I need a new computer...

General software related questions should be posted here.
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

I need a new computer...

Post by AKmud »

Hi all, I’ve had my table for two weeks now and have quickly realized I need a new laptop for design work. My wife has a MacBook Pro but it’s a 2011 model and is on its last legs. I’m not really wanting to drop another $2k for another Mac. What should I be looking for when it comes to a good, fast laptop? I’ve been reading that 8GB RAM is kind of minimum for 2D design. What about processor speeds and graphics cards? Any recommendations for a particular unit would be greatly appreciated. I’m hoping to keep it under $1k if possible.

It’s kind of like the “which CNC table should buy” thing I guess...
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: I need a new computer...

Post by weldguy »

Oh man, you can buy a good laptop for well under 1k these days with more than enough for what we need for 2d vector drawings. I personally use a Microsoft Surface Book but there kinda pricey. 8GB ram is easily enough and most come with at least that these days, for sure you will want a SSD rather than a standard HDD (lighting quick boot up) but aside from that any current processor and graphics card will be fine.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

When it comes to CAD work check out the graphic card requirements for the specific CAD you are using.

Depending how the software works the graphics card may be just as important as the cpu, ram, etc.
Having said that I'm using Coreldraw 2019 on quite a basic computer that I picked up for free when some office was upgrading. No problems yet.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AKmud »

That's good to hear. Thanks for the replies. I've heard Dell has some "ready to ship" laptops. Time to do some shopping...

Return to “General Discussion”