Best retrofit software/ controller for ESAB piecemaker 2

General software related questions should be posted here.
SBeck
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Best retrofit software/ controller for ESAB piecemaker 2

Post by SBeck »

Hello, first off I'm glad I found this forum, so much knowledge here from you guys! I recently purchased a used 2008 ESAB piecemaker 2 5x25' table and am working on getting it set back up. I have been exploring many software options and am thinking I should replace the outdated and discontinued Vision controller before selecting the best software for my needs. I would like to keep the existing servo motors if possible. I do like the option of adding an air scribe and pneumatic drill also if possible. My thought is build a new z axis with an ohmic sensor and NPN proximity sensors. I currently use fusion 360 for design work but am open to different CAD software. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as my best option for a new controller and CAM software, or am I dreaming of doing all of these things? Nesting is also something that I would like to have available. Thank you in advance!!
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Best retrofit software/ controller for ESAB piecemaker 2

Post by weldguy »

I would contact Flashcut and C&CNC, both have ads running above and either could likely help you accomplish what you are looking to do. Flashcut will be more money but will likely have everything you want including the nesting. Fusion 360 is awesome for mechanical designs but for artistic stuff its not so great, I use CorelDraw for art stuff. Good luck on your rebuild!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I would consider the Centroid Acorn controller for your application. This will run steppers or servos, and the cost is reasonable.

https://vimeo.com/366139327

Here is an example of the Acorn running a shop built plasma cutting table.
Machine:
Shop built CNC plasma cutter with DMM servos and drives, Victor plasma torch and Centroid Acorn CNC control. Used Fusion 360 sheet metal module to design part and for cam, using Hypertherm post processor option.

https://vimeo.com/366139327
Centroid Acorn running cnc plasma table.jpg
I have used the Centroid Acorn for two different cnc applications (not cnc plasma) and it works well for me. Purchase of the controller includes the Centroid cnc12 control software which works great, and a great deal at around $300.

David
Centroid Acorn on Amazon.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Centroid-Acorn-C ... 234&sr=8-2
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... oller.html

centroid acorn is a very expensive option, $300 will by you the controller and "basic" software (free)

add to that the options .... none of which is a plasma (torch height control) option

go ahead an ask a few questions on the forum they can be a prickly bunch in my short experience.....

download the demo software and see how it feels to use.

other options:
linuxcnc but it requires other programmes / modules to be loaded and you have a choice of graphical front ends to choose from (all customisable if you have the time and need, centroid is NOT customisable .... you get the software.... as is..... )
there is PlasmaC which is a component and runs the plasma side of things, and a new neat clean GUI called QTPlasmaC for plasma. it doesn't do nesting (I don't think..... but centroid won't do nesting either, not at least with the free centroid software I believe), there are other guis too that you can install a module called NativeCAM.

for gcode generation I use sheetcam almost exclusively (for plasma)

cost of linuxcnc..... FREE

it can be run on old pcs with a parallel port, but Mesa hardware will give you the best control imo and the board's are not that expensive (half the cost and less than centroid will give you a good plasma with thc as a load of Inputs and outputs, the ability for touchscreen, various MPGs of your choice)

yes there is a learning curve in my experience, but that depends on how complex you have your setup and want it to integrate other things (serial keypad, modbus VFD, mill, router and lathe).... if you just want a basic plasmac setup with a thc, ohmic sense + breakaway torch holder and floating head, you can be up and running very fast within a couple of hours.

I have not used this (as I don't need much nesting and sheetcam can do simple nesting), but this is available and very cheap and runs on Linux should you go the linuxcnc route
https://www.nesting-technologies.com/

servos and steppers are not a problem with linuxcnc

as questions on each of the forums .... the only stupid question is one that is not asked, and guage the responses you get.... because if you need to add or change something and learn how it works to get the most from it, those are the guys who will help you after you paid your money

good luck with your choice
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

If the machine is discontinued, the servos are probably not step and direction (more likely analog 0-10v control). If thats the case, I would strongly suggest you consider Linuxcnc as Robert has suggested. The new Linuxcnc QTPlasmac in Version 2.9 is a high end controller even though its free. I would not look any further. Analog servos can be controlled with a Mesa 7i77 which has 6 axis analog control with 6 encoder inputs. If it is Step and direction the Mesa 7i95 is an ethernet card with 6 axis step and direction with 6 encoders. There are other options but we'd need to know info about your servo drives and motors. IF you are open to Linuxcnc, I would swing over to their forum and post some details about your drives and motors so you can confirm hardware selection.

QTPlasmac has a basic array function but there is also post processors for F360 and Sheetcam. Sheetcam has good nesting and F360 has that evolving in their manufacturing module. I use Sheetcam.
SBeck
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SBeck »

Thank you everyone for the information! Sorry it took me a bit to get back here and follow up. I jumped down on a 1/2" concrete anchor that was sticking out of the ground 4" driving it into my foot to the bone last week and have been a little under the weather. I walked on it today a little for the first time in a week. I will do some reading on your suggestions! Has anyone used Masso? I will take a look at my motors as soon as I can get around the machine a little better.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I am aware of masso, never used it.

it appears somewhat expensive as it requires you to buy modules to unlock features.

a couple of people switched from masso to uccnc. the reasons given were it was a little closed and difficult to modify or customise to their needs.

suggestion.... ask if anyone ditched masso for something else and see if there are any replies

https://www.masso.com.au/product-catego ... ntrollers/

Return to “General Discussion”