OnShape Cad program

General software related questions should be posted here.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

OnShape Cad program

Post by tinspark »

Been using a new CADD program (new to me anyway ) it is called OnShape. The CEO of OnShape is the same guy who also designed Solidworks. There is also a free version as well as student version. Also a few paid versions for businesses. It is cloud based and requires an internet connection. I enrolled in a free class through our local Sheet Metal Workers union apprenticeship and received a free 1 year license. The free version is the same but public. So anything that is drawn is shared with the OnShape community. I read that a good way to compare the two programs (Solidworks vs. OnShape) is like Microsoft suite which is downloaded on your computer vs. Googles Online suite. One is cloud based and the other is downloaded on your computer.
I attached a list of comparisons with SolidWorks. They are very similar in many ways. So far so good..
Here is a link that shows the similarities and differences.
https://www.boulderes.com/resource-libr ... vs-onshape
If you are up for the challenge of learning a new program, OnShape may be a good alternative and has a nice hobbyist free version to learn until you want more private files. Other than that there is absolutely NO difference between the paid version vs the free hobbyist version!
Also a link to the download page for the free version:
https://www.onshape.com/en/products/free
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: OnShape Cad program

Post by weldguy »

Looks like nice software. I have been working with Fusion 360 but the paid version which is costly for the amount I use it, this may be a good alternative. Thanks for the info.
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

weldguy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:17 am Looks like nice software. I have been working with Fusion 360 but the paid version which is costly for the amount I use it, this may be a good alternative. Thanks for the info.
I have been diggin’ it, but am still a newb!
But see its capabilities and am working toward proficiency.
I currently use DesignEdge, DesignSpark Mechanical and have used Sketchup. And started using Solidworks a bit, but it bogs down my pc, even after installing more RAM. A buddy from our union hall and our apprenticeship coordinator signed a bunch of us up for this free OnShape course through ROP.
The online tutorials for OnShape are pretty good too. Also, the guy who isteaching the live online zoom course that i am taking mentioned that really, anyone can get the free student version by using your local city college as the school when prompted (let your conscience be your guide) . Then anyone basically gets the private file storage feature. Non-private basically means that anyone in the OnShape community can access your file download and modify it, but not modify the original that has been saved to your username. Thats basically the only difference between Pro and the free hobbyists version. Most if my stuff that I draw in CAD are one offs, and would not really be useful to anyone after it has been burned and put unto operation. So I will likely just drop down to the free version when my student license expires after the initial year.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I just opened my student account. The program is fairly intuitive, but I see no way to export as dxf, create stl file of solid model, or any other means to generate a file that I could use for interfacing with my other cad/cam programs. It also does not appear to have a cam module for creating tool paths, etc. It says that there are apps for this, but when I looked for them is wants me to sign up for a 15 day free trial of their commercial version.

Perhaps I am missing something here. I am proficient with Fusion 360 and Solid Works ( have purchased a Solid Works license in 2016). So I am not sure how OnShape is an improvement over Fusion 360. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

In my example, I have created a solid model for a washer. Now I want to 3D print it, or export as dxf for import to Design Edge, VCarve Pro, etc. How do I do this?

Thanks,
David
onshape test part.jpg
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:20 am I just opened my student account. The program is fairly intuitive, but I see no way to export as dxf, create stl file of solid model, or any other means to generate a file that I could use for interfacing with my other cad/cam programs. It also does not appear to have a cam module for creating tool paths, etc. It says that there are apps for this, but when I looked for them is wants me to sign up for a 15 day free trial of their commercial version.

Perhaps I am missing something here. I am proficient with Fusion 360 and Solid Works ( have purchased a Solid Works license in 2016). So I am not sure how OnShape is an improvement over Fusion 360. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

In my example, I have created a solid model for a washer. Now I want to 3D print it, or export as dxf for import to Design Edge, VCarve Pro, etc. How do I do this?

Thanks,
David

onshape test part.jpg
Hi David,
hover the cursor over the part and right click then select the export as DXF/Dwg option.
I am still a newb, but it is getting easier. Planning on sticking with it

Edit: I looked for the comparisons between Fusion 360 and OnShape and found some random guys review. He actually likes Fusion 360 better for the reasons stated in the attached link. I have downloaded Fusion 360 in the past, but never spent much time learning it. But by his account he prefers Fusion, even over Solidworks. I can’t say there is any advantages to OnShape over Fusion 360 because, I really don’t personally know either program well enough, But am learning OnShape, and like it so far. Here is that dudes comments.

https://www.buildercentral.com/onshape-vs-fusion360/

https://www.buildercentral.com/onshape-vs-fusion360/
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - I have used SolidWorks extensively and by comparison I find Fusion 360 much easier to use. You can accomplish the same thing as far as creating a solid model (or dxf) with either program, but the Fusion 360 user interface is just so much easier to use - plus Fusion 360 can do the CAM portion as well as post process to create g-code. Fusion 360 is now my "go-to" as far as a parametric modeling program. I use the free educational version of Fusion 360. The also offer a free version for hobbyists.

I thought I would check out OnShape since it is free just to learn about it. It's always fun to learn some new things, and - who knows - maybe OnShape has some features or capabilities which Fusion 360 is lacking.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

OnShape menu.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - one thing that I notice right away is that OnShape loads much quicker than Fusion 360. That is a big plus!
I will check it out some more now that I see this menu. Don't know why I didn't try that before. I am one of those guys who likes to try to put things together without reading the instructions, and I have the same attitude - to an extent - towards software programs.
David
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

OnShape Practice learnin’
OnShape Practice learnin’
David, please post your findings. Since you already know Solidworks and Fusion 360, you would be able to assess Onshape better than most and give excellent feedback!
I have about maybe 8 hours into it and can already do a few tasks.. Here is an exercise that I did last night..
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - when I looked at this a little bit ago, I thought you had threaded holes. Now I see that these are just blind holes with c'sink. One thing I noticed right away is that the OnShape does not have a thread tool. Instead, it is a fairly complicated 3 step process where you first need to create a helix, and then actually draw the thread profile and then create a sweep.

OnShape no easy thread tool.jpg
OnShape no easy thread tool 1.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Much easier to do with Fusion 360.
Fusion 360 thread tool.jpg
Fusion 360 thread tool 1.jpg
Fusion 360 thread tool 2.jpg
Fusion 360 thread tool 3.jpg
Fusion 360 thread tool 4.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:21 pm 1183A1DB-249C-42FE-BF09-C2B349F33D40.jpegDavid, please post your findings. Since you already know Solidworks and Fusion 360, you would be able to assess Onshape better than most and give excellent feedback!
I have about maybe 8 hours into it and can already do a few tasks.. Here is an exercise that I did last night..
Doug - what is your end goal as far as using OnShape? I can see where you might export dxf files for import to Design Edge for cutting. If you have a 3D printer, then perhaps you are planning to create solid models for 3D printing?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - here is the simple part I created. I exported it as stl and you can see what looks like when imported for slicing before printing.
David
OnShape solid model.jpg
OnShape 3D print 1.jpg
OnShape 3D print.jpg
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

No 3D stuff yet. only have 2-d fab capabilities for the foreseeable future.
The conceptual renderings are pretty cool for steel frameworks with sheet metal wrapped around them etc.
Nice to be able to make a scaled 3-D rendering and then build it. Also, I love advanced designedge software for artwork, but it is a chore for 2-d parts.. basically finding other programs that I can use for my burn table. ive been using Designspark mechanical which is a little clunky and also cloud based for 2d dxf exports to my table computer. I chose this one (OnShape) on the basis of it being offered with free training
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - I think you are on the right track. Once you have mastered OnShape, these skills will quite easily transfer over to Fusion 360, Solid Works, or which ever parametric solid modeling program you choose to use. Lots of fun to be had here! I personally don't use Fusion 360 or Solid Works for creating dxf file to cut with my Plasmacam. I do most of it with Design Edge. But in the past I have been known to create mechanical parts using AutoCad or Bricscad, and then export as dxf to bring into Design Edge for cutting.

David
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:11 pm I personally don't use Fusion 360 or Solid Works for creating dxf file to cut with my Plasmacam. I do most of it with Design Edge. But in the past I have been known to create mechanical parts using AutoCad or Bricscad, and then export as dxf to bring into Design Edge for cutting.

David
I have been using a program called Designspark mechanical for my 2d stuff to be burned. It’s pretty simple program to learn.and exports as DXF (r-14 I believe) and is free, which is a plus too..I cut brackets and stuff mainly from 1/4” plate down to 12 gauge. And find DesignEdge a little too archaic for my parts. MAinly it is my skill level, and frustration with it especially when I screw up numbers. Designedge for drawing parts It is a lot like the old Cybermation program that we used back in the 80’s. X,y plotting etc…
But for artwork and editing, I really enjoy using DesignEdge, It is a lot of fun to use!! . Also, Inkscape is much easier for me on the initial trace, then off to DesignEdge to import as a DXF file. I am probably sticking with Designspark mechanical after trying OnShape for a few weeks now because of its simplicity. But am enjoying the learning process of 3-D modeling Pretty cool!!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - I have just downloaded and installed DesignSpark mechanical. It seems simple enough to use. I did a test drawing and exported in R14 format. It opens with Design Edge just fine. Only need to link to eliminate the unwanted intersections. I will follow up when I learn more.
David
DesignSpark trial run.jpg
4 intersections found.jpg
after joining.jpg
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:20 am Doug - I have just downloaded and installed DesignSpark mechanical. It seems simple enough to use. I did a test drawing and exported in R14 format. It opens with Design Edge just fine. Only need to link to eliminate the unwanted intersections. I will follow up when I learn more.
David

after joining.jpg
Designspark Mechanical got rid of their usable free version several months ago. There is actually a free version, but there is no way to export a drawing as a dxf of svg that I can tell, which I really liked. I switched over to the free version of fusion 360 , which I like better than the free version of onshape. Fusion serves my needs well enough, which is mainly for hobby purposes. And once my student onshape license expired, I stopped using it and transitioned back to the free version of fusion 360. Fusion 360 have limited their online version to 10 files, but I transfer everything into designedge if it is being used on the plasma table. So I simply save as a PCM and delete the file off of fusion or just keep drawing parts on the same fusion 360 canvas and pull out what I need to burn on my table..
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Ive been following Toby and his speed modeling, ive learned a bunch of tricks watching others sketch their parts.
Here are some cool videos Toby put out comparing and doing tutorials. I hope these help

https://www.youtube.com/@TooTallToby/se ... ry=onshape
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:20 am
adbuch wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:20 am Doug - I have just downloaded and installed DesignSpark mechanical. It seems simple enough to use. I did a test drawing and exported in R14 format. It opens with Design Edge just fine. Only need to link to eliminate the unwanted intersections. I will follow up when I learn more.
David

after joining.jpg
Designspark Mechanical got rid of their usable free version several months ago. There is actually a free version, but there is no way to export a drawing as a dxf of svg that I can tell, which I really liked. I switched over to the free version of fusion 360 , which I like better than the free version of onshape. Fusion serves my needs well enough, which is mainly for hobby purposes. And once my student onshape license expired, I stopped using it and transitioned back to the free version of fusion 360. Fusion 360 have limited their online version to 10 files, but I transfer everything into designedge if it is being used on the plasma table. So I simply save as a PCM and delete the file off of fusion or just keep drawing parts on the same fusion 360 canvas and pull out what I need to burn on my table..
Doug - I am using the free version of Fusion 360 and the limit is 10 editable (active) files, but you can have as many files as you want stored on the server in read-only format. You can change any of the read-only file to active status, but you can only have 10 of your files active (editable) at any one time. Since I am not usually wanting to have more than 10 files open at any time, this limitation has no impact on me personally. Also, you can save (export) any of your files (or all of them) to you pc in .f3d format.

David
read only.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”