Best suited controller software?

General software related questions should be posted here.
PFD402
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Best suited controller software?

Post by PFD402 »

I'm in the process of building a new table and have been researching what controller to go with. I've built a few tables in the past and have used Flashcut and CandCNC (w/CCNC).

The biggest issue I have with Flashcut is the initial cost and the cost of add-ons. CandCNC with CCNC was reasonable on the cost side of things, but with no previous Linux experience, I trouble shooting OS issues was a struggle.

Here are the controllers I've been looking at:

UC300ETH w/UCCNC. Neuron has a THC the integrates into UCCNC, but I've come across some threads of issues getting the THC units due to customs. I know Proma THC will work with UCCNC, but I want the THC integrated into the UCCNC screen.

Vital Systems ArcPro. This seems like a professional system with integrated THC, but in researching there seems to be a bunch of negative threads on Mach4. So I've very hesitant.

MyPlasm CNC. This comes with its own THC. Overall it seems very limited on settings and as far as I can tell it can only control a torch, no plate marker.

I'd appreciate hearing input on either the systems above or ones I may have over looked. The main requirements are integrated real time THC and the ability to add tools such as a plate marker.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Best suited controller software?

Post by acourtjester »

I cannot give you an absolute answer but tell you what I have done the covers some of you concerns. First the use of plate marker (and other add ons) is more in the Generation of the G-code rather then the controller. Many controller will follow what the G-code tells it to do. I have used Mach 3 in the past, and looked at Mach 4. I now use a UC400ETH and it works very well with the different add ons (router, drag knife diamond scribe, and THC) I use. I an unsure of what you mean "issues getting the THC units due to customs" are you talking about out of country shipping problems? I assume you are saying you want THC integrated into the screen similar to what CandCNC and others do. I find that nice but not a deal breaker for me, making the settings on an external unit before I do the cutting that objectionable. IMHO
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
wilman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wilman »

neuron lite or pro is the best, only compared to hypertherm's ArcGlide. A separate point is Andrew's remote backup and support, simply THE BEST.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Many people have converted to LinuxCNC's plasmac config and have never looked back. The latest GUI configuration QTPlasmac is purpose built for plasma. There is a seperate section on this forum for plasmac that might be worth reviewing.

Return to “General Discussion”