jpeg to dxf

General software related questions should be posted here.
CombsFabrication
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

jpeg to dxf

Post by CombsFabrication »

Hello,
New to the plasma world and just starting to play with my PlasmaCAM table. Is there a software you guys would recommend for converting jpeg picture files over to a dxf or other usable file? I can import them through the Plasma cam design edge software, but the bitmap tends to leave the lines all jagged and takes me a few hours to clean the files up. Mainly trying to import simple outlines of cars. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Randy

Combs Prototype & Fabrication
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: jpeg to dxf

Post by plasmanewbie »

Hey Randy

I use Corel DRAW and I have found that converting bitmaps to dxf rarely produces good results unless I am using a good resolution black and white image. Any time I have tried to convert a full color image it looks like crap and I am better off to start from scratch. For simple outlines of cars you should be OK and I would search Google for car sillhouettes and it will provide you with plenty of black and white images that may trace ok. Best of luck!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have used Inkscape with good results, with both black and white and color jpeg images.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Hi Randy,

I use Design Edge for almost everything I do. I teach workshops on it as well and have several videos on YouTube and Facebook that might be of some help to you. Links are in my signature.
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

In '07 I was in the same boat, new to plasma and couldn't draw squat. Scan and trace software at the time left a lot to be desired...and still does. Granted, for a free program Inkscape will do a decent trace of a high quality b&w image with crisp detail/edges and will work for cars etc. like you want. But that's where all software is limited. Add colors and all bets are off. I did find I could pull the image into cad and with much practice, time devoted to learning and attention to detail found I could draw exactly what I want node by node with the mouse better than any software I have found. Not technically as fast as scan/trace but when I draw what I choose to draw there is little straightening when done and I did get faster. Much faster. And horribly addicted...So be careful. You just may find yourself drawing uncontrollably in cad and advising others in the artform before you know it.
Happy learning!

Return to “General Discussion”