Alternative Software

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
humanzee99

Alternative Software

Post by humanzee99 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:09 am

What software is the best for creating drawings (dxf) and then importing them into CadLite without problems? I've had experience with a lot of programs and 3 plasma tables. I've been using a Torchmate table at the shop for the past few months. Its the most inefficient and cumbersome software and table I've used so far.

There are lots of free or upgraded $200 annual subscription programs out there. I'd like to know what's popular to use over CadLite.

plasmanewbie
Elite Contributing Member

Re: Alternative Software

Post by plasmanewbie » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:36 am

Are you doing mainly mechanical designs or artistic designs?

adbuch

Re: Alternative Software

Post by adbuch » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:08 pm

humanzee99 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:09 am
What software is the best for creating drawings (dxf) and then importing them into CadLite without problems? I've had experience with a lot of programs and 3 plasma tables. I've been using a Torchmate table at the shop for the past few months. Its the most inefficient and cumbersome software and table I've used so far.

There are lots of free or upgraded $200 annual subscription programs out there. I'd like to know what's popular to use over CadLite.
Which dxf versions will cadlite import? AutoCAD DXF R14, AutoCAD DXF R12, or? Most current software (assuming cadlite is current) should be able to import in R14 format. Are you looking for free, low cost, or high-end drawing software?

Free: Inkscape, Fusion 360, QCad

Low cost: LightBurn

Medium Cost: BricsCAD, VCarve Pro

High Cost: Design Edge

I personally use Inkscape, Fusion 360, LightBurn, BricsCAD, VCarve Pro, and Design Edge. Any of these programs will export in AutoCAD DXF R14 format. For cnc plasma cutting, I mainly use Inkscape and Design Edge.

What sorts of files are you interested in cutting? Artwork, or mechanical in nature, or a bit of both?

There are some excellent online tutorials on most all of these programs. I personally wouldn't even consider a program with an annual subscription fee, unless it was really cheap for something really great. If you find something like that, please let me know.

David

Return to “Torchmate Software”

Industry Pros use FastCut CNC