New to design DXF format to be used with Dynatorch plasma table

General software related questions should be posted here.
dan grote
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New to design DXF format to be used with Dynatorch plasma table

Post by dan grote »

I am reaching out to learn the best free software to use to create and modify DXF files to be used with my Dynatorch Plasma Table.
Thanks in advance.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New to design DXF format to be used with Dynatorch plasma table

Post by ROKCRLER »

I like QCad for 2D, also using a Dynatorch :Like
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
dan grote
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dan grote »

Thank you for your response!
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I'd suggest that it depends on the type of work you plan on doing. If you're doing art type designs, you'll probably want a more art oriented software, such as Inkscape, which is free, or Corel Draw, which is not. If you plan on more mechanical type designs, you may want a CAD type program, such as was mentioned above. I do mostly mechanical type designs, and I use a Linux operating system, so lately I've been using FreeCAD. When I have an artistic type design to do, I use Corel Draw on my Windows computer.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

dan grote wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:17 am I am reaching out to learn the best free software to use to create and modify DXF files to be used with my Dynatorch Plasma Table.
Thanks in advance.
I would recommend taking a look at Fusion 360 (free hobbyist version). Langmuir has some excellent tutorial videos here.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion

LightBurn is also worth taking a look at. You can download a free 30 day trial, and the cost to purchase is $60.

https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/tri ... re-you-buy

I particularly like to use Inkscape for converting jpeg and bitmap files to dxf format using the auto-trace feature.
My "Go-To" software is Design Edge, but the cost for a stand alone license is several thousand dollars, so definitely not "free".

David
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

If our doing artistic stuff I like Corel but its not free in which case Inkscape would be my second choice as it is free and widely used among many on this site so lots of help if you need it. For mechanical designs Fusion360 is free for hobbyists and extremely good for anything mechanical. Those would be my 2 choices and there free so get both, give them a try, and let us know what you think :Like
dan grote
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dan grote »

Thanks to all for your replies, I do have Corel draw and use it for my laser but have not tried to convert a design (my work is mostly artwork) to a dxf file but will try that.
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

dan grote wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:58 am Thanks to all for your replies, I do have Corel draw and use it for my laser but have not tried to convert a design (my work is mostly artwork) to a dxf file but will try that.
Perfect! If you already have Corel and already know how to use it to any degree and do mostly artwork than I figure your all set. If you have any questions there is a dedicated Corel forum here viewforum.php?f=49 just post your question and you will get help. I have been using Corel for years for plasma and can certainly help.

Return to “General Discussion”