Creating Tool-path from DXF

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
humanzee99
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Creating Tool-path from DXF

Post by humanzee99 »

I'm using NanoCad for my final design edits. I have tried saving them as R13 and R18 but this doesn't seem to make a difference besides the size of the file. I import the file as a polygon. Then I combine paths, then make paths, then create tool-path. At this point everything goes sideways and there are many lead-ins from both sides of the letters (I'm making a sign). I've tried different "combine path" tolerances, just not the import tolerance like I found tonight of .1, the largest I went was .005

Is there a dxf format that TM likes? Is there a final step I can take in NanoCad to make sure TM likes my dxf files?

I watched and was successful at the nameplate tutorial on TM's website. I've followed the same steps and disaster.

I haven't found TM's software to be user friendly at all. Anyone else? Advice?

I have attached my file for anyone to help

Thanks
BF top layer.dxf
(921.84 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Creating Tool-path from DXF

Post by plasmanewbie »

I am not familiar with TM software or NanoCad however after reading your post and viewing your dxf file one thing came to mind.

You mention many lead ins from both sides and when I open your file it looks like what should be 1 object is actual a series of separate lines. Likely TM Is seeing all these separate lines as separate cut paths and adding a lead in to each one.

See image below where I tried to select the entire outside of the sign but it only selected 1 one the lines making up the outside of the sign. I believe all the separate lines need to be joined prior to sending to TM software.
Pizza.PNG
Pizza.PNG (11.56 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
My CorelDraw software joins broken lines very quickly and easily so I have done so and attached a new dxf that you can try to see if this solves the lead in issue.

PizzeriaSignTest.dxf
(357.77 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Try the dxf above and see how that works for you and maybe we figured something out.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

What font is that?

Joe
humanzee99
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by humanzee99 »