Problems with converting to cut path

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
bboyersbad4x4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Problems with converting to cut path

Post by bboyersbad4x4 »

I have to say this website has helped me indefinitely with the Plasma cutter I am using. Thanks for all the help!! My problem is that there are a few files that i have gotten off of here that when i try to convert them to cut path some lines go haywire. I have no problems imorting them or linking the segments, but when i go to convert them they start to shoot lines off across the screen. Any suggestions?
Thanks Bryce
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Problems with converting to cut path

Post by Loyd »

What type of program are you using and what program are the files coming from that you are downloading?
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
JJ13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JJ13 »

Are you by chance running a torchmate machine? I have the same issues with my software, with no rhyme or reason to when it happens.
ROCKY
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ROCKY »

i had similar issues with my plasmacam software, usually when converting to a cut path on smaller drawings, i find that if i scale the drawing larger then, convert to cut path and then scale it back to its original size usually works....GOOD LUCK !
bboyersbad4x4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bboyersbad4x4 »

Well I'm not really familiar with programs quite yet, and which ones do what. I'm kinda teaching myself as i go. But from what i can tell the files i am having trouble with are .pcm files. The software and machine are PlasmaCam.
Making the picture bigger did help a little but it still did the same thing.
Thanks Bryce
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigrhamr »

It sounds like your kerf compensation (offset) is causing paths to overlap and distort. Try turning it off or setting at a lower number.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

I've had no end of problems getting used to the PlasmaCam software. Some day I'll look back and smile about it but there's nothing funny about it right now.

The lines going everywhere are a problem related to the distance to jump and the delete segments within n inches settings. (I think).

Then there all those pesky little triangles at angled intersections that show up. Rather than lose more hair trying to tweak the settings, I just zoom in and use the trim function. I get exasperated with all the changes that are made to the file when the segments are linked. If I could get the settings right I'd be golden, but it just isn't 'clicking' for me yet.

I won't use the smooth functions at all. That one really screws things up for me!
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
ppavicich
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ppavicich »

i have exactly the same problem with my plasmacam machine , the main problem is when i scan a picture in .i can scan a pic in but when i go to convert to cut path , lines go in all directions , ive tried changing the kerf widths ,arc resolutions ,arc recognition tolerance , but still the lines go haywire , im using metric software, if some one could help out with this problem that would be great.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I used to have these types of issues with my PlasmaCam software as well. The fix is with getting all of the settings correct in the software. Mine works flawlessly now......and has for so long (I have owned two PlasmaCam machines over the last 9 years!) that I forgot what settings affected these issues.

My suggestion for PlasmaCam owners is to join the Yahoo User Group called PlasmaPig. This is an independant group of over 500 PlasmaCam owners that have a wealth of information on making your PlasmaCam operate very well. You must prove ownership to join.......and once you join you can post and search the archives for the particular problems you are having. The PlasmaPig site is a great site for keeping your machine running at its best capability.

Jim Colt
bboyersbad4x4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bboyersbad4x4 »

:D Great thanks for all the input. I'll be sure to try all those.
Thanks Bryce

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”