3D software questions

General software related questions should be posted here.
ShowbizAsh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

3D software questions

Post by ShowbizAsh »

I am wanting to learn either Fusion 360 or Solidworks. I have been watching some videos and trying Fusion and it is still feeling clunky for me. Should I persevere or should I go to Solidworks? . I see adds for Solidwork lessons that also give a discount on student version software. I have had years with Google sketchup so not a complete noob with 3D but I can see how these are much better.

I would like to know people’s views. Does anybody here have experience with both programs? I like that Fusion has a sheet metal tab, does Solidworks have similar?
Pros and cons for either programs?. The easiest one for me to get up and running would be great.

I should add that I would be using it to draw the complete design in 3D and take it apart to turn into 2D on fast cad etc.

Looking forward to your advice.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 3D software questions

Post by adbuch »

I have experience with both SolidWorks and Fusion 360. I purchased a seat of SolidWorks 2016 and have used it quite a bit for modeling parts and producing drawings. My feeling is that it is a nicer package for strictly modeling and creating drawings. One drawback for me is that it does not have an included CAM portion. I have since switched over to Fusion 360 and find that it has more capabilities, a much simpler and more intuitive user interface, and allows for creating tool paths and post processing for cnc plasma, cnc wood routing, cnc machining, etc. - although I really don't use it for those functions. I use Design Edge for cnc plasma, Aspire for cnc wood routing, and a combination of AutoCAD/Brickscad/MasterCAM for cnc machining.

These days I use Fusion 360 mainly for 3D modeling of prototype parts for 3D printing. It is great for that as well. DXF files are easily imported into Fusion 360, and that can be very handy as well. My personal recommendation is that you learn Fusion 360. The free version for hobbyists has most all of the features that you will probably need, or if you are a student the Educational license version (free) is also great.

Since you are on this forum, I assume you intend to use Fusion 360 for cnc plasma cutting related projects. Langmuir has some great tutorials that cover the basics. There are all pretty short individual tutorials - maybe several minutes each - that you could probably watch in a single session.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion
Langmuir F360 tutorials.jpg
For 3D parts modeling with Fusion 360, I would highly recommend a set of instructional tutorials by Arnold Rowtree. His basic set of tutorial lessons consists of 16 individual lessons, each with a different part. You can down load and print out the drawings he uses for these lessons, and this makes it much easier to follow along with each lesson.

Arnold produced these in 2018 using the Fusion 360 version that was current at that time. Since then Fusion 360 has changed a little bit (some of the buttons moved around, etc.) but it is basically the same program. I went thru these same tutorials about 2 years ago and had no problem whatsoever with the version being slightly different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GrPsNIArRQ
Learn Fusion 360 Part 1 of 16.jpg
Arnold has since started revising his lessons using the current Fusion 360 version, but he is only up to lesson 3. In any case, I would recommend going thru his tutorials -maybe do one or two (or three) every evening - and you will be well on your way.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSRKJgTSS4c
ShowbizAsh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ShowbizAsh »

Thankyou David. This is great info. Yes I will be using the program for plasma cutting. So not for 3D printing or milling work etc at this stage. I will be getting my table after Christmas and want to be well prepared for it. What I am building will be on the larger side for the arts community mostly Circus and fairgrounds and Music fests.

With your detailed reply it sounds like I should stick with Fusion 360. Glad to know that, I did like the student discount I mentioned with Solidworks though. Hopefully I can find a good deal with Fusion. I didn’t think about importing DFX files into Fusion, more the other way around. That sounds like a good way to get modeling quickly when I have something 2D already drawn up.

Thanks again, great info. I sure will check out all those vids and tutorials.

Ash
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ShowbizAsh wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:49 am Hopefully I can find a good deal with Fusion.
Ash - Fusion 360 is FREE for hobbyists and students. I don't think you will find a better deal than that.
David
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I 2nd sticking with Fusion, I have it for my cnc mill and love it!
SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SRdesign »

I agree, fusion seems difficult at first but I prefer it over anything else I’ve used even for just drawing 2D, and definitely prefer it for 3D modeling. For artsy stuff I prefer Inkscape, but for functional parts fusion is the way to go in my opinion
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SRdesign wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:33 pm I agree, fusion seems difficult at first but I prefer it over anything else I’ve used even for just drawing 2D, and definitely prefer it for 3D modeling. For artsy stuff I prefer Inkscape, but for functional parts fusion is the way to go in my opinion
I've been using AutoCAD Rel. 14 since the late 90's, so that is really my "go-to" program for 2D drawings. I now have Bricscad that is sort of like an improved version of AutoCAD, but I still like my old AutoCAD the best for 2D. In fact - even when I am making 3D solid models for parts I make on my cnc lathe or cnc mill - I draw the 2D in AutoCAD, then import to Mastercam 9 (also 20 year old software) and either revolve or extrude to create the solid model to use for creating tool paths. I have also used AutoCAD for architectural plans for buildings, plot plans, and many other non-mechanical things.

But when I do solid models with Fusion 360 for 3D printing - I draw the 2D in Fusion 360 and then extrude, revolve,etc. to create the model. And I will say that Fusion 360 is more fun to use than AutoCAD. For what you would consider "artsy stuff" I mainly use Design Edge, but also often incorporate Inkscape and/or LightBurn into the mix. These are all great programs and lots of fun to use.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:28 am I 2nd sticking with Fusion, I have it for my cnc mill and love it!
I am in the process of putting together a new "CNC mill" using a kit from Avid CNC, a water cooled 4 HP ATC spindle I purchased from a guy in Vietnam, and a Centroid Acorn controller. This one will be used for smaller aluminum parts, and I do plan on using Fusion 360 to create the solid models as well as the CAM portion with tool paths and g-code. The fact that the control program runs from a PC is a big plus for me because it provides a very large amount of memory to store the actual g-code for the part.

My Matsuura CNC machining center is over 30 years old, and does not have enough memory in the controller to store the g-code for larger more complex parts. If fact - I have had projects where I have had to break the g-code up into blocks that will fit into the controller memory and maybe have to load 6 or 7 sections of code (one at a time) to machine a part. So load the first block, machine, delete first block and load second block, machine, etc.

Here is a photo of my progress so far.
Avid cnc project.jpg
And here is a link to the photo slideshow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Lx75qFoGK2vQPVc7

I was making pretty good progress, but then I got side-tracked building an automatic tool changer. So now I need to get back on finishing the enclosure and finishing up some details. I plan to use a mist system for coolant, as opposed to the flood coolant my other machining centers use. There will be a metal cover over the table with edges (like a big pan) to keep the coolant from running out from the mister.

I only mention all of this because you mentioned you have a cnc mill you are using Fusion 360 with.

David
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

Nice build adbuch! I’ve been thinking about building one a similar size to what you’ve built, but just using the same design as my plasma table build and shrinking it down to a 3’x3’ size. I’m interested to know how that spindle and z axis handle the aluminum. That’s mostly what I would want to use mine for. On another note, I’ve been looking at light burn and thinking about purchasing it. I’ve just been using Inkscape because it’s free. But light burn seems like a pretty good program and it’s inexpensive.
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
ShowbizAsh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ShowbizAsh »

adbuch wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:39 am
ShowbizAsh wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:49 am Hopefully I can find a good deal with Fusion.
Ash - Fusion 360 is FREE for hobbyists and students. I don't think you will find a better deal than that.
David
Yes the version I have has a limit of files I can make. I live in Australia I don’t know it that makes a difference with what I can download. Again thanks for the great info, I wasn’t expecting that when I asked the question. I will have another look when I return home in a few days.

Ash
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SRdesign wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:54 am Nice build adbuch! I’ve been thinking about building one a similar size to what you’ve built, but just using the same design as my plasma table build and shrinking it down to a 3’x3’ size. I’m interested to know how that spindle and z axis handle the aluminum. That’s mostly what I would want to use mine for. On another note, I’ve been looking at light burn and thinking about purchasing it. I’ve just been using Inkscape because it’s free. But light burn seems like a pretty good program and it’s inexpensive.
Here are some demonstration videos showing the Avid Pro4848 table machining some aluminum. For these videos they are using a 3HP air cooled spindle, the same one that came with my Pro4848 table I use for wood routing. Based on these videos I would say that the spindle and z axis are up to the task for handling aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHSfDhyhWgU
Avid cnc cutting 1 inch aluminum part.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovzT-3AAWIU
Avid cnc cutting aluminum plates.jpg
For my Pro4824 table I am using a 4HP water cooled spindle purchased on Ebay from a seller in Viet Nam. Here is a demonstration video of the same spindle machining some aluminum.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/g9OHT5t1u4c?rel=0
3kw atc spindle machining aluminum.jpg
I went with the ATC spindle because it is much quicker to change bits (endmills, cutters, etc.) - just push a button and the tool holder pops out. Originally I was fine with just doing the tool changes manually, but decided to build an actual atc changer based on some similar ones I had seen on youtube. I have this all finished up, just need to program the tool change macro with the x,y,z coordinates for the positions of the tools on my table.

I really need to get back onto this project, but there have been a few distractions along the way that have diverted my attention.
David

And here is the Ebay seller listing for this spindle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Combo-ATC-Tool ... 2b15425094
Combo ATC spindle on Ebay.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SRdesign wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:54 am On another note, I’ve been looking at light burn and thinking about purchasing it. I’ve just been using Inkscape because it’s free. But light burn seems like a pretty good program and it’s inexpensive.
Robert Johnson put me onto LightBurn several years ago. It was very handy for doing certain types of offsets that Design Edge won't do. At the time, LightBurn had not yet added the feature to export as dxf. I was using the trial version and ask them to add this export feature, and they did. So now it is even better than before. I don't really use it for design work, but more for some of the special features and to auto-trace bitmap files for export as dxf. But for the price of $60 you really can't go wrong.

And there are a whole series of videos on learning how to use LightBurn which look to be pretty good.
David

https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/tutorials
LightBurn Tutorials.jpg
LightBurn Tutorials 1.jpg
LightBurn Tutorials 2.jpg
LightBurn Tutorials 3.jpg
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

Thank you for all the info and videos, David. Makes me want to get started on another build. I’m going to buy the light burn software and play around with it. Thanks again
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
ShowbizAsh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ShowbizAsh »

adbuch wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:39 am
David
Hi David

I hope you had a good xmass.
I am back again looking for a free version of Fusion 360 you mentioned but this is all I can find. This is in Australian dollars and they also have the US equivalent. Do you have a link? Or can anybody else help?

Regards Ash

https://www.autodesk.com.au/products/fu ... 0/overview
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Return to “General Discussion”