New table need easy to use cam software

General software related questions should be posted here.
Youngsfabrication
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New table need easy to use cam software

Post by Youngsfabrication »

Hello everyone
New to the Cnc world and I am looking for advise from the brain trust on the forum. The more I read the more confused I get. From other fellow nubies what software has the quickest ramp up time. Am I looking for a unicorn? Thanks in advance
Btw I have a little cad experience but just not in the cnc world and I am computer proficient
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New table need easy to use cam software

Post by acourtjester »

Are you going to buy a table, many come with operational software, and you can ask questions about that to learn here. Since you have some CAd experience what you need next is Cam software and many here use SheetCam. They offer a demo version so you poke around with it (it does limit the size and some other functions), but there is enough to get started. With your software selection stick with one type at a time, to reduce the confusion. There are lots of YouTube videos covering many topics. This site has many great videos showing different portions of the CNC world. https://arclightcnc.com/support/support-videos You did not say if you are only interested in Plasma CNC, but realize there are many different section with the connecting thread of CNC activities. Like many DIY types I use my table for plasma, wood routing, drag knife (sign vinyl cutting), and metal scribing. Many members here that are very helpful from a varied group of users for all over the world. There are many posted projects for you to download and do yourself, and many questions have been asked. You may get you toe wet by using the search function in the upper right, switching the wording can expand the search sometimes. Just remember you eat and elephant one bit at a time. :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Since you are already proficient with CAD, you might consider taking a look at Fusion 360 - CAD and CAM all in the same package, plus post processors to generate your G-Code to feed to your table controller. There are many good Youtube videos, and in particular some from Langmuir I would definitely recommend taking a look at. They make is simple to draw a part and generate the G-Code.
David

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion
F360 langmuir.jpg
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by AREA »

I think it really depends on what you want to do. Fusion 360 is indeed fantastic and could be learned fairly easily however I feel it is awesome for mechanical design, but for artistic designs it is very cumbersome to use. I use CorelDraw which is awesome for artistic stuff and OK for mechanical stuff. CorelDraw is expensive so many here use Inkscape which is a free and comparable alternative to Corel with plenty of help from members here. So if your on a budget and want artistic and mechanical ability for free try Inkscape, if machanical design is your thing you really can't beat Fusion 360 I think. Best of luck and let us know how things work out for you.

Return to “General Discussion”