Transferring files between Inkscape and QCAD

General software related questions should be posted here.
Rocketdc
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Transferring files between Inkscape and QCAD

Post by Rocketdc »

I've been trying to move files between the two and everything seems to be fine until I go to open up the file after it's imported and nothing appears? I'm saving the files on Inkscape as R14 dxf before I import in QCAD.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Transferring files between Inkscape and QCAD

Post by acourtjester »

When using Inkscape and other programs be sure you item is in a path form so you save your work.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I find that moving dxf files in and out of various programs often causes problems. If you can stick with one program that would be the best to eliminate problems or the design being altered. Why are you moving files between Inkscape and QCad?
Rocketdc
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rocketdc »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 pm When using Inkscape and other programs be sure you item is in a path form so you save your work.
That worked, thanks.
Rocketdc
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rocketdc »

plasmanewbie wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:43 am I find that moving dxf files in and out of various programs often causes problems. If you can stick with one program that would be the best to eliminate problems or the design being altered. Why are you moving files between Inkscape and QCad?
The machine and software are new to me so I'm trying to familiarize myself with how everything works and the best methods to create different work. From what I'm learning Inkscape and QCAD have different strengths and capabilities, maybe you're right and migrating between the two will cause more problems, but even learning what doesn't work helps me understand all the processes better.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Good man attach your problems head on, As to QCAD they have 2 ways of saving DFX files. I never used it for actual work but did use it to convert some DXF files. If you look at the file drop down menu about half way down there is a save command that has other info then just "save" or "save as". I do not have it on my computer now so I cannot tell you the exact method. Having a CAD program is needed to do some Plasma planning, finding one you like and understand helps. They all are very handy, some are more expensive and much more complicated. Most have the same features but call then different names or how to use them, so it is hard to compare them. Most offer a free trial setup so you can sniff them out.
I use TurboCad deluxe 2018 ( about $150.) not saying you should jump on that just a reperance. Also if you start looking around be sure to fully understand what the package has and has not. I bought an upgrade and found it was really a Architectural type not the mechanical type, they refunded me. There are lots of YouTube video on many different CAD programs, or see what the members here like.
Here is a link for QCAD's manual that shows the different command/operations.
https://qcad.org/doc/qcad/2.2/reference ... ter08.html
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Rocketdc wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:23 am The machine and software are new to me so I'm trying to familiarize myself with how everything works and the best methods to create different work. From what I'm learning Inkscape and QCAD have different strengths and capabilities, maybe you're right and migrating between the two will cause more problems, but even learning what doesn't work helps me understand all the processes better.
Very true and good on your for sticking it out and learning all you can to find the best conbination for you :Like :Like
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Spend the extar 30 bucks for the QCAD "Pro" upgrade and it adds the ability to EXPORT in SVG. SVG will import direclty inot SheetCAM and several ofter programs and bring across the arc and curves intact. DXF export filters ofter do not handle polylines/arc and segment them inot hundreds of tiny lines.. DXF is my least favourite way to move or use vector files. Sometimes PDF if its a vector drawing works well INTO Inkscape . I move a lot of files between Inkscape (my primary drawing program) and other programs like VCarve Pro , CorelDraw and even into Freecad and Fusion 360. Nothing always work the same or perfect. YOu can export (Save As) in inkscape seval formats like EPS and PDF that work with a lot of modern drawing and CAM . DXF is a closed format owned by Autodesk and they change it when they want and document it when they fell like it . That is why a lot of programs can't import the later versions that have more advanced options . I would suggest tyou avoid DXF whenever possible . If you want artwork (clipart) more an more are offering it in SVG or EPS. AI , EPS and PDF are all forms of Postscript (a graphics "language"). Bitmaps (images) are a toolay different deal that I won't go into here.

Return to “General Discussion”