Solid Works

General software related questions should be posted here.
Steveinmelb
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Solid Works

Post by Steveinmelb »

Hey guys,
If anyone has done some solidworks have you ever had this problem:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4ncTh4GajJEdLaCp8

Now when using smart Dimensions if i click and drag out (to get a preview) nothing happens.

I need to click again which makes it hard to change where i am dimensioning.

Can't find an answer online etc. Thought you might have come accross it.

It was working perfectly for a long time, Somehow I have clicked something or pressed a shortcut button to change a setting and I can't get it back.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Solid Works

Post by adbuch »

Mine has always worked that way. I click on the line I want to dimension, drag it out, and then when I click the modify box appears directly over the dimension. But the dimension stays in the position I placed it without a problem. I enter the numerical dimension in the modify box and then click on the green check mark. I never know it worked any other way. Yes - it would be handy to have the modify box pop up next to the dimension, but not on top of it.

David
smart dimension sw.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I have pretty much switched from SolidWorks to Fusion 360. I find the Fusion 360 user interface much more intuitive and easy to use. Here is the same sequence of using the "smart dimension' tool. It pretty much does the same thing, placing the dimension modify box right on top of the dimension. I have never found this to be a problem.

David
fusion 360 - 1.jpg
fusion 360 - 2.jpg
fusion 360 - 3.jpg
fusion 360 - 4.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Steve - I actually just took another look at your video and I now understand your problem. Your modify box is popping up before you click. Here is the sequence of the same smart dimension and mine works fine. I am not aware of any setting that you may have changed that could cause this. If you are using a wireless mouse, try replacing your batteries. Or you might have a bad mouse with a "sticky" button. Try another mouse would be my suggestion.

David

Select the smart dimension tool and left click on the line to dimension.
smart dimension sw 1.jpg

Move the mouse pointer to position the dimension, then left click.
smart dimension sw 2.jpg

Select the dimension modification box and move so it is not on top of dimension text.
smart dimension sw 3.jpg

Enter the desired numerical dimension in the box and then click the green check mark to finish.
smart dimension sw 4.jpg
Steveinmelb
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Steveinmelb »

thanks for the responses,
very strange I spent so long trying to fix the problem and now it has just gone back to working properly again....
No idea but i hope it doesnt happen again
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Steveinmelb wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:51 pm thanks for the responses,
very strange I spent so long trying to fix the problem and now it has just gone back to working properly again....
No idea but i hope it doesnt happen again
If you are using a wireless mouse, check your batteries. I have had similarly strange things happen when my batteries were low.
David

Return to “General Discussion”