Text Welding

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
ampuck2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Text Welding

Post by ampuck2 »

First time post here.
I am trying to add text to a home decor sign that I purchased from Etsy. I'm using the DXF version of the file and select connect path after I import the sign image. I am trying to put a last name in the center of the graphic but I've tried welding both with just regular text and then after I turn the text into a graphic. IT WILL NOT MERGE WITH THE DXF! I made sure that the font was overlapping on the top and bottom portions of the letters. I am very new to Torchmate CAD but am about to pull my hair out trying to get this to work. I added the picture of what the sign looks like and an example of a finished sign for reference. ANY help is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 5.08.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 5.08.20 PM.png (26.09 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 5.07.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 5.07.12 PM.png (108.24 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Text Welding

Post by djreiswig »

Not familiar with Torchmate cad, but in my cad program you have to explode the text into arcs & lines or polylines to be able to join it to other entities. Graphics or text are on a different layer.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
jmersereau
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jmersereau »

Here is the info I think you need...

Jim
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
LightBurn, SheetCAM, FireControl
YESWELDER Digital MIG-205DS MIG
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by AREA »

Helpful video Jim, thank you for digging that up!
ampuck2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ampuck2 »

That was the first tutorial that I watch. But when I try to weld the text to my DXF file it still leaves the overlapping portion of the letters with a red outline.
ampuck2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ampuck2 »

I took a small video but I can't attach the file type to the thread. I did attach a picture of what's happening. The steps I took to get this were:
1- Import File
2- Select al pieces of DFX and Xor weld.
3- Select all and connect path
4- Add text and resize it. Center it with the graphic.
5- Basic weld
This is my result after the basic weld.
Attachments
IMG_9953.jpg
IMG_9952.jpg
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I am not familiar with the software you are using, but in my Design Edge software I would scale your letters slightly smaller and then trim as shown below. In the photos I am editing a vector file (dxf). When finished you can re-link to create closed paths. You are welcome to post your dxf file and I (or one of the others here) will trim the letters for you. I know you are trying to learn your software, but if you are in a bind to get the job out we will be happy to help you out.
David
Step 1.jpg
Step 2.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is something very similar to the file you are working on. Perhaps you can use it if you get in a bind.
David
Hensley dxf image.jpg
Hensley dxf image.jpg (61.57 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
Hensley dxf from DE.dxf
(167 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

i took your png and opened it in inkscape, saved as dfx and opened that in sheetcam and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it
Should cut fine except its only 4.6 inches in diameter. Scale it up and you should be ok.
adams.dxf
(100.12 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Blackslacks wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:11 pm i took your png and opened it in inkscape, saved as dfx and opened that in sheetcam and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it
Should cut fine except its only 4.6 inches in diameter. Scale it up and you should be ok.
adams.dxf
The "ADAMS" monogram shown in his photo above is a screen shot of something he found on the internet. He is attempting to make something similar - but with a large "H" and the name "HENSLEY" in the center. If you read the entire post you will understand what he is trying to do.

This is what he is trying to achieve (see my dxf below).
David
Hensley dxf from DE.dxf
(167 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Hensley dxf image.jpg
Hensley dxf image.jpg (61.37 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
jpierce007
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jpierce007 »

I was having the same issue too. Make sure that the items you are trying to weld together are the same fill color. Make sure to have a little overlap, select them, then weld them. That worked for me.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Welcome to the forum jpierce007! At the time of the original post, I did not have the TMCad software. I purchased TMCad 9 several months ago to try it out as I was impressed with some of the graphics edit tools when using the educational version. Although the manual does not say this explicitly, apparently objects need to be assigned to the same layer (fill color) in order to achieve the expected results when doing Boolean operations - Weld (Union) being one of them. I was not aware of this fact until you just pointed it out - thanks for that!

Here is an example using the original artwork from the OP and showing the difference between having the 2 objects on the same color layer or on different color layers when doing the Weld (union) operation.

David
TMCad 1.jpg
TMCad 2.jpg
TMCad 3.jpg
TMCad 4.jpg
TMCad layer color.jpg

Return to “Torchmate Software”