Scaling with plasmaCAM software..??

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
awt112
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Scaling with plasmaCAM software..??

Post by awt112 »

First off I really enjoy this site and have gotten a lot of help here.. I was wondering if there is a way to scale the overall size of the 3D puzzles such as the dragonfly, but keep the same size gap slots.. say 12guage. I would like to make a giant 3D model but, want to use 12guage steel.. any help would be great.!!
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Scaling with plasmaCAM software..??

Post by BrianMick »

awt112 wrote:First off I really enjoy this site and have gotten a lot of help here.. I was wondering if there is a way to scale the overall size of the 3D puzzles such as the dragonfly, but keep the same size gap slots.. say 12guage. I would like to make a giant 3D model but, want to use 12guage steel.. any help would be great.!!
Not that I know of but if there is a way I would love to know it too. On some projects it could save me hours of work....
Brian
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

awt112 wrote:First off I really enjoy this site and have gotten a lot of help here.. I was wondering if there is a way to scale the overall size of the 3D puzzles such as the dragonfly, but keep the same size gap slots.. say 12guage. I would like to make a giant 3D model but, want to use 12guage steel.. any help would be great.!!
You would have to do the same process with any software.
I assume the width of the slot is all you want to change because the relative depth will have to change with the design.
Just scale the drawing to size.
Use "Break" and click on the ends of the slots to detach them from the main lines. I recommend having the "node point snap" enabled.
12 ga mild steel is about .105 so you need to scale each slot width to .105. You might want to measure your actual metal thickness because there is some
variation.
If the slots are now too long, you can easily break the line to length. If the slots are too short use "Edit Path" to stretch the length.

Kind of complicated but I use that method to make parts in different sizes.

george
awt112
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by awt112 »

Hey thanks George I'll give it a shot.. I'm just wanting to build a large 3D T-REX for my son so I need to scale the whole .DXF to large pieces and keep the slots to fit 12ga. thank you I'll post pics after I make it back to the shop and do this project.

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”