Need old plasma cam install disc

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Plasmascam
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Need old plasma cam install disc

Post by Plasmascam »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I definitely could, and would enjoy, sharing my feelings and stories here about a certain company, but I fear that will summon the shills and liars.

I'm looking for the software that came with our machine and has since been lost due to the death of the pc. At one point, we had two versions; 2.1 and 3.1, or whatever their respective numbers are. We never sold the machine, transferred ownership, etc. We just no longer have any software that will run the same machine bought 15+ years ago. As far as reason, common sense, honesty and good will goes, I feel that software should be made available by the seller to anyone possessing the SN of a table. It was included with the sale of the machine, necessary for the machine to function, and the company should be obligated by the aforementioned reasons to help.

Can anyone provide me with information to reacquire the latest version before DE? It seems that I remember using the middle mouse button in V3 and that's what I'm looking for. My father may have once purchased DE, but I understand that is a yearly license software and we're not interested in buying again. I remember that V3 had more right click and middle click features and would like to regain that functionality. We want to find the last version before they moved to a yearly license.

As an aside, is Fusion 360 capable of interfacing with and running a Plasmascam table?
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Plasmascam wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:53 am Thanks for the replies, guys. I definitely could, and would enjoy, sharing my feelings and stories here about a certain company, but I fear that will summon the shills and liars.

I'm looking for the software that came with our machine and has since been lost due to the death of the pc. At one point, we had two versions; 2.1 and 3.1, or whatever their respective numbers are. We never sold the machine, transferred ownership, etc. We just no longer have any software that will run the same machine bought 15+ years ago. As far as reason, common sense, honesty and good will goes, I feel that software should be made available by the seller to anyone possessing the SN of a table. It was included with the sale of the machine, necessary for the machine to function, and the company should be obligated by the aforementioned reasons to help.

Can anyone provide me with information to reacquire the latest version before DE? It seems that I remember using the middle mouse button in V3 and that's what I'm looking for. My father may have once purchased DE, but I understand that is a yearly license software and we're not interested in buying again. I remember that V3 had more right click and middle click features and would like to regain that functionality. We want to find the last version before they moved to a yearly license.
The company (Plasmacam) has made it clear that any distribution of software except by the manufacturer (Plasmacam) is a violation of the software licensing agreement and they will pursue legal action against any such violations. I agree that they should provide this to registered table owners but they don't listen to me either.

The most recent version (pre DE) was 3.11 - If Design Edge was ever purchased then you own it, there is no yearly subscription/licensing. They still sell the upgrade to go from 3.11 or older to currend Design Edge.
Plasmascam wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:53 am As an aside, is Fusion 360 capable of interfacing with and running a Plasmascam table?
I am not aware of any software available that will control the table directly.
SteelyDan06
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SteelyDan06 »

I moved from a 30,000 square ft facility last year to downsize and start teaching Advanced Mfg at a high school tech center. My current shop is 5k sq ft so you can imagine how much equipment is packed away/stored and misplaced. In the move I misplaced all my software and my plasmacam has suddenly become disagreeable so I need to uninstall and reinstall the software. I’ve had it 14 years, and it’s been a solid little table once I learned it’s quirks and limitations. I probably sold 30 plus systems for these clowns over the years because I demonstrated the table for Agri teachers all over Arkansas, and showed them the basics, all for free. Most of those tables have been worn out or torn up and now they’re moving to Lincoln Torchmate systems that I use at school and really loathe. Anyway, I need a replacement disc if someone out there can point me to a source. Like most of you I haven’t had good experiences with the boys in Colorado, over the years I spoke to one singular individual there that was helpful and understood my frustration with their poor customer service and snarky attitudes. I’ve owned my shop for 35 years at times with 25 employees in the 90’s, and bought pieces of equipment that cost more than my house. I would never treat a customer the way they routinely treat theirs. The PC is just a toy but it’s fun and I’d like to keep using it if I can fix this problem. Thank you all so much, this looks like a great site and I’ll be using it frequently now that I’ve found it!
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

SteelDan,

PM sent.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Wow! Helluva first post. Hopefully beefy can lend some help to you. Welcome! Lotsa helpful people here.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

SteelyDan06 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:21 pm I would never treat a customer the way they routinely treat theirs.
Ha ha, I came across this thread a couple of days ago:
https://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasmaca ... tware.html

and thought post #5 was funny where the posters first line was, "I've never seen a company that works so hard to put itself out of business. "
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

beefy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:56 am and thought post #5 was funny where the posters first line was, "I've never seen a company that works so hard to put itself out of business. "
Haha yep, there's never a dull moment with Joe Jones. We agree on some and disagree on some but on this point, I agree with him. It's shocking to me some of the things they do when it would be so simple to be a little more amicable.
Fabricator 89
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Fabricator 89 »

Has anyone had luck finding the older software? My computer has crashed and Plasmacam will only help me if I purchase the $2k software upgrade. I am happy with the old software and have no need to upgrade. I have looked into swapping out the controller but that's not the preferred route. Any assistance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

Depending on the reason your computer crashed you can sometimes have all files on your hard drive recovered easily.

Dave Hanks
jeffsmith333
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeffsmith333 »

wyopower wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:16 pm My old plasma cam pc crashed and burned. I got a new computer, but i do not have plasma cam install disc. i miss plased it or lost it over the years i guess.. I called plasma cam and they said for 1200 bucks i can up grade to new version and get new disc.. Problem is i dont have 1200 bucks and only use this unit a few times per year, so i was wondering if any one new where i could get a hard disc CD of the older plasma cam install disc?
Thanks in advance
Wyopower :?:
So I tried everything to get my Plasmacam off dead pc, but nothing and I can not find my install disc, called company to get old version that I have been using and they told me I had to upgrade.... if anyone has version 3.x install that can share a copy I would be greatful.
DXF

Post by DXF »

Have you tried removing the hard drive and connecting it to another. I just had that done on a computer that crashed and got all my files off it.....I did not do this my computer guy did. I think someone in another post has the software you are looking for.

Dave Hanks
98zcam
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 98zcam »

Uzaree wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 am I can help if anyone needs help still. inbox me.
Hey I was wondering if by chance you still had a copy of the old software I just picked up a 98z table and the owner passed away and throw away the computer thinking it was junk. I can’t seem to find it anywhere and I called PLASMACAM and they said they stopped making them it also looks like the machine has been modified with a electric up and down motor for the torch. Thank you
Cvanden87
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Cvanden87 »

Uzaree wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:53 pm I've used my plasmacam for 14 years. It allowed me to buy my laser. They are plenty robust. Now that being said, If anyone needs the software I have it and can email it to you. I don't check this very often because it doesn't notify me I get msg's.
I am a new member here. I have had my plasmacam dhc for about 6yrs now. my Computer took a crap on me when i was moving shops I was wonding if you could help me out. Looking for version 3.11
Uzaree
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Uzaree »

sent you a PM
Amada CO2 3500 laser
Amada NT1303 CNC Press Brake
HAAS ST35Y
HAAS VF4SS
Solidworks CAD design
Tube Bending
Welding and Fabrication
kyain
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kyain »

funny how you find people in the same situation you're in out of the blue. Have a table that the owner passed away and we can't get into the computer, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get software from them to support their own machine.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

kyain wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 pm funny how you find people in the same situation you're in out of the blue. Have a table that the owner passed away and we can't get into the computer, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get software from them to support their own machine.
There is a way even if you don't choose to do so.

Call Plasmacam with the serial number and explain the situation. Inquire about the software version of the machine (3.11 or Design Edge).

If it is on Design Edge you'd just need to have the estate complete a transfer of ownership and send it to them and you can download the software for free.

If it is on 3.11 then you'd have to complete the transfer of ownership and upgrade from the decades old 3.11 software to Design Edge for $2k and then you'd be able to download and use the current version software. (If it is the old DHC model then it would be worth considering the hardware/software upgrade for $7k to get it to a like new, current model table instead of the $2k software only upgrade)

Again, maybe not what you're wanting to do but there is definitely a way.
kyain
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kyain »

Yea, I'm going through the transfer of ownership debacle now. Waiting on the gent's son to fill out his portion of it and send it back to me. I did find the 3.11 software so I'm waiting on a parallel port adapter to show up and hopefully get it up and running on that.

if it ends up going down the $2k+ route it won't be staying with plasmacam products. I've already built a diy 4 axis cnc mill with acorn and dmm servos, and should have no problem converting this one. Was just kind of surprised at how the company won't even speak to you or give you pricing or ANY information at all prior to completing all the transfer of ownership stuff. They will not tell you anything about what software version you have or the next steps w/o taking the few days to transfer ownership.

Like seriously, save us both the time. That table should have x software. if it's design edge awesome, I'll transfer it all, if it's 3.11 and you won't give me a copy anyways, we don't need to be having this conversation or wasting each others time with the transfer.

Sorry for the first post being a rant too. Was venting a bit at a needlessly complicated situation lol. I promise I'm not a sour puss all the time.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:16 am
kyain wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 pm funny how you find people in the same situation you're in out of the blue. Have a table that the owner passed away and we can't get into the computer, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get software from them to support their own machine.
There is a way even if you don't choose to do so.

Call Plasmacam with the serial number and explain the situation. Inquire about the software version of the machine (3.11 or Design Edge).

If it is on Design Edge you'd just need to have the estate complete a transfer of ownership and send it to them and you can download the software for free.

If it is on 3.11 then you'd have to complete the transfer of ownership and upgrade from the decades old 3.11 software to Design Edge for $2k and then you'd be able to download and use the current version software. (If it is the old DHC model then it would be worth considering the hardware/software upgrade for $7k to get it to a like new, current model table instead of the $2k software only upgrade)

Again, maybe not what you're wanting to do but there is definitely a way.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I am surprised no one posts a copy of the software online, the old stuff they don't support.

you can't use it without their hardware, so it's not like you could use it with other hardware.

I do feel sorry for the number of people who read about plasmacam, see a secondhand one cheap(er than buying a new one), think they have a bargain and end up with paperwork correspondence with the manufacturer.

if you can't get the paperwork filled in for whatever reason, what happens then?
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I bet PlasmaCam would probably find it and force you to pull it down.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
kyain
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kyain »

I'm at the very least not completely blind sided by this. I had found tons of comments about their lack of customer service in regards to this stuff and the forcing of customers to try and update. I still ended up with a good deal even if I have to rip every piece of plasmacam electronics off the table and start fresh, but am hopeful I can get it goin with what I have right now.

I was surprised at how they seem to go out of their way to make it even more difficult then it should be. It really should just be, ok you have table serial blah blah, it included software x.xx, and we don't support that anymore, or we do support that, and need to get you registered as a customer. Technical support will not even speak with you unless you give all of your details/information, (and passed it along as once we have that we can discuss options), to then turn around and go, ok well we're done here until you transfer ownership and have no information to give you at this time. They will not even say how much their new software would cost until you transfer ownership.

And there are a few copies of it online. I was able to track it down. I'm just waiting on a cable to show up today to see if I can get connected with my laptop through a usb to lpt adapter. If not then I'll be looking at scrapping together a PC or just saying screw it and doing an ESS/mach conversion anyways.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

kyain wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:01 amI'm just waiting on a cable to show up today to see if I can get connected with my laptop through a usb to lpt adapter. If not then I'll be looking at scrapping together a PC or just saying screw it and doing an ESS/mach conversion anyways.
I can save you the trouble. The USB to LPT adapter will not work.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

robertspark wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:53 am you can't use it without their hardware, so it's not like you could use it with other hardware.
But that's not true. You can easily create drawings and export them to G-Code so it would essentially replace your drawing program and Sheetcam with ease.
dmccullo
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dmccullo »

I know this is an old post but I'm in a similar situation. I still have a 98z table but my computer that had the software took a crap. Is there anyway to get a pre design edge version of the software? Without it My machine is dead in the water. Thanks for any help.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

dmccullo wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:08 pm I know this is an old post but I'm in a similar situation. I still have a 98z table but my computer that had the software took a crap. Is there anyway to get a pre design edge version of the software? Without it My machine is dead in the water. Thanks for any help.
You would need to have an original 3.11 cd to install the program. You may also be able to extract the original files from the hard drive from your bad computer by attaching the old hard drive as a second drive to another computer and copying the 3.11 files. Unfortunately Plasmacam no longer supports the older software.
David

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”