Cant search "western" or "font"? Says too common of a word.

General software related questions should be posted here.
VPT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Cant search "western" or "font"? Says too common of a word.

Post by VPT »

I understand "font" being too common of a word but "western" is too?

I am having trouble downloading and using any western fonts off the internet. Even ones listed as "ok for commercial use". I can download the font, install it, shows up on the screen right and even in the preview screen in Plasmacam right. But when I click ok and it gets transferred it shows up as some other plain or weird font.

Do I need to restart the computer after installing the font for it to work right or something? Ive installed a number of different fonts before and never remember this much trouble getting them to work.
VPT

Re: Cant search "western" or "font"? Says too common of a word.

Post by VPT »

This is what happens.

I input this and get this preview.

Then this crap comes out when I click ok.

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have seen this also, it has be discussed here too. I think it is a file format problem, you would think there would be a standard but it seems not. With fonts most are stored in windows font folder and the 3rd party software looks for the fonts there. Weather there is a mismatch in the bringing the font file into the 3rd party is where there is the problem. I have seen this with Inkscape with fonts too, no help just how it is. I have also seen a font look good in SheetCam and cut differently, bummer.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
VPT

Post by VPT »

It is just super weird this time for me. Like I said I've installed many fonts before without an issue. In fact I just downloaded and installed a bunch more just to check and see if this was a new problem and they all work. BUT any western style font I try to download and install doesnt work. I've tried probably 15 different western style fonts from multiple different sites and even just paid a stupid amount for one and not one of them work.

I've tried every way possible to install them too from simply clicking "install" on the font file which works for 90% of all my other fonts, I've tried installing the font file directly into the windows font files, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted the computer multiple times, everything I could think of.

The biggest thing that baffles me is not one of the western files work no matter where i get them from. I can download any other font style file and they work just fine. Its like someone is playing a trick on me.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

I have seen that with the search function also and saw this topic last week that solved that and then some viewtopic.php?f=89&t=31799

Try it the results are awesome!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is some other things, I had a drawing and saved it in SVG and DXF. When planning the operation I found the same 2 files showed differently in SheetCam see attached images of the same loaded with the 2 file types. The funkie lower one was saved and imported as SVG format :Sad some of the letters are deformed.
font bad 1.JPG
font bad 1.JPG (23.28 KiB) Viewed 608 times
font bad 2.JPG
font bad 2.JPG (23.74 KiB) Viewed 608 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
VPT

Post by VPT »

Ah yes the google search. I've read that before but forgot. I seem to forget more than I retain lately.
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cstroke »

https://fonts.google.com/?query=western
Someone posted up about google fonts a while ago. Lol i just read the comment above mine doh.... Leaving it for comedic relief.

Here's a quick search there.
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

Make sure any fonts you install or use in a CAD program are TTF fonts or they do weird stuff. When you install a font, there may be different versions available, ALWAYS use the TTF if is available, If not, just don't bother..... May not be relevant to your issue but thought I would throw it out there anyhow....
VPT

Post by VPT »

Hello, Yes Ive tried multiple TTF fonts as well as every other possible style. Still to this day no luck for me. I posted over on the plasmacam forum to see if they have any input on the matter. It is the weirdest thing I have seen yet.

Return to “General Discussion”