3.11 upgrade

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
MQUICK
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

3.11 upgrade

Post by MQUICK »

Back in May, PCAM sent out the new software 3.11 upgrade. Well I just got around to load it. Everything almost went OK. I can no longer print in the program or preview. Everything works OK. Has anyone had this problem?
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 3.11 upgrade

Post by Loyd »

To tell the truth I have NEVER used print preview or print in PCam. I have had it nearly 4 years. I did just try both functions with the new software and it worked great!
Now, tell me why I should use those functions? Remember I am just a dumb ole jarhead....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

I couldn't live without them.

My customers are sent an email with a 'picture' of each step, for them to make changes and to finally approve. That's my signature for approval and I don't cut until I get it.

I've tried to use a 'print to file' but haven't figured it out yet. So I print from PCam, scan to a file and include the picture in the message - not as an attachment, but right in the text.

It's a PITA but the best I have so far.

Dano
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

Same here. I use the print function all the time. I upgraded to 3.11 a while back and have had no problems. Nice to print out what the customer is getting. Also, if you have a folder or catalog of your artwork you can print out a picture and label it with the filename on it for future reference. Sometimes I need a printout that shows the solid areas of the drawing filled in with color. I simply export the drawing as a .dxf file, open it with the Free DWG Viewer program and save it as a .jpg file. I then open the file in Paintshop and use the fill function to color it. Works real good unless the drawing has some fine detail in it.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
MQUICK
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by MQUICK »

I have a program called paperport that I use to print out to. It saves them as a PDF file. It will let be send the file to paint and I fill the drawing so you see what it looks like when cut. I save this file side by side with my Pcam file in paperport. So when you see the drawing you like the cutting file is right there. I break the files into groups. (bikes, fish, birds trees and on and on) You can print the drawing out for a customer on send him the PDF. It can save the file into almost any type pic file.
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

OK, I am not that sophisticated .....I suppose I don't do enough work for other people to have to do that.
Thanks,
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
GeorgeNewman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GeorgeNewman »

I generally do a screen print. I change the PlasmaCam colors to white background, white points, black closed lines and yellow open lines. Hit screen print, then I open Paint, and ctrl-v. Do a black fill and save as 2 color bitmap whatever. To change Pcam back all I have to do is check the "Use standard PlasmaCam colors" box. Works for me and takes about 15 seconds.

George
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by elkriverfab »

GeorgeNewman wrote:I generally do a screen print. I change the PlasmaCam colors to white background, white points, black closed lines and yellow open lines. Hit screen print, then I open Paint, and ctrl-v. Do a black fill and save as 2 color bitmap whatever. To change Pcam back all I have to do is check the "Use standard PlasmaCam colors" box. Works for me and takes about 15 seconds.

George
George,
Could you please explain that a little more.

I use plasmacam and I would like to try what you are talking about.

Changing colors has always been an option when scanning or importing certain files.

How do you change them to print?

Maybe I am not thinking or it's a Sunday brain freeze.......

Just wondering how you are doing this. I would like to give it a try.

Thanks.
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
GeorgeNewman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GeorgeNewman »

In the PlasmaCam program, tab brings up settings. You want the drawing view tab. Just above the OK and cancel is the "Colors" button. click it. take the check out of the "Use standard PlasmaCam colors" box. Then pick what colors you want for the various parts of the file. I use white for the background and grid/grate, black for closed paths and yellow for open paths because it will show white when you later save to a 2 color bitmap.then ok out to the file. then use the screenprint key. That really just copies the screen to the clipboard. then ctrl-v pastes it to paint ( or most anywhere else) do a black fill and save it as a 2 color bitmap. go back to the settings and check the "Use standard PlasmaCam colors" box. that's all. It takes longer to say it than do it.

I've been dinking around today writing a little html so you can click on the bitmap and open the pcam file. It works somewhat so far.
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by elkriverfab »

George,

There is no color button in the drawing and editing tab (settings).

I am using plasmacam 2.10

This may be why I can't find it.

The only time color selection comes up is...... when I try to scan a image into the software.

The color selection screen comes up and allows me to select.

I think it's the version of plasmacam I am using??
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

elkriverfab wrote:George,

There is no color button in the drawing and editing tab (settings).

I am using plasmacam 2.10

This may be why I can't find it.

The only time color selection comes up is...... when I try to scan a image into the software.

The color selection screen comes up and allows me to select.

I think it's the version of plasmacam I am using??

I'm not George but I would bet it is the version you are using. If you call PlasmaCam tech support they can tell you if the latest version (3.11) is compatable with your machine. My upgrade was free. I don't know if they do that for all versions or not but I think all of their software upgrades are free.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
GeorgeNewman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GeorgeNewman »

I agree about the version. You can still do screen prints but it takes a couple more steps in Paint or whichever program you are using. I use my method so I can do fills to show the metal parts.

George
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

The 3.11 upgrade DVD was mailed to all reigistered Plasmacam DHC, DHC2 and Samson owners whether the machine was bought new or used. It is not compatible with the old 98-Z machines. If you did not get the DVD, it is still available for $10 plus shipping. Also, tech support is free to all owners of any model Plasmacam and Samson, new or used. Just need to register you machine at no charge.

The PRINT function will work with all versions of the software.
You can also use your computers "Print Screen" key to capture the image and then open Windows Paint and paste it in there.

George

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”