Old Equipment

General software related questions should be posted here.
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Old Equipment

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

Is there a market to sell these? I see them still online for sale, but that doesn't always add up to being able to sell them...
PXL_20220430_174518560.jpg
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Old Equipment

Post by adbuch »

Are they currently operational? Which motors are you running?
David
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

They are both in working condition. I used them for only a few cuts until I gutted the machine. I altogether remove all old equipment and went with a new modern controller, www.buildbotics.com

I currently only have XX & Y like the old setup but adding another open-source solution for THC soon.
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

Here is my before and after picture. The motors were on the far right, I accidentally cut them out of the image.
20220524_161232-COLLAGE.jpg
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

SmokyMtnRed wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:26 am They are both in working condition. I used them for only a few cuts until I gutted the machine. I altogether remove all old equipment and went with a new modern controller, www.buildbotics.com

I currently only have XX & Y like the old setup but adding another open-source solution for THC soon.
I wish I understood that stuff, but it is all Greek to me. :Sad

Joe

Last edited by Joe Jones on Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

Joe I know how you feel ! I've built one table with candcnc/precision plasma and rebuilt another easy cut with candcnc and I hardly understand what really makes any of it work.Its a real handicap.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

OTHill wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:39 pm Joe I know how you feel ! I've built one table with candcnc/precision plasma and rebuilt another easy cut with candcnc and I hardly understand what really makes any of it work.Its a real handicap.
For me, it is a matter of CLEAN work. Yes, it is certainly possible, with the knowledge, to Frankenstein a bunch of circuit boards, and cables, and connectors, and solenoids, and springs, and gears together to make something work. It LOOKS like a rat's nest of jumbled wires, but it works. (pound chest dominantly, here) With the PlasmaCam, you connect a PC tower to a yellow controller box, and EVERYTHING WORKS!

This phenomenon was evident in the PC vs MAC days. The PC people managed to make computers, and they really got into selecting the precise motherboard, processor, memory chips, hard drives, SCSI cards, etc. etc. to make their computers work. The MAC people bought their computers, and went to work. The MAC crowd was not concerned with the internal workings of the computer. They just wanted the spreadsheet and the word processor to WORK.

The Harley people of days gone by liked to build their "custom" bikes out of a scrapyard full of parts, and SOMETIMES they would actually make something worth looking at, or to ride. You know the type ... the garage door is open to the alley, there is a large trash can overflowing with empty beer bottles, everything is dirty, and greasy, and 10 seconds cannot pass without one of the guys dropping an F-bomb ... everybody has tattoos, and beards, and headbands, and sleeveless T's with faded images of some skeletal figure riding a chopper ... there is usually an old dog, maybe an unbathed kid or two, and at least ONE of them will be wearing a sagging diaper, and at least one emaciated female will be around who looks like she does tricks in the Red District ... :lol:

I am more of a "Give me the keys to my new BMW Luxury Touring Motorcycle and let me HEAD OUT!" kind of guy.

When I was a TEENAGER, I had the ratty $250.00 Plymouth, and I poured a boat load of money into it, to make it faster, and meaner, and such. But ... I GREW UP. Now I will no longer bother with bending over a fender to wrench on some jalopy. I want to walk outside, hop into my beautiful 4WD F150, and GO!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:26 pm I want to walk outside, hop into my beautiful 4WD F150, and GO!
And when it won't go, will you have to take it to the dealership?
For me, the fun is in figuring out how to make things work, and then watching something being made by something I created.
Granted, I bought my table because I had no experience in the area of CNC. Now I would feel comfortable attacking a table build.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:01 pm
I paid for the privilege of NOT needing to crawl under the truck. I would drive it in, or have it towed in, and drive a loaner car until my truck was repaired. You have to pick your battles.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

To each his own.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:26 pm I want to walk outside, hop into my beautiful 4WD F150, and GO!
For me, the fun is in figuring out how to make things work, and then watching something being made by something I created.
Granted, I bought my table because I had no experience in the area of CNC. Now I would feel comfortable attacking a table build.
:Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I could go through the learning curve of Arduino, and Rasberry Pi, and stepper motors, and encoders, and servos, and all of that, but there are two reasons I do not:

1. I have an absolutely WORTHLESS memory, so anything I learn about them would be quickly lost unless I work with all of it absolutely every single day for the rest of my life. Not a day goes by, when I don't draw SOMETHING with DesignEdge, just so I will not forget how to use the software. It is more of a curse, than a skill. :Sad

2. I am 64, not 14. I don't want to spend my time reinventing the wheel unless there is some phenomenal benefit to the effort.

I just bought my first home laser, the X-Tool Pro D1. I COULD go through the arduous process of learing how to build it myself, and program it, etc. but I pulled out a credit card, and $2,000.00 and five days later, I will have a fully functional 18" x 36" 20 Watt blue diode laser machine in my shop.

Please don't get me wrong! I FULLY ADMIRE and RESPECT people who tackle these things from a transistor and soldering gun perspective. I just don't have the time, or the memory to take that route. When I convert my truck to run on propane, or whatever the next latest and greatest alternative fuel is, I will use ONE TOOL for the entire conversion ... my credit card. :Yay

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “General Discussion”