Text software, What works best?

General software related questions should be posted here.
JustAGuy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Text software, What works best?

Post by JustAGuy »

I placed this in the Inkscape forum, but think it would probably be better suited here.

Having just recently purchased a 6x12 table, I am very new to all of this. I am slowly getting it figured out and taking drafting courses in order to get caught up. I have 2019 AutoCad and Inscape installed on my desktop and would like to know what is the best software for a new user to quickly adapt to for cutting metal art with text? I have been asked (by family) to do a memorial piece (that is rather large) with Bible scripture imbedded in the art, I want to do it but have no experience in adding text and being able to adjust for "fall out". Any suggestions would be great and advise greatly appreciated.
Table: 6x12 Tactical CNC
Torch: Hypertherm Powermax 85
Software: Coreo, AutoCad
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Text software, What works best?

Post by Ironken »

I replied in the inkscape forum.
bigk_54
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bigk_54 »

Have the same question. I see a lot of people commenting on Stencil fonts 1.0 software, is it still good program to use? 30$ is a good deal if its still is a good program
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

Here is a video of DesignEdge text manipulation. Seems very intuitive to me. https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... 10ffb930c4

Dave Hanks
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

I use Corel Draw to set up my font. There has to be a couple hundred fonts in Corel Draw. I find one I like, set it up, either straight or curved then save as a .dxf file. Depending on what I am doing, I will sometimes just export as .dxf. I open my drawing, I use SolidEdge 2D, bring in the font, scale to fit. Works great. I typically save the font file as version R13 or R14 CAD option. This sign was about 30" wide 40" tall out of 10ga HR. Lettering is a little of 3 inches. I do the bridging in SolidEdge, it's just simpler than doing in in Corel.
Attachments
20180903_165112.jpg
20180903_165112.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 826 times
20171203_160117.jpg
20171203_160117.jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Art Walk 1.jpg
Art Walk 1.jpg (36.33 KiB) Viewed 830 times
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I only use Inkscape for setting up cutting text/art work, most any font that is in Windows font folder you can use in Inkscape. You use the test function then with it highlighted you click on path then object to path. This converts the test typed on the screen to a path, there are many functions you can use in Inkscape to move the test around. Like spacing between letter, moving letters up of down in respect to letters on a line. The main problem with test is their shapes, letters like A,B,D,E,P,O,Q, have center parts that will fall out when cut. Some fonts have bridges designed into the fonts similar to stencils or you can use the standard stencil fonts. You can also use non stencil fonts and make your own bridge parts to create your fonts for cutting by using small rectangles of ovals and then using the difference function under the path menu to remove the bridged area. I'm sure this can be done with other software packages. :D
font.JPG
font 2.JPG
font 2.JPG (22.89 KiB) Viewed 807 times
font 3.JPG
font 3.JPG (24.92 KiB) Viewed 807 times
font 4.JPG
font 4.JPG (25.94 KiB) Viewed 807 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe