help finding Autotrace software for windows XP user

General software related questions should be posted here.
PipeFitter539
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

help finding Autotrace software for windows XP user

Post by PipeFitter539 »

Hey plasma family,

I'm a long time PS member who's been out of the game for a few years. Now that I'm back I would like to upgrade my CAD software so drawing new projects isn't such a tedious process. My problem is I'm looking for a CAD program that is compatible with Windows XP, Sheetcam 2.0.6, and Mach 3. I realize I'm working with 10 year old relics but is there no trustworthy older version CAD dealers out there?
After researching I decided on Coreldraw X3 for the autotrace feature with this program. Corel themselves are absolutely no help as they only deal with their new versions X7 & X8. Amazon has old versions of Corel but people have complained about the security keys already being used for the programs they purchased thus the purchaser is unable to use the program.
Can anyone here recommend a program available with an autotrace function that is compatible with my OS and other programs. Any help would be much appreciated.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: help finding Autotrace software for windows XP user

Post by weldguy »

I have never found an autotrace program or feature that provides a good trace on anything but a simple, well defined, black & white picture. I end up having to trace 99.5% of my stuff manually. I know many members here really like Inkscape and I am pretty sure it will work on your XP system. Good luck!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have had very good results using both Inkscape and Paint, with both color and black and white bitmaps. Here is a video the rdj357 posted on yourtube that helps doing some prep work on images.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEzVGRx ... e=youtu.be
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

It does not have an autotrace function, but for a CAD program, SolidEdge work well with XP. The 2d version is free.

Return to “General Discussion”