Done with Mach 3 need advice on user friendly control system

General software related questions should be posted here.
bnflette
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Done with Mach 3 need advice on user friendly control system

Post by bnflette »

I’ve been running Mach 3 with sheetcam on a 4x4 table, thermal dynamics Cutmaster82 with automation card, Sl100sv, mechanized torch. Height control is proma. My unit has been down for a while after hard drive got destroyed. I have no desire to return to Mach 3 and want some advice from those who have changed from Mach to stand alone controller , Linux Cnc, or any other variation that will take the place of mach3 and Allow me to get up and running again without requiring a ton of command line interface. All opinions are much welcome
And appreciated. I would like to keep cost within reason. I can’t afford much beyond $600. I’ve already wasted about $300 on a standalone DDCS4 v3.1 and it is so geared toward lathes and routers that I can’t get it functioning properly. No response will be considered stupid all is welcome . Thanks in advance.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Done with Mach 3 need advice on user friendly control system

Post by acourtjester »

I moved away from Mach 3 to UCCNC with a UC400ETH, cost for that card and software is about $210 plus a cable to connect to a parallel input BOB board. It will run Mach 3 software or their own software, there is a learning curve but not real bad. It did improve axis movement and I have hooked up both a Ohmic sensor and THC working fine. If you have a working parallel printer BOB, the cable interfaces with that no changing of wiring, You will need an additional 24 volt supply to power it too.
https://cnc4pc.com/uccnc-control-software.html
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
bnflette
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bnflette »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:27 pm I moved away from Mach 3 to UCCNC with a UC400ETH, cost for that card and software is about $210 plus a cable to connect to a parallel input BOB board. It will run Mach 3 software or their own software, there is a learning curve but not real bad. It did improve axis movement and I have hooked up both a Ohmic sensor and THC working fine. If you have a working parallel printer BOB, the cable interfaces with that no changing of wiring, You will need an additional 24 volt supply to power it too.
https://cnc4pc.com/uccnc-control-software.html
The UCCNC Will run its own software on the Mach3 hardware?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

What I am saying is if you have the electronics working with Mach 3. A parallel BOB which is the interface with your computer you can use that as a base. The new interface will be the UCCNC card which will connect to the parallel port on the UCCNC card and the ethernet port on your computer. This configuration will allow you to use either Mach3 software or the UCCNC software to run the table. It also uses the setting that are already setup for your table as to motor drive and wiring. There are some operational changes for things like homing, and setting for the ohmic sensor. I also opted (not needed) for another screen set which offers some changes to the visual look of the screen ($20. Neon screen set).
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
bnflette
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bnflette »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:08 am What I am saying is if you have the electronics working with Mach 3. A parallel BOB which is the interface with your computer you can use that as a base. The new interface will be the UCCNC card which will connect to the parallel port on the UCCNC card and the ethernet port on your computer. This configuration will allow you to use either Mach3 software or the UCCNC software to run the table. It also uses the setting that are already setup for your table as to motor drive and wiring. There are some operational changes for things like homing, and setting for the ohmic sensor. I also opted (not needed) for another screen set which offers some changes to the visual look of the screen ($20. Neon screen set).
Thank you it sounds like a perfect solution to my problem.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Also, Linuxcnc's Plasmac will do everything for < $200
But to get going you could do it by free and still use your Proma 150 if thats what you have.
FabLab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by FabLab »

I recently switched from Mach 3 to Masso, While it is out of your stated budget, I will say I am extremely happy with it, it works very well and was simple to setup.
bnflette
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bnflette »

I went with uccnc and the uc400eth but I’m having trouble with setting it up. I don’t have the settings from my Mach 3 setup since I lost all with the failed hard drive. I have the manual but could use some examples or starting points for everything. I’m at the point where I’m no longer sure if my problem is with the software or hardware.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

have you got communication between your pc and the uc400rth?

did you set up the static IP address?

have you installed your uccnc licence?

what hardware do you have?

my crystal ball is not picking up your problem very well, could you try explaining it .... give us a clue..... provide some photos of your breakout board and cabinet?

do you have awaiting schematic? a rough sketch will do
c_rossman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by c_rossman »

I find almost no issues running Mach 3 with a SmoothStepper ethernet adapter and standard breakout board. A $100 laptop running windows 10 off of Facebook Marketplace, smoothstepper is less than $200. Will work with your THC.

Return to “General Discussion”