Solid Edge

General software related questions should be posted here.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Solid Edge

Post by ROKCRLER »

I've been using Qcad for 2d parts but am now wanting to learn 3d. I tried Fusion a 2 years ago when i started with plasma but didnt grasp it well.
Qcad has been great with all the tutorials.

I searched on the forum and found a few users using Solid Edge, but not much info other than they are using it.

I make brackets and such for off-road projects and found SE can do sheet metal folding, im slowly grasping that part.
I'm making keyed brackets and would like to model them in 3d to make sure the fit is correct.
Here is what I've been doing in 2d
1.JPG
1.JPG (18.78 KiB) Viewed 611 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (32.6 KiB) Viewed 611 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (47.77 KiB) Viewed 611 times
I've found several tutorials on youtube, but they are mainly for what i consider complex parts.
Can anyone shed some light for me?
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Solid Edge

Post by beefy »

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for, and what you want light to be shed on, but hopefully the following may help.

Regarding using 3D solid modelling to check fit, you would have to model both parts in the software then you create an assembly (at least that how mine works - Alibre Design, similar to Solidworks). The software has a feature that checks for interferences, i.e. where one part is actually passing "into" the other part. Once "assembled" you can also visually see gaps, etc, that you may not have expected. You can also hide parts, so for example if one part is actually a sub-assembly of single solid parts, you can hide the individual ones to expose others that were hidden. You can also create section views where a plane "slices" through the middle of a part, sub-assembly, etc so that you can see how things fit on the inside.

As for how to do all that in Solid Edge you really need detailed video tutorials. One source that "hires" videos is this one:
http://www.solidmastermind.com/cdn/cate ... tutorials/

When I was playing with SolidEdge2D there was hardly any decent training videos and the above was the only one I could find. I even wrote to Siemens telling them that they offer their 2D version for free, but there's not much info on how to use it. They agreed and said they need to address that but did zippo LOL. So I moved on to other stuff.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Thanks beefy...I think I should have explained more detailed.

I saw on one video to draw in 2d sketch, then import the parts to assembly. My feeble mind has been assembling in 2d and can't retrain my brain to draw individual parts🤦🏽

I've been watching the solidmastermind vids, and ran thru the free ones, just hate to pay for the course not knowing if it'll help with these types of designs.

I do appreciate your input tho👍🏽
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

I have worked with Fusion 360 but none of the others listed above. I have found Fusion 360 to be fairly easy to grasp even though I have zero training in CAD design or much of anything for that matter. I can't say that I have found a video that explains everything really well however any time I have been stumped I have been successful in finding a short video or text instruction on how to solve the problem at hand and move on. I have been successful in designing parts, specifying the correct material, putting them into an assembly, inserting all the correct hardware, etc. Attached is a picture of a project I did, this assembly contains numerous parts I designed from scratch made from UHMW, aluminum, bearings, nuts, bolts, washers, etc and all fits together perfectly. Never in a 100 years did I think I would ever be capable of this so I am sold on Fusion 360.
hub.PNG
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

That is nice!.. i "think" i need to design individual parts first then bring them into assembly.
Here is the latest project ive been working on.
I got the 2d down pat, and i was trying to make it in assembly instead of individual parts. These parts are keyed together
This weekend i'll try to make them in parts and see if i can assemble them.
Truss.JPG
I do appreciate all the input!
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Yes, I designed each component on it's own in 2D and then extrude them to make them 3D. I then import each part into the assembly and the controls allow me to accurately place them in the assembly where they should be. Your rear end assembly looks pretty wicked and looks very doable even with my mere skills. The parts I would struggle with trying to do that would be creating the 3D design of the diff pot, and the spindle mounts. Axle tubes, gussets, etc would be a cinch though.
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Thanks for the input sonbakler... i'll play with drawing the parts up this weekend.
The center section and C's are a bit advanced for me too... good thing i just need the parts to land on the tubes :)
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

So... I've been plugging away at Solid Edge and all i have to says is... NEVER GIVE UP!
The following part i drew old school with CardBoardAidedDesign then transfered the dimensions to QCad and cut them out.
That night I thought to myself..."Mo, learn 3D...." and since I listen to most of what i tell myself, i drew the parts again in Solid Edge to see if i could.
Well, here it is... and i even "learned" to assemble the 4 pieces... better yet.. i learned to add motion. :Like
QCad file:
IMG_20211004_092714_01.jpg
Solid Edge:

Finished Product:
PXL_20211003_202257819.jpg
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Nice Man! Yes indeed, never, ever, ever give up. Super impressed, great looking parts, great looking assembly....well done :Like :Like :Like
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Nice work! Persistence can really pay off.
David

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like

Return to “General Discussion”