Conversion to DFX file

General software related questions should be posted here.
thames49
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Conversion to DFX file

Post by thames49 »

Can you suggest what software is needed to convert an image file to DFX? Presently I open the file in paint and convert it to a 256 bit file and many of the files are badly distorted when I import them into the Plasmacam program. It takes a great deal of time to clean-up the files for use. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Conversion to DFX file

Post by plain ol Bill »

I heartily reccomend CorelDraw. It is a great drawing program for plasma type files and will save or export in almost any type file.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
thames49
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by thames49 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to download the program from the web today and have a 15 day trail. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's great T49. Let us know how it works for you. I know some guys have had some issues with the exported dxf files from some of the newer versions of Corel Draw not reading properly on thier plasma tables. It's nice they offer a trial.

Admin
Ironman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ironman »

If you want a free and very capable program for this, I use Inkscape. I am a Linux user, but like Open Office, it is cross platform and free.
Download at http://inkscape.en.softonic.com/

To change a picture to DXF first open the picture you want.
Then click on it to select..(arrows on corners)
Go to Path/Trace Bitmap and click update. You will see a vector thumbnail
Adjust brightness cutoff til you have more or less of the detail that you desire.
Click OK, it will superimpose onto the existing picture for you to inspect, then Save as...filename.dxf
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Another big fat "lots-O-love" recommendation for Corel here. Go ahead and buy the full version. I have version 11. Trust me. It's awesome, easy, and so many people are using it on CNC's that it's easy to get quick tech answers on how to's.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Ironman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ironman »

thames49 wrote:Can you suggest what software is needed to convert an image file to DFX? Presently I open the file in paint and convert it to a 256 bit file and many of the files are badly distorted when I import them into the Plasmacam program. It takes a great deal of time to clean-up the files for use. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
My first suggestion would be to convert to black and white in paint, then do the vector work in pcam or other software.
Plasmacam does a so-so job of converting, and if you have nothing else it will work, but being unalble to adjust values befor vectoring, means more cleanup.
Every conversion to vector on any software requires some clean-up and redraw to be up to my standards.
I am presently experimenting with a Wacom digitizer pad as a tracing source, as the re-drawing on complex stuff would take longer than hand trace.
enfofan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by enfofan »

search the archives for posts that I have made, memeber name ENFOFAN;
I used v9 previously, and then jumpedto v12.

essentially make sure that you master layers in Corel Draw, that is every object/ cut path gets it's own layer. each interior object / layer is placed in the order of cut priority, with the last (exterior) object/layer/ cutpath being the highest or largest numbered layer of all the layers.

cheers,
enfofan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by enfofan »

in the yahoo groups for cnc plasma cutting, I posted a very detailed description for using Corel Draw for creating a dxf for importing-- try a search in that groups section under my moniker 'enfofan'; regarding your question however, no there is not a resource for using Corel specifically for plasma cutting, or any other application that uses dxf and the layers;

I am self taught using Corel , started with V9 and currently use V12. I find that I can created just about any design within an hour. I will take an image that I scan from a photograph, a magazine ( especially the hot rod magazines), some books and even a newspaper clipping, and using Photo Paint, I remove most elements with the eraser and with V12 the image tool. I will play with the different details to try to capture the look that will still make the image recognizable. I then convert to LINE ART. Using Trace, I convert to dxf, viewing in wireframe- I will make the adjustments to minimize the nodes, and save to file. Reopen the new file (the dxf ) in Draw. You will need to select all objects and then ungroup. Create a new layer for each object and then move one object to one layer. It is very important to have the order of each layer set for the cutting order-- that is, cut inside objects first then the outside objects. When you export the design as a dxf your compiler will interpret the order of each layer and set teh g-code accordingly.
Manipulating the nodes will halp to create 'smooth' cuts. It is with the node editor that you can break the curve, create cut ins in the waste to make real clean cuts, and join other elements together.
Even when I was getting started in 2001, I found Corel very intuitive getting started. One other quick point: when using the rectangle, elipse, and text tool you must go back and select those items and convert to curves!!! To proof your design do a print preview- if an element seems to be missing-- more than likely it has not been converted to curves. This may be overwhelming but with a bit practice you will get the hang of it.
cheers,
enfofan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by enfofan »

09-23-2004, 11:52 AM
I am using Corel Graphics Suite V9.0

I will scan an image, photogrph or magazine whatever- I will
manipulate with Photo Paint, convert to black & white LINE ART; save
as bit map image;
this image will look like basic images or silhouettes if you will;
open in Trace and convert to vector ;
save as .dxf

Open Draw
open dxf file;
select all
ungroup all
use Object Manager
create a layer for each and every object in the image

at this point you can select the cut order by selecting the objects
in the order that you want cut

click and drag the object to a layer in the Object Manager

at this point I like to de select the view option- that is click on
the 'eye' and the image will not be visible

this helps me keep up with the order of things and not to mistakenly
place the object into another layer

repeat the process until all objects have been assigned a layer-
make sure that only one object per layer

the final object- the exterior object of a design would be the last
layer or highest number layer; this is the last cut path

I then will go back to the first layer and click on the 'eye' so
that each object is visible again

I can then see the cut sequence of the piece that I am working on

continue until you can see the image.

Now a potential problem will be that you have jagged lines in these
objects instead of smooth lines-

A manual fix is required (as far as I know the automatic
process to clean up the 'nodes' will eliminate too many nodes)

in Corel the lines are made of of a series of nodes(dots)

one way to clean up these lines is to use the Shape Tool(F10)

use the mouse to select the object that needs work-

oh BTW you will need to ZOOM in on the object a bit to actually see
these squigly lines

once you have selected the Shape TOol - left click on the object and
drag across part of the line that needs smoothing-
this will highlight the nodes
select the delete button

repeat as needed-
if the shape goes beserck Ctrl Z should get you back to try over
again with less agressive node reduction

repeat on every object as needed-

If your CNC software will not insert Lead-Ins and Lead-Outs, you can do this manually with the shape tool; the point in which you would like the LI highlight a node with the Shape Tool- then move the cursor to the work bar in the left corner and select the line break button; move cursor back to that node and left click and hold and drag the lines until they have criss-crossed, and close up the gap by dragging other nodes closer together or add additional nodes ( I have not experimented with placing LI/LO in different places within the object)

you might find your self unable to edit some of the inner objects (as in the case when you have saved your work and are now doing more editing)
if that is the case
go to the Object Manager
go to the highest number layer
click on the 'eye'
so that the layer is not visible
now try editing that inner object

once you are finished- ctrl E (Export the file as a .dxf

I really like to Export rather than save- I have no idea why;
actually I think that it prevents me from inadvertanly saving in the
Corel native file format .cdr or .cblah blah

and then import that .dxf into the CNC table software and set your
scale and other parameters as needed.