WARNING ABOUT CORELDRAW

General software related questions should be posted here.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

WARNING ABOUT CORELDRAW

Post by beefy »

I've put this in the general section because this is for anyone who may be considering purchasing cad software and Coreldraw is on the menu.

It appears since at least version X7, Coreldraw has a bug with DXF export. You can NOT turn off layer export.

Many times I have files with objects on more than one layer, but I don't want all those objects layers exported. So I turn off exporting on the layers I don't want and just export the ones I do want.

Two new 2017 installs on 2 separate PCs and the problem is identical. I've also been on the Coreldraw forum and the first member who checked this problem confirmed exactly the same issue. He used X7:

https://community.coreldraw.com/talk/co ... suite-2017

If would be good if anyone else here could try this with versions newer than X5 (X5 works fine). Corel support is making me do a whole bunch of things which I'm sure ain't going to make any difference. You can't fix a bug by setting everything back to default (on new default installs :lol: ) or completely uninstalling everything and reinstalling. I asked support to try out this problem themselves but for some reason they don't seem to be hearing that suggestion, hmmm.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: WARNING ABOUT CORELDRAW

Post by motoguy »

Same issue on 2017. I'd never noticed it, as I don't use DXF. I use SVG. With the SVG, it will disable layer export just fine. With DXF, it still exports the layers.

Perhaps put the layers you don't want to export on a 2nd page/sheet in the drawing? It's my understanding that it will only export whatever is on the active page/sheet being used.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks Motoguy,

every report from other CD users is good because it's proof to Corel "support", which I'm sure KNOWS this is a bug.

I don't think I can use pages like layers are used so that wouldn't work, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

In the export menus are you clicking the "Selected Only" tab? and yes "Support" is an oxymoron for the Corel folks
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 pm In the export menus are you clicking the "Selected Only" tab? and yes "Support" is an oxymoron for the Corel folks
Sorry SegoMan,

I don't know what you mean. What is the "export menu" and what is this "Selected Only" tab ?

I've heard the word "oxymoron" several times but never really knew its' meaning. Looked it up and know now :lol: , very reassuring.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

beefy wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:34 pm I've put this in the general section because this is for anyone who may be considering purchasing cad software and Coreldraw is on the menu.

It appears since at least version X7, Coreldraw has a bug with DXF export. You can NOT turn off layer export.

Did you open the Object manager tab in CorelDraw and turn off the visible, edit and print icons? It really hard to export a file that has multiple named layers if yoo deselect the print option. Are the objects actually on assigned separate layers in Object Manager? You can move them from layer to layer by being on the target layer in the object manager and selecting the object on the layer its on and hitting the Control Z and then control V to move it and not leave it on the source layer.

DXF out of CorelDraw has NEVER been really great with no support for arcs or circles . To CorelDraw DXF is s file format you use to PRINT.

Other vector formats like SVG, PS and AI work better but most CAM programs won't open them. SheetCAM will open SVG. Inkscape can open CDR files up to version X4 (maybe later by now). Inkscape uses SVG as a native file format, All those formats maintain the complex curves and polylines
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Segoman,

found out about the "Selected only" tickbox. Thanks for that tip.

Tom,

most of the time I work with DXF between Coreldraw & Sheetcam because it's much faster when a file is big/complicated. And MOST of the time the export is OK. I will turn to SVG if I have issues or even export to AI, open in AI, then export to DXF.

I'm not doing anything fancy with layers. Just 2 separate layers, with 1 object on each layer. Disable printing/exporting on one of the layers, then export to DXF. The disabled layer still exports the object. It only happens with DXF export, other formats work OK and the layer export disable works. I've been getting a bunch of other users to test this and it's the same with X7, X8, and 2017. X5 does not have this DXF export bug.

I'm now waiting to see if Corel "support" will get back to me on this or if they will do zippo (I'm expecting the latter).
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “General Discussion”