Need old plasma cam install disc

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need old plasma cam install disc

Post by rdj357 »

adbuch wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:42 pm You would need to have an original 3.11 cd to install the program. ....
David,

The latest version that will operate the 98-Z is 1.20 and it will not run on anything newer than Windows 98.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:39 pm
adbuch wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:42 pm You would need to have an original 3.11 cd to install the program. ....
David,

The latest version that will operate the 98-Z is 1.20 and it will not run on anything newer than Windows 98.
Robert - thanks for that clarification. So I think I see a new Plasmacam table in the OP2's future.
David
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Or a Linux conversion.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
dmccullo
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dmccullo »

Thanks for the reply. I do have an original v1.2 I had the latest update for the 98Z but can't remember the version number. I'm having trouble getting it to run with a new xp computer that I purchased after the other one crashed and thought maybe a newer version would help.

Thanks
Danny
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Sorry, no you'll have to have a machine running Windows 98 and you should be back in business.

eBay has been a good resource for others in this situation.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:46 pm Sorry, no you'll have to have a machine running Windows 98 and you should be back in business.

eBay has been a good resource for others in this situation.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
vicktrinity
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by vicktrinity »

I'm in the same boat as several members who post here. Bought a PlasmaCam Table and computer at auction, the computer is toast, have set up a Windows XP computer and installed Plasmacam version 2.03 using the badly damaged CD that came with the system. The PlasmaCam software will run, but when I go to settings it crashes windows with the Blue Screen. I can find NO information about PlasmaCam version compatability anywhere, and am very reluctant to call PlasmaCam directly based on the posts I have read on many groups like this one. This is a purely hobby machine, so other that what I paid at auction I am not looking to put significant money into it. Any help with PlasmaCam versions will be appreciated.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

vicktrinity wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:57 pm I'm in the same boat as several members who post here. Bought a PlasmaCam Table and computer at auction, the computer is toast, have set up a Windows XP computer and installed Plasmacam version 2.03 using the badly damaged CD that came with the system. The PlasmaCam software will run, but when I go to settings it crashes windows with the Blue Screen. I can find NO information about PlasmaCam version compatability anywhere, and am very reluctant to call PlasmaCam directly based on the posts I have read on many groups like this one. This is a purely hobby machine, so other that what I paid at auction I am not looking to put significant money into it. Any help with PlasmaCam versions will be appreciated.
It may be helpful if you would post some photos of your table, controller, etc. so we can see exactly what you have. Plasmacam no longer supports the older outdated software, but they do offer upgrades to bring your table up to current standards. You will however need to submit a transfer of ownership form to Plasmacam to get the table legally into your name in order to purchase parts, upgrades, etc.
David
vicktrinity
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by vicktrinity »

adbuch wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:07 pm
vicktrinity wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:57 pm I'm in the same boat as several members who post here. Bought a PlasmaCam Table and computer at auction, the computer is toast, have set up a Windows XP computer and installed Plasmacam version 2.03 using the badly damaged CD that came with the system. The PlasmaCam software will run, but when I go to settings it crashes windows with the Blue Screen. I can find NO information about PlasmaCam version compatability anywhere, and am very reluctant to call PlasmaCam directly based on the posts I have read on many groups like this one. This is a purely hobby machine, so other that what I paid at auction I am not looking to put significant money into it. Any help with PlasmaCam versions will be appreciated.
It may be helpful if you would post some photos of your table, controller, etc. so we can see exactly what you have. Plasmacam no longer supports the older outdated software, but they do offer upgrades to bring your table up to current standards. You will however need to submit a transfer of ownership form to Plasmacam to get the table legally into your name in order to purchase parts, upgrades, etc.
David
Good point. I'll snap some pics and post them - but submitting forms and "legally"? transferring ownership? No. I will not support a company that does business this way. I bought a used Porsche, but I didn't have to send an application to Germany to get a new water pump. If I can't get this working as-is, Ill take the original controller off and replace it with motor drives I can run with Mach 3.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Same with a used Porsche. It would be normal for the buyer to transfer the title into his/her name and submit to dmv to achieve legal owner ship of the vehicle. If you don't wish to have access to support and/or upgrade parts, then you are correct that you will be pretty much on your own and very well may end up converting to stepper motors with some other DIY controller.
David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

adbuch wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 pm Same with a used Porsche. It would be normal for the buyer to transfer the title into his/her name and submit to dmv to achieve legal owner ship of the vehicle. If you don't wish to have access to support and/or upgrade parts, then you are correct that you will be pretty much on your own and very well may end up converting to stepper motors with some other DIY controller.
David
It's a little different than with a car. Transferring the car title is a government deal. It has nothing to do with the car manufacturer. The DMV didn't build the car. Porsche has no idea who buys and sells their used cars, and they probably don't care.
PlasmaCam seems to like a lot of control.
Btw:. Since you have requested information on one of their tables, they will continue to send you their advertising regularly even if you don't purchase from them. I get the same magazine from them every so often 6+ years after I purchased a different brand table.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

It really doesn't matter. If you wish to deal with Plasmacam you play by their rules.
David
vicktrinity
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by vicktrinity »

adbuch wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:25 pm It really doesn't matter. If you wish to deal with Plasmacam you play by their rules.
David
Agreed, I do not wish to deal with PlasmaCam.
djreiswig wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:22 pm
adbuch wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 pm Same with a used Porsche. It would be normal for the buyer to transfer the title into his/her name and submit to dmv to achieve legal owner ship of the vehicle. If you don't wish to have access to support and/or upgrade parts, then you are correct that you will be pretty much on your own and very well may end up converting to stepper motors with some other DIY controller.
David
It's a little different than with a car. Transferring the car title is a government deal. It has nothing to do with the car manufacturer. The DMV didn't build the car. Porsche has no idea who buys and sells their used cars, and they probably don't care.
Well Put!

Regarding being on my own with this project: as with the Porsche, I have found that there is a wealth of information and much more accessible help on user groups like this one compared to dealing with the manufacturer. Whenever I have a problem with it, and there have been many, my go-to is the other owners, not the factory manual or phone calls to the dealer.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Like many, many software companies - PlasmaCAM licenses their software for use. YOU and I do NOT own the software. We are licensed to use it. If you break the terms of the license agreement, you lose your right to use the software. This isn’t about registering car ownership with the government. It is about obtaining the right to use a piece of software. Unfortunately in this case, that software is so outdated that it’s no longer supported or available.

Bummer you got an ancient table at an auction that you won’t be able to use without a lot of trouble or modification. I’ve bought some bum stuff at auctions as well, it’s always a risk. You might be able to find someone who has an old 98-Z (which I assume you have) who wants to buy it for parts.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:40 am Like many, many software companies - PlasmaCAM licenses their software for use. YOU and I do NOT own the software. We are licensed to use it. If you break the terms of the license agreement, you lose your right to use the software. This isn’t about registering car ownership with the government. It is about obtaining the right to use a piece of software. Unfortunately in this case, that software is so outdated that it’s no longer supported or available.

Bummer you got an ancient table at an auction that you won’t be able to use without a lot of trouble or modification. I’ve bought some bum stuff at auctions as well, it’s always a risk. You might be able to find someone who has an old 98-Z (which I assume you have) who wants to buy it for parts.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
RDSTRAW
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by RDSTRAW »

has anyone found a download for plasmacam design edge? I bought my table table used and he didnt have any manuals or discs with it. HELP!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

RDSTRAW wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:51 pm has anyone found a download for plasmacam design edge? I bought my table table used and he didnt have any manuals or discs with it. HELP!
You will need to get a transfer of ownership form from Plasmacam and have the seller sign it and submit to Plasmacam so you can become the legal owner of the table at which point you will be entitled to use what ever software was purchased by the seller. You can contact Plasmacam directly to obtain a copy of the form. There are no sources for "downloads" other than directly from Plasmacam. Once you have your ownership transfer complete, you will be able to download the newest version of Design Edge directly from the Plasmacam site and no discs will be required. You will also receive the Video Manual which explains how to setup and use the table and software.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

RDSTRAW wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:51 pm has anyone found a download for plasmacam design edge? I bought my table table used and he didnt have any manuals or discs with it. HELP!

The first post... again. :lol:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Personally, I don't think PlasmaCam give s a flying ___ about their tables. Their software, the DesignEdge program, is their Golden Goose. Despite all of the falderal about other programs, Corel Draw, AutoCAD, etc. etc.... I dare say that if a competition were set up at a public venue to see which software program and table combination can go from a napkin sketch or a sheet of specs to a cut part, and you seat someone who KNOWS how to make the software SING, like me, or Robert J, or John D., or ??? PlasmaCam's DesignEdge software and their clunky, shaky, bolt-together, "toy" home hobby table will produce the part faster than anything else, EVERY TIME. PlasmaCam knows this! That is why they are not particularly bothered by all of the bells and whistles of other programs that offer a lot of "eye candy" without really improving the end result... that of turning, "Can you make ...?" into "Here is your part!"

I am but ONE of the many people who have submitted several suggestions to PlasmaCam, about features and functions of the software and the tables that they should really consider. Things like LAYERS, alternate line displays for color blind users, the ability to open TWO windows so you can work on a design in window 2 while the table is cutting in window 1. and countless other ideas that would really make DesignEdge SHINE! Alas ... I got tired of kicking that dead horse. It won't budge.

Still, I retain my 510 table and DesignEdge software, even if I purchase a laser or a waterjet, or some other machine in the future. The software is BETTER ENOUGH to convince me to hold onto it and retain full use of it, even if I am going to create something that has absolutely nothing to do with plasma cutting. You can poo-poo DesignEdge all you want, but the FACT is that it really IS superior to almost everything else out there when talking about "Idea to Part" timeframes.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
CRuscelli
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CRuscelli »

Uzaree wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:28 pmsent you a PM
Uzaree if I could get a PM when you get a chance, Im working to help my father get his old 4x4 plasmacam table up and running so I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The Plasmacam facebook groups are another possible source for obtaining 3.11.
David

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PlasmaCAM.Tips
plasmacam tips and tricks.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1124877220943063
plasmacam sampson.jpg
Uzaree
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Uzaree »

I still have the 3.11 on my google drive I believe. I can't believe how many times I've given this out.
Amada CO2 3500 laser
Amada NT1303 CNC Press Brake
HAAS ST35Y
HAAS VF4SS
Solidworks CAD design
Tube Bending
Welding and Fabrication
HoltFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by HoltFab »

Uzaree wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:02 pm I still have the 3.11 on my google drive I believe. I can't believe how many times I've given this out.
Hey Uzaree,

Any chance I could ask you to share it with me as well? I just inherited a DHC2 from my grandpa and I'm trying to get up and running. Tried to send you a PM, but because I'm new to the forum I'm not allowed to yet...
Uzaree
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Uzaree »

I sent you a PM
Amada CO2 3500 laser
Amada NT1303 CNC Press Brake
HAAS ST35Y
HAAS VF4SS
Solidworks CAD design
Tube Bending
Welding and Fabrication
wompom
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wompom »

Uzaree wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:33 pm I sent you a PM
Hey, I also am looking for this. Bump from the dead, I know. Signed up for the Fb groups and trying to figure out how to get the software to run a DH2 I inherited. I do not have a way to do a transfer of ownership since the original owner is deceased. PC office is no help.

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”