Torchmate EDU to DXF File

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
CoachPayne
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torchmate EDU to DXF File

Post by CoachPayne »

Good afternoon Guys and Girls,

I'm a High School Welding Teacher. I have always had a Torchmate and all the files I have from about 5 years of CAD are all Torchmate EDU files. I saved all of my files when I moved school districts but I did not realize you have to have the Master version of Torchmate CAD in order to export as a DXF file. Well I found that out after I no longer have access to the Master version. I have a file that I need to cut that took me several hours to create and went to convert it so my new table would accept the file but I can not convert it to DXF.

So my first question is, does anyone know of a way to convert them? Second would anyone that has torchmate CAD be willing to convert a few files for me so I can cut this firepit?

Thanks in Advance.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate EDU to DXF File

Post by adbuch »

I am sorry to say that I don't know of any way to convert your Torchmate EDU files. I wonder what it would cost to purchase a seat for the Torchmate software. If you have many files to do, then that might be a possibility.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

From the Torchmate website

"Each Torchmate EDU software package comes with one master license and an unlimited supply of student licenses. The only difference between the two licenses is in the exporting of files. The master license is the only license allowed to export readable CAD/CAM files. Student licenses are limited to exporting .edu files, which allows the teachers to moderate and approve student-designed artwork, giving them more control of how the table is used in the classroom."

Looks like you need the PC with the master license to export usable CAD/CAM files.

Maybe this info will help you to get usable files. Good luck.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

As the OP said, he will need the Master version of Torchmate CAD in order to export his files. Sort of like Plasmacam with the pcm files - Design Edge is required to export the pcm files in dxf format.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Hi Coach,

I like a good challenge! :Yay

Send me one or two of the files you want to convert, and let me take a crack at it.

Send them to this email address: addmenow (at) mail (dot) com

I like to think outside of the box. I might be able to help you.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

if you upload 1 here maybe someone can take a look

this guy can take a look too

viewtopic.php?t=19845
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

adbuch wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:23 pm As the OP said, he will need the Master version of Torchmate CAD in order to export his files.
10-4 David, I mush have glanced over that part. Now I am curious to open one of these edu files in a text editor and see what its all about.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

02-06-2022

First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Jones
Phone: *************
Email: *************
Zip Code: 42134
State: KY
Comments:

Hi,

What are my options for converting .EDU files to .DXF files? Can they be converted into another common format for use on another machine, such as a Vinyl Cutter or a plotter?

I DO NOT have the master Torchmate software, but I do have many .EDU files. Can they be imported into some other software into another format for a mid-conversion option that can then be converted into something else, such as into AutoCad, or Fusion 360, or ???

It is impractical to purchase a Master Torchmate software license just to convert a few dozen files.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Joe Jones
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Joel Kujawski <joel_kujawski (at) lincolnelectric.com>
To: Joe Jones

Mon, Feb 7 at 8:14 AM

Good morning Joseph,

Thanks for reaching out to our support team.

Unfortunately the only way to utilize a .EDU file is the Master version of the software.

The .EDU files are created from the free Student version of the software, which is meant for students to be able to download and use without schools needing to purchase a dongle for every student.

The student can download and fully use the program, but can only save as a .EDU file, which can only be read by the Master version of the software. This also allows teachers to verify the student's work in the Master version prior to cutting anything.

The Student version is also often times used to demo the software by customers interested in purchasing the full version.
Again, the Student version is free to download and use, but you cannot utilize any drawing without the Master software, as to we don't want people to be able to utilize our software without paying for it.

Thanks.
Have a good day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Joe Jones
Joel Kujawski
Mon, Feb 7 at 1:07 PM

Hello Joel,

Thank you for your quick response. I fully understand your desire to prevent people from using your software without paying for it. However, situations do arise where people who have created legitimate designs while legally USING your software, now have those designs on a thumb drive for example, and yet they no longer have access to your master software.

The situation I refer to specifically is a person who is asking about how to convert many files and art drawings that HE CREATED while LEGALLY using your master software in an instructional or industrial setting, but who has now left the school or the Company he was working for at the time those files were created.

He has a large personal collection of art files that he created which he would now would like to use on his home hobby CNC plasma table in DXF format, or perhaps allow his wife to use on a cricket vinyl cutter for example. All of those files are currently in your proprietary EDU Format on a thumb drive, and you have provided absolutely no means for converting those existing files into a format that can be used with other software, or on another machine.

Your policy of offering NO WAY to convert existing EDU files that were legally created by a person who was legally using your master Software at the time, creates a situation where the person is left out in the cold simply because his circumstances have ended his access to your master software.

As you well know, Plasmacam has their own proprietary software version of files called .PCM Files, and without their DesignEDGE software, The PCM files are useless to anybody who wishes to use them in the future, yet who NO LONGER has access to that software.

PlasmaCam FAILS To stress this point. They make no effort to clarify this problem to users of their software, by informing people that any files that are created with DesignEdge MUST Be exported in DXF Format if the person ever intends to use those personally created art files in another software program.

It seems that your company takes the same position, and this is not the first time I have heard of people who regret not exporting their legally created EDU files in DXF format.

If I owned a company like Plasmacam, or like your own company, it would seem logical to me that anytime you save a file, it would save the file automatically in two formats; your EDU format for your software, and a DXF version as a back up and for future use in other software programs. I would not assume that my company automatically owns and controls any drawing created with my software. Of course I would prefer people to use my software, however I would provide some way for them to take those files that they have created and save them in a universal format such as DXF as well.

I know nothing about your software but I’m sure it is a very capable program. I have also never used your machines but I shall assume that they are perfectly adequate for their intended purpose.

It always puzzles me why a company such as yours, or Plasmacam for example, do not offer a separate utility that is accessible to the public, which would not allow them to do any designing or creating of anything using your software, but WOULD Allow that person to simply open a folder of EDU Files, or PCM files in the case of Plasmacam, and convert those files into DXF format in the same way there are utilities that can convert Photoshop PSD files into JPG images, For example.

Perhaps you might get with your software developers to discuss this issue. It would certainly be a value to you from a customer relations standpoint, because customers who did use and enjoy your software are not left with a bitter taste in their mouth via a collection of files that are completely useless to them now.

Perhaps even a simple web application could be made available so people could upload their EDU files to you, and you could return to them a simple two dimensional DXF file that could then be use on other machines and with other software. I have suggested this to Plasmacam but you may be well aware of how difficult it is to deal with that company.

I do online instruction via zoom to teach people how to use Plasmacam’s DesignEDGE Software, and I also make personal visits to peoples homes and businesses all around the country to do one on one training on how to use the software effectively. I have well over 300 YouTube videos online that are admittedly amateur productions, but they do show people how to do various things using the drawing tools in DesignEDGE.

People who are in the situation where they have a Plasmacam PCM file that they can no longer use are always welcome to send that file to me. I am retired and financially comfortable, so the simple act of converting their PCM file into DXF format for them is something I enjoy doing. It takes only a moment to do this, and I enjoy making people happy and helping them whenever I can. Of course with this in mind, if someone were to send me a folder with 300 PCM files in it, I might be hesitant to donate that much of my time for free, to convert all of them into DXF format.

If I had a master version of your software, I would likewise do free conversions for people to transfer their EDU files into DXF format and return the files to them for their use.

It is perfectly understandable to not want people to use your software illegally. However it is a little shortsighted to offer those who previously and legally used your software to create personal art files, to now tell them they are SOL because they no longer have access to the master program.

I think it would go a long way to raise your company above those of Plasmacam and similar companies, to offer SOME WAY, either by a FREE and short utility file that is downloadable, or via a web conversion service, as a way of saying to your customers, “THANK YOU for using our software. As a courtesy to those who no longer have access to the master files, we provide this option for converting your existing EDU files into DXF format.“

In the CNC plasma community, Plasmacam has a HORRIBLE and WELL DESERVED reputation for being stubborn as a mule, and unwilling to make any effort to solve simple problems like this. I hope that your company has greater vision and will soon release something that will solve the EDU to DXF conversion problem that now exists for so many people who no longer have access to your master program.

Lead by example, and understand that taking the position of refusing to help people convert EDU files into DXF format at a time when they no longer have access to your master program makes your company Look like the disgruntled child in the corner of the sandbox who is throwing mud balls at the other children who will no longer play with him.

I hope you will take the point of this missive seriously. You must think about people who once had access to your master software, but currently do not have access and still need the files that were created with that software. Times change, and a gesture of goodwill such as described in this missive would go along way toward convincing them to once again spend the money to buy your master software for the future use. Certainly however, no one is going to spend the money to buy a master dongle just to convert a dozen or perhaps 100 files from EDU format to DXF .

I wish your company continued success in 2022, and in the years that follow.

Joseph Jones
Franklin, KY., USA
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:19 am
adbuch wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:23 pm As the OP said, he will need the Master version of Torchmate CAD in order to export his files.
10-4 David, I mush have glanced over that part. Now I am curious to open one of these edu files in a text editor and see what its all about.
My guess is that it might be like looking at a dxf file without an actual dxf editor - just lots of letters and numbers.
David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Joe, if they were to offer a free conversion utility, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of providing a crippled student version for free. If a free conversion utility was available then one could simply use the free student version to create a project and then convert the edu file to dxf to cut it out. In essence the student version wouldn't be crippled anymore.
Unfortunately, I think this is one of those cases where the OP failed to plan ahead and save his artwork in a portable format before he no longer had access to the master program.
PlasmaCam's is a little different situation in that there is no free version of their program that I am aware of. The proprietary file format has no real benefit to them, and allowing people to convert pcm to dxf would not harm them in any way.
I'm sure some crafty programmer could probably decode either format given enough time. I doubt they're encrypted.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:18 pm Joe, if they were to offer a free conversion utility, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of providing a crippled student version for free. If a free conversion utility was available then one could simply use the free student version to create a project and then convert the edu file to dxf to cut it out. In essence the student version wouldn't be crippled anymore.
Ah, I do see your point. Yes, they would have to change SOMETHING about the student version. This could be done by making it impossible for a file CREATED using the student version from being converted to DXF. There would be no need for THAT capability, since the student is supposedly learning how to use the TorchMate software and still HAS access to the Master program for conversion. The free conversion utility would be limited to converting only those files that were originally created using the MASTER program.

Maybe I am wrong, but I believe the OP created his files using the MASTER program, and only failed to save them as DXF files, believing he would never lose access to that privilege. If he used the STUDENT version to create those files, then I can see where a conversion utility might defeat their protection.

We are only talking about drawing a vector image anyway. Google SketchUp can export their SKP files in DXF format. Lots of other programs can create vector files. Is isn't as if TorchMate was the ONLY option for creating files in DXF vector format. VECTOR Q allows you to save a JPG image of whatever you drew with the iPad pen, and then import it into another program to trace the shape. it is not perfect, and it often requires a lot of cleanup, but it gives users SOME option for conversion to a vector format.

WHAT IF they had a VIEWER, that would allow the student version of files to be displayed on a screen ONLY as low resolution JPG images, perhaps in a 30% gradient version that is worthless for tracing using Inkscape or such, to "remind" the student of the design that he or she created? I suppose the 2D image JPG could be imported into another program and manually traced, but it would NOT create a cuttable DXF file directly.

Another possibility would be to allow a student version of a file to be saved in DXF format ONLY as single NODES, and a fuzzy light grayscale hint of the actual design on the screen, which would require the student to "Connect The Dots" again to create a DXF version of that file in another software program. The arcs and such could be defined by the NODES, but it would require the physical labor of actually redrawing the entire image again, with the only benefit being that all of the NODES would be saved. The person would still need to manually join lines, and create closed paths, etc.

I think there should be SOME means of doing this conversion from EDU to DXF after the person has lost access to the MASTER version of Torchmate software. ADOBE offers Photoshop Elements as a stripped down version of their full blown Photoshop program. It only allows certain functions, and the files are at the very least printable and viewable on screen.

As a last resort, when the Torchmate MASTER or STUDENT user designs something and clicks SAVE, it wouldn't hurt for a pop-up window to remind that person that the file saved in EDU format must ALSO be saved in DXF format if it is EVER intended be used outside of the Torchmate software platform.

As I stated in the missive to Torchmate, I do not understand why the SAVE function does not AUTOMATICALLY save the file in two versions, EDU and DXF. My CANON 5D-MKIII camera has the ability to save every photo BOTH as a RAW image and as a JPG image of lesser size and quality. The JPG images are good for on screen use, making memes, printing 4x6" glossy photos at WalMart, etc., but the RAW image carries with it the full editing powers of Photoshop.

I just think the "You're F%@KED!" approach is a bit narrow minded and harsh.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:18 pm
Unfortunately, I think this is one of those cases where the OP failed to plan ahead and save his artwork in a portable format before he no longer had access to the master program.
I very much agree. This is pretty much the same thing as the pcm to dxf situation. There are some who no longer have their Plasmacam table or the software, but who still have their pcm files and wish to convert them to dxf. I get requests for this conversion all the time.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:18 pm
PlasmaCam's is a little different situation in that there is no free version of their program that I am aware of. The proprietary file format has no real benefit to them, and allowing people to convert pcm to dxf would not harm them in any way.
I'm sure some crafty programmer could probably decode either format given enough time. I doubt they're encrypted.
I disagree on this one. Much like the torchmate files, pcm files require the Plasmacam software to open them to convert to dxf. I think that Plasmacam does indeed believe that their proprietary file format is of benefit to them.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Frankly, I don't understand what all of the fuss is about. I easily converted these two EDU files to DXF files in a matter of a couple of minutes each. Yes, I suppose a bit of cleanup is needed. Still, what is so special about the EDU files? :roll:

Joe
NAVASOTO JPG.jpg
NAVASOTO DXF.dxf
(30.37 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
COWBOY CROSS JPG.jpg
COWBOY CROSS DXF.dxf
(17.57 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Last edited by Joe Jones on Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

CoachPayne wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:48 pm I found that out after I no longer have access to the Master version. I have a file that I need to cut that took me several hours to create and went to convert it so my new table would accept the file but I can not convert it to DXF.
Send me the file. I will convert it for you. :Yay

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:29 am
I disagree on this one. Much like the torchmate files, pcm files require the Plasmacam software to open them to convert to dxf. I think that Plasmacam does indeed believe that their proprietary file format is of benefit to them.
David
I think they believe they own our souls.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

CoachPayne wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:48 pm Good afternoon Guys and Girls,

I'm a High School Welding Teacher. [..] I have a file that I need to cut that took me several hours to create and went to convert it so my new table would accept the file but I can not convert it to DXF. [..]
Hmmm... I have demonstrated that I can convert these files. I have offered to convert his file for free. Now I get no response either here, or via email.

What am I to conclude from this? :roll:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

So they sent me a Customer Satisfaction Survey :HaHa

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

robertspark

Post by robertspark »

that is why i use linux + freeware extensively now..... no fusion 360 etc etc.
librecad
freecad
inkscape
gimp
linuxcnc
..... no dick turpin style handover the cash or you don't get yo update your software (blue and yellow boat anchors included).

There are just too many good and free software options available that are well developed to tie ones self to something daft like a hardware of software lock.....

openoffice / libre office etc.
handing over cash for something intangible is just daft for me, YMMV

then again if you'd like a digital artwork making, I'm sure I could rustle up something for you for a cool $50 million plus (timewasters need not apply):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

What is the name of your free software that will run the Torchmate CNC tables or the PlasmaCam tables?

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Again, what software RUNS the Torchmate table or the PlasmaCam table?

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

robertspark

Post by robertspark »

linuxcnc will run it.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:39 pm linuxcnc will run it.
Please be more specific. Are you saying you can run DesignEdge software on Linux operating system, and by running LinuxCNC, you can operate a PlasmaCam table, using the PlasmaCam controller box with the original PlasmaCam servo X and Y motors and the stepper Z motor, to DESIGN, OPEN and CUT .pcm files?

This would be news to me!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

kchoghead
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kchoghead »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:12 pm
CoachPayne wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:48 pm Good afternoon Guys and Girls,

I'm a High School Welding Teacher. [..] I have a file that I need to cut that took me several hours to create and went to convert it so my new table would accept the file but I can not convert it to DXF. [..]
Hmmm... I have demonstrated that I can convert these files. I have offered to convert his file for free. Now I get no response either here, or via email.

What am I to conclude from this? :roll:

Joe
can u convert a edu file to dfx for me?

Return to “Torchmate Software”