transfer file

General software related questions should be posted here.
Nate540cid
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

transfer file

Post by Nate540cid »

hey guys
newbie question how are you guys using a desktop (in house or office ) and getting files to your (garage or shop ) laptop? im using fusion 360 and mach 3 i tried using a flash drive but couldnt get it to come up in mach 3 not sure if you can do it that way like i said totally new to this whole thing havent even made one cut yet just trying to find the best way possable thanks
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: transfer file

Post by plasmanewbie »

I save my files to my OneDrive folder which I think everyone has with Windows 10 and when I get to the shop I can open them from there. Allows me to work anywhere on my laptop and access the files when I need them at the shop plus you get the security of your files being backed up to OneDrive if your PC crashes.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Being a newbie you may not have converted the file to a G-code (.tap or .nc) to be used by Mach. I use a jump drive, USB stick, flash drive, ECT to transport my files from home to shop computer. You need to use a CAM program like SheetCam and others I think many here have said that Fusion 360 does not format the files the way Mach needs them to be. The CAM program has post processors that need to be compatible with with your tables electronics to do an accurate conversion. If you post your table and software your are using it will help those here help you in that process.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Nate540cid
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Nate540cid »

Plasmanewbie that’s a good idea i think I will start to do it that way much easier thanks ......acoutyjesterthe company I bought it from a few YouTube videos to get me started and I assumed I had followed step by step I played them a few times to make sure i didn’t miss anything but maybe I did I took a screen shot of my post process screen maybe you can see something I missed they say that fusion is suppose to work from what I’ve heard. I bought the table from Langmuir systems (crossfire ) here a screen shot of my post process screen thanks for your guys help
Nate540cid
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Nate540cid »

8162EF57-0F9F-4559-888B-CD6930EDF4DE.jpeg
8162EF57-0F9F-4559-888B-CD6930EDF4DE.jpeg (51.38 KiB) Viewed 582 times
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I have all my Linux computers on a wired network. It's very easy to set up a network between Linux computers. Then when I'm out in the shop and need a file from the office computer, it's just a matter of opening the file manager and picking the office computer (as long as the office computer is on!). I can then drag a file from the office computer and drop it on my shop computer desktop. Or I can drag a file from the shop computer and drop it on the office computer's desktop. What I generally do is I have a data partition set up on the office computer, where all of my files are kept. That way any changes to a file are kept in the same place for each computer to access.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Nate540cid
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Nate540cid »

that sounds a lot like one drive for Windows 10 that plasmanewbie had mentioned .....thanks for the idea Steve I’ll look into the wired network too

Return to “General Discussion”