Instructional Video Suggestion

General software related questions should be posted here.
topkote
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Instructional Video Suggestion

Post by topkote »

I've spent the majority of this afternoon watching videos on using Inkscape. I'd like to suggest to anyone making these. Please stick to the specific topic of instruction that you are putting the video out on about. So many of these got way off topic into all of the other things one can do with fonts, centering, scaling etc. Not everyone is as proficient as the person creating the video. We're trying to learn and are grateful for the instruction, but I got more confused by the sideline instructions. What I needed to know can be shown in much less that a 15-minute display of your abilities. Sorry for the rant but as I was once told keep it simple.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Instructional Video Suggestion

Post by adbuch »

topkote wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:16 pm I've spent the majority of this afternoon watching videos on using Inkscape. I'd like to suggest to anyone making these. Please stick to the specific topic of instruction that you are putting the video out on about. So many of these got way off topic into all of the other things one can do with fonts, centering, scaling etc. Not everyone is as proficient as the person creating the video. We're trying to learn and are grateful for the instruction, but I got more confused by the sideline instructions. What I needed to know can be shown in much less that a 15-minute display of your abilities. Sorry for the rant but as I was once told keep it simple.
Please tell us exactly what you need to know about using Inkscape and I will try to help you.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is something you may find useful.
David

https://inkscape-manuals.readthedocs.io ... wing.html#
Inkscape Beginner's Guide.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

topkote
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by topkote »

What I am trying to do is this.
I have a file that I bought that came in SVG. I want to insert text that I created onto and into the SVG template where the persons last name goes. The area is all black like the entire SVG is.
I create the text in a different color and position it on the SVG template, go through the functions of object to path, ungroup, union, then select both the text and the main template and hit difference. The text remains the same, it doesn’t get cut out and is still unattached to the main template.
This is in Inkscape. Thanks Mike
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Mike - Please post your SVG file so we can take a look to better understand what you are attempting to do.
Thanks,
David
topkote
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by topkote »

Here is the file. It comes all solid black. I have inserted the text "Herrmann" on the file saved it. The problem is getting it to attach with the nodes to be saved as a DXF.
Herrmann Camping.png
Herrmann Camping.png (131.84 KiB) Viewed 717 times
I think if you can give me a step by step ie

place text where you want it

go object to path

go ungroup

go path union ........... it think it the steps that is getting me confused because I have to remove the text at some point. (right)????
TJS
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by TJS »

Look up @acourtjester here. He is very good at showing what you want to do. In inkscape just save it as an .SVG, when you make your "plan" in sheetcam it will be fine. Also, not sure I am following you in regards to your text. Does the original have text there already. If so Acourtjester shows how to do this in one of his vids. He actually makes a box over the text you want to get rid of and makes it an object first then does a union I think(can't remember right now). Then he goes in and removes excess nodes. Also go to view then outline to see your cut out better.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Try this video.
He explains exactly what you're trying to do.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

One method to achieve your desired result is to take a screen shot of your image shown above and save as jpeg, import to Inkscape, Path/Trace Bitmap, and save as dxf. Here is the end result. I will take a look later when I have more time and try to explain to you the more conventional approach to achieve your goal.
David
Herrmann Camping.dxf image.jpg
Herrmann Camping.dxf
(462.67 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Path Trace Bitmap.jpg
Path Trace Bitmap 1.jpg
Path Trace Bitmap 2.jpg
Path Trace Bitmap 3.jpg
topkote
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by topkote »

Thanks everyone for the help.

Mike
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

topkote wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:01 pm Thanks everyone for the help.

Mike
Happy to try to help. Were you able to solve your problem using the techniques shown in the video, or using the screen shot method, or?
Let us see your final result.
David

Return to “General Discussion”