Resizing a DXF file

General software related questions should be posted here.
karensmc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Resizing a DXF file

Post by karensmc »

How can I resize a DXF file? When I try to open one (a dxf) in inkscape, it doesn't seem to work..there is no file or drawing there. Can I resize in
sheetcam? I don't want to download another cad program..I'm lucky to be able to use inkscape and sheetcam..LOL!!! I love many of the projects shared on this site but would like to change sizing on some of them.
Thanks!!
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Resizing a DXF file

Post by Ironken »

Personally, I cannot work with a dxf in inkscrap....I don't know if it can be done. If you have a cnc, you really need a CAD program....imho. If I need to scale a good drawing, I simply open in Draftsight (Draftsight 2018 is free until the end of the year, then it will no longer work and must be purchased) and scale til my heart's content. It is really easy.

I cannot speak on the quality of purchased or shared files from any source for scaling in CAD.....If I don't draw it or trace it, I don't cut it

I do not think you can scale in Sheetcam either.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I bet acourtjester will chime in here in a few.
I do all my DXF work in Qcad. Supper easy just, select what you want to resize, click on the Modification tool button, again click on the part, set the scale percentage, click OK button and you're done.
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Same here with dxf's and Inkscape Ironken...I don't even pull em in, though I'm certain acourtjester could conduct a class. :D

I highly recommend a cad program to anyone serious about working with .dxf files. It doesn't have to be overly complicated or expensive. The way I see it if one can bring in images (jpeg, png etc.), work with nodes and text then they should be good to go. Just need to become proficient with it. Lots of people search for the latest software with hopes of perfect traces at the click of a mouse. In my opinion that only works well on very hi resolution images of basic subjects with profound lines. Inkscape does a decent job of this but even in the rare case I actually DO scan something I then pull it into cad to double/triple check and scale to size.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I suppose you could change the scaling in the Drawing Options dialog box when you first import the file into Sheetcam. This of course would entail you knowing in advance the size of the drawing and how much bigger (or smaller) you'd want it to be.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Ok I took the bait, you can scale DXF files in Inkscape (but they need to be produced with software that Inkscape can read), as I have said many times, Some software packages don't play nice.
Attached is a file from Plasma spider I downloaded. In inkscape you need to change the scale fro PX to IN after you load the file in. You will see a change in the boxes labeled W and H in the task bar then you need to draw a box around the drawing with the arrow tool (upper left) and then click on path then combine. This will group all the internal parts of the drawing together. Now click on the lock icon between the W and H to the locked position. Then change one of the dimensions (either W or H) to the size you want. You will need to do the math if you want a percent in place of a size, then enter that figure as a dimension. Original 12.6"X 125%=15.75 example not what I did :lol:
scale.JPG
scale.JPG (59.86 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
larger box around the drawing
scale 2.JPG
scale 2.JPG (48.75 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
this shows the internal parts of the drawing that need to be combines unless they will not scale
scale 3.JPG
Shows where I change the H to 25" to change scale :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

ben de lappe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 am Same here with dxf's and Inkscape Ironken...I don't even pull em in, though I'm certain acourtjester could conduct a class. :D

I highly recommend a cad program to anyone serious about working with .dxf files. It doesn't have to be overly complicated or expensive. The way I see it if one can bring in images (jpeg, png etc.), work with nodes and text then they should be good to go. Just need to become proficient with it. Lots of people search for the latest software with hopes of perfect traces at the click of a mouse. In my opinion that only works well on very hi resolution images of basic subjects with profound lines. Inkscape does a decent job of this but even in the rare case I actually DO scan something I then pull it into cad to double/triple check and scale to size.
And Jester pulled through. I have friends that don't get the concept that there is no "easy button" where you simply import a pic and bammo.....a wonderful piece of art flops off of my table. And thusly why I stay away from art.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 am Ok I took the bait
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”