need help drawing truss gussets

General software related questions should be posted here.
cowboyupcustoms89
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

need help drawing truss gussets

Post by cowboyupcustoms89 »

hello I am super new to all this mostly I have done simple signs that I drew in my plasma cam software and now my boss wants me to draw and cut a bunch of truss gussets and I don't know where to start. the only other drawing software I have is inkscape can they be drawn there? would love all the help I can get on a strict and short time budget.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: need help drawing truss gussets

Post by adbuch »

If you have drawn signs with your Plasmacam software, you should be able to draw a truss with the same software. Do you have Plasmacam 3.11 or are you using 4.xx with Design Edge? I use Design Edge on my Plasmacam DHC2 table and it works great and is really simple to use.
David
cowboyupcustoms89

Hey David
I will have to look because I have owned the table since around 2014 or so but I have probably only cut 5 or 6 things with it and it was mostly drag and drop dxf that I sized and maybe added circles too. I don’t remember which version of plasma cam I’m running but I doubt it has been updated since the previous owners in 2011 or 12. I hate to admit it but I don’t even know what design edge is. The thing with drawing the trusses is I’m not sure how to get the exact angles I would need to make it fit right. I guess I could pay someone to draw them for me but I would much rather learn how to do it. Thank you for the reply I will do some research hopefully today (after I’m done with my full time job) and try to get you some better answers
Thanks
Charles
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Draw a sketch of one of the trusses with dimensions and angles and upload so we can take a look. This can be drawn by hand and take photo with camera/phone and save as jpeg.
David
cowboyupcustoms89

David,
here is the picture that was given to me and as far as I can see there are no angles which I don't understand are they expecting me to guess? and also as per our conversation this morning I checked and I am running 3.11 but when I called plasma cam to ask about the design edge software I almost choked on my drink I am not sure when I will be able to afford the upgrade.
Charles
Attachments
this is the picture given to me and it doesn't show angles or anything that I can see
this is the picture given to me and it doesn't show angles or anything that I can see
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

It sounds like you are making the side plates that will be attached to the trusses, and not the actual trusses. Correct?
Also, the drawing has no dimensions, only the scale of 3/4" = 1 ft. So you need to actually measure at least one side of one of these (measure right on the drawing) so we can tell what the actual size is.
David
Last edited by adbuch on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowboyupcustoms89

correct sorry for the confusion. am going off what the guy called them when he asked me to make them and like someone who's mouth works faster than the brain I agreed then thought crap how am I going to draw them I have no experience with this sort of thing.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Also, the drawing has no dimensions, only the scale of 3/4" = 1 ft.

So you need to actually measure at least one side of one of these (measure right on the drawing) so we can tell what the actual size is.
need measurement.jpg
need measurement 1.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Give me the measurement in green shown above (not really 6.888). Just measure on the drawing from one corner to the other (ends of dimension line) and let me know the actual length you measure on the paper drawing. Then I can scale to proper size. These are easy enough for me to trace and get you the dxf files.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is the first one. There is some question about the drawing provided with the 2" min. call outs on the actual supplied drawing you were given. I will need more information in order to provide a final version.
David
Truss Plate 1 image.jpg
truss plate 1 dxf.dxf
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
cowboyupcustoms89

sounds good right now all I have is the picture I sent you but I will ask for the original tomorrow and hopefully I can answer your questions.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Are these actual structural truss plates or just being added for looks?
I would ask whoever is sending you the information to provide the actual truss plate details (should be a detail sheet) not the sections.

If these are actually structural, I would steer clear. If just for looks, good luck.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

These are very similar to the Simpson rafter ties/joist hangers/truss plates available from most of the builder supply houses. The only difference is that these are shaped specifically for the particular application (and most likely not available "off the shelf"). In this case, these plates are meant to be screwed or nailed to each side of the truss joint for reinforcement purposes. If creating the drawing from scratch, then complete drawings with dimensions would be required. However, since the existing drawing shows the geometry of the shapes - and includes the hole spacing and size - the only thing missing is a single dimension for scaling purposes. Once this dimension is specified, it will be a simple matter to scale the dxf files to the correct size. I am using Design Edge to do a manual trace of each plate - quick and accurate.
David

Return to “General Discussion”