion into a hot mess. I'll just say, I don't believe that at all.

FlashCut probably has a good product as I mentioned in my post. It is well worth looking into. PlasmaCAM isn't for everyone but let's keep the discussion at least reasonably close to fact.
I agree it's ridiculous, but not in the way you think. I do have zero personal experience. That zero personal experience is based on the personal experiences that have been gleaned from owners I've had conversations with. I'd not touch them with a ten foot pole. Again, not solely because of the hardware or product their tables can generate...rather, because I abhor their business practices. As far as the hardware goes, I think it's sufficient, and you can create acceptable product with it (people who's opinion I trust have Pcam/Samson tables, and they make money with them every day). However, I feel there are much better values out there as far as hardware, so I'm not drawn to them in that regard, either.

I'm not stating the software CAN'T export g-code (or dxf). I'm stating they may come after you for doing so, even if you are using their (legit) software that came with the (legit) Pcam machine you purchased. The person using the software above wasn't using a "stolen/hacked" product (you are incorrect with your Westcott claims, btw), and personally, I feel he had a defense against their claims. Then again, my family wasn't the one targeted by a lawsuit, and settling may make much more sense in that situation.

You don't have to believe my statements. I'm not forcing you to. With some searching, I'm sure you can see the same attorney's letters that I've seen. The plasma cutting community is rather small, after all.

Pcam products? While I feel there are better values in the market, the product is certainly capable. The owners/managers of the company, though, I'd never trust with my money.
see&see

Post by see&see »

We could all banter back and forth here forever but it's glaringly obvious that PlasmaCam isn't trying to "delight" their table owners in any way.

I believe their market strategy is that PlasmaCam customers don’t actually want to buy their products but they want to buy a specific result the product gives them and the companies attitude doesn't matter. I'm happy with the results of both tables aside from them screwing with my software and computers but any further purchase from PC is hanging in the balance simply because of that and their attitude..

There is no doubt that once you buy the product the marketing attitude flips over completely. Whether that's by accident or design is any ones guess.

In my case the PlasmaCam amateurish update trick to disable certain systems and other applications that "might" allow someone to run the program on more than one table really pissed me off costing me time and grief and is still ongoing. Of course the first teenage hacker will quickly find a way around that so their knee-jerk solution will most likely be to block more applications and computers that will further screw the legal DE owners IMO..

Most businesses tend to build strong bonds with their customers who will most likely become influencers and unauthorized spokespeople for the brand but I believe the PlasmaCam legacy and sales could go down hill fast as the "big pain" element will become a target for other table builders.
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Agreed. Regardless of the reason, PCam is certainly gaining a reputation that the post-sale "ownership experience" sucks. Or, at least I'm seeing that opinion from far more people than I used to.
stones
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by stones »

Post such as this is exactly why I pulled the plug on ordering the Pcam setup and start to look at comparable options from different OEM's. Aftermarket support has to be a priority for a company to continue being in business. Sad actually, I was really looking forward to their product. Reputation and customer satisfaction history is all that any business has at the end of the day.

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”