Tracing vehicles in DesignEdge

Post your questions or tips on Plasmacam software in this topic.
DXF
Elite Contributing Member

Tracing vehicles in DesignEdge

Post by DXF » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:51 pm

What is the best method for tracing cars, boats, motorcycles, trucks etc. using DesignEdge? Thanks, I have tried using Imaengine with not real good results so far. I have used the bezier tool in Inkscape and Corel Draw. Here's one I am going to trace and have lots more to trace

Dave Hanks

You do not have access to view or download this file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to this feature. Click Here

plasmanewbie

Re: Tracing vehicles in DesignEdge

Post by plasmanewbie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:21 pm

Never used Designedge, I am a CorelDRAW, bezier tool kinda guy. I use the node reduction tool when I am done with the bezier to smooth out the curves. I found Imaengine to be pretty impressive and use it all the time for designs I want to scribe but for plasma I go manual trace almost every time.

DXF

Post by DXF » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:41 pm

plasmanewbie wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:21 pm
Never used Designedge, I am a CorelDRAW, bezier tool kinda guy. I use the node reduction tool when I am done with the bezier to smooth out the curves. I found Imaengine to be pretty impressive and use it all the time for designs I want to scribe but for plasma I go manual trace almost every time.
Got it.....thanks!

Dave Hanks

rdj357

Post by rdj357 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:41 am

I use the bulge tool in Design Edge, it's pretty quick! Also I use Paint.NET (getpaint.net/download.html for free download) because I don't have Photoshop but I use the artistic effects of Pen and Pencil Sketch to make different versions of the image to trace and capture all the details. I have several videos showing my process, the 3B Farms sign video on YouTube is a lot of the bulge tool and how I use it. Links to that stuff are in my signature.
Robert Johnson
----- PlasmaCam 5x10 Table -----
FourNinety Creations & Learn PC, LLC

Learn Plasmacam Website
Learn Plasmacam on Facebook
Learn Plasmacam on YouTube

DXF

Post by DXF » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:28 am

rdj357 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:41 am
I use the bulge tool in Design Edge, it's pretty quick! Also I use Paint.NET (getpaint.net/download.html for free download) because I don't have Photoshop but I use the artistic effects of Pen and Pencil Sketch to make different versions of the image to trace and capture all the details. I have several videos showing my process, the 3B Farms sign video on YouTube is a lot of the bulge tool and how I use it. Links to that stuff are in my signature.
Thanks! Wow, you have made a lot of instructional videos. I purchased DesignEdge and DHC2 in February and have yet to use it. I am still using Plasma Cam 1.2 to design :mrgreen:
Dave Hanks

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi Dave,

You are in Mountain City, TN.? I am in Franklin, KY. Hmmm... (Checking Google maps... :roll: ) only 351 miles from my home ... 5 hr 45 min + one hour loss in a time change.... I could come over to train you if you like. I will be available after December 5th, 2019. I could swing by on my way back from VA. I will probably head past your home on Dec 5th. I do charge for the time, but since you are already familiar with their older software, I think it would go well!

What upgrades (if any) have you purchased with your DesignEdge license? Moving UP to DesignEdge from the older software may mean you LOSE some capabilities unless you add them to the DE license.

DesignEdge is fantastic for tracing vehicles, or anything else, BUT you really should have the advanced design upgrade in order to take full advantage of the program. For the table, I recommend Advanced machine control and advanced height control for the BEST PlasmaCam experience, but you can get by with less.

If you REALLY want to do it right, get a pen tablet or a PC with a touch screen that allows direct on screen input with a digital pen. I use a Microsoft Surface PRO tablet PC which works great for designing.

Robert has done many training videos on You Tube. He is very knowledgeable about the software. I have also made about 150 You Tube videos to show you various things about DesignEdge. Search for "PlasmaCam / Samson 510 CNC -"

I could do a video to show you how to trace a vehicle, using the car in the image above, but not right now, as I am preparing to head to Florida and Virginia to do some software training for two PlasmaCam owners who, like everyone else, got frustrated with their purchases and shoved the machines into a dark, dingy corner. When I get done with them, they'll be smiling, and actually see a light at the end of the tunnel toward their goals to Make Money In Metal Art!

Joe

Return to “Plasmacam Software”

Easyscriber engrave attachment for Hypertherm plasma cutters.