help with welding options

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
jmartinez
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

help with welding options

Post by jmartinez »

I am looking to edit this file but as you can see the BG in this picture will fall out if I don't weld tabs to keep it in there. I cannot figure out how to do this. Each welding mode I selected something other than what I want happens, can anyone help? I am running the Lincoln torchmate cad program.
Thanks
Attachments
BG.jpg
BG.jpg (68.93 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: help with welding options

Post by WyoGreen »

I studied your picture. I don't know anything about your Torchmate program, but I do see something, I think. I'm going to assume that the square you have drawn on the left side of the "B" is the tab you are talking about. If you were to cut this now, the outside outline would be solid, the "B" would be cut out, and the inside of the "B" would be solid, but fall out. So I think your tab is in the wrong spot. It should be connecting the inside of the "B" to the outside outline, if that makes any sense. As to how your program does that, I don't know.

Sorry to be of so little help, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I don't know anything about the software you are using, but I would consider making it as a layered part.

Option 1 would be to cut out a backer and attach the BG and other parts to the top of the backer. Layered approach.
bg 1.jpg
bg 1.jpg (43.67 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
bg 2.jpg
Here would be another option for a layered part.
bg 3.jpg
Or you could try to cut is as a single part. I don't think this will look very good - no matter how you do it.
Perhaps someone else will have a better suggestion, but I would most definitely go with a layered piece. Then you can paint it contrasting colors to make it really pop.
David
bg 4.jpg
bg 4.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I did a quick manual trace from your photo. Not that accurate, but you get the idea. Here is the dxf in case you want to play around with it.
David
BG from manual trace.dxf image.jpg
BG from manual trace.dxf
(166.89 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
jmartinez
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jmartinez »

WyoGreen wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:28 pm I studied your picture. I don't know anything about your Torchmate program, but I do see something, I think. I'm going to assume that the square you have drawn on the left side of the "B" is the tab you are talking about. If you were to cut this now, the outside outline would be solid, the "B" would be cut out, and the inside of the "B" would be solid, but fall out. So I think your tab is in the wrong spot. It should be connecting the inside of the "B" to the outside outline, if that makes any sense. As to how your program does that, I don't know.

Sorry to be of so little help, Steve

Exactly, thank you
jmartinez
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jmartinez »

adbuch wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 am I don't know anything about the software you are using, but I would consider making it as a layered part.

Option 1 would be to cut out a backer and attach the BG and other parts to the top of the backer. Layered approach.
bg 1.jpg

bg 2.jpg

Here would be another option for a layered part.

bg 3.jpg

Or you could try to cut is as a single part. I don't think this will look very good - no matter how you do it.
Perhaps someone else will have a better suggestion, but I would most definitely go with a layered piece. Then you can paint it contrasting colors to make it really pop.
David

bg 4.jpg
Thank you. Definitely a great option
jmartinez
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jmartinez »

adbuch wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:50 am I did a quick manual trace from your photo. Not that accurate, but you get the idea. Here is the dxf in case you want to play around with it.
David
BG from manual trace.dxf image.jpg
BG from manual trace.dxf
I will try this now. Thanks
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Be sure to show the finished product when you get it cut and painted.
David
levinc3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by levinc3 »

i suppose this an old post, but your background and your letter are on the same plane. You have to create a second outer ring border with the back ground shape. So say like 1/2" identical ring border(shaped as your photo item) then make sure your border center areas are empty, then put you letter arrangement back in, then join to outer ring border. You can use the big border, then weld out the slightly smaller border to make the empty spaces.

Hope this helps, Lev
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

levinc3 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:16 pm i suppose this an old post, but your background and your letter are on the same plane. You have to create a second outer ring border with the back ground shape. So say like 1/2" identical ring border(shaped as your photo item) then make sure your border center areas are empty, then put you letter arrangement back in, then join to outer ring border. You can use the big border, then weld out the slightly smaller border to make the empty spaces.

Hope this helps, Lev
I believe you are suggesting using a layered approach with multiple pieces cut separately and then fastened together after painting - as I had previously suggested. You can take a look at the screen shots I provided above to get the idea.
David
AJNess822
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by AJNess822 »

Welding with TMcad can be difficult, but I've found you need to play with different items, such as some need the everything as a connected path and some just need the two items you want to weld together as a connected path and then you connect the entire path after welding. You will also want to play with what weld option you you want to use and if it's working correctly for your current application. Ctrl+Z is your best friend when figuring out the welding tool in TMCAD.
Bodor 12KW Laser Tabe (8'X20')
Lincoln Accumove 3
Hypertherm Powermax 1650
7'x20' Table (plasma and torch)
Mobile Welding (Miller Big 40)
Magnetic Particle and Liquid Dye Testing (Level II)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

AJNess822 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:35 am Welding with TMcad can be difficult, but I've found you need to play with different items, such as some need the everything as a connected path and some just need the two items you want to weld together as a connected path and then you connect the entire path after welding. You will also want to play with what weld option you you want to use and if it's working correctly for your current application. Ctrl+Z is your best friend when figuring out the welding tool in TMCAD.
Thanks for those tips! I expect they may be very useful to fellow members using TMCad. If you have some screen shots to post, that would be even better.
David

Return to “Torchmate Software”