C Cut Anyone?

General software related questions should be posted here.
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

C Cut Anyone?

Post by jason.jason.p »

Hello all, I just migrated employers and the new employers have some older machines one 125A plasma and one oxy/fuel torch. Just started a couple days ago and trying to get a handle on their software. Loading a file into the machines and making them cut is not much of an issue, the problem is with the CAD/CAM software. It seems outdated and a huge pain. (not user friendly)

Has anyone used software called C Cut? If so, I could use some advice on getting started. Would it be easier to do the CAD work in something I am familiar with and try to use c cut for CAM.

How difficult is it to make an older system use SheetCAM? (As soon as I figure out what software actually controls the CNC I will update this post, all I can tell you now is that it's definitely not Mach3 which is what I am familiar with)

I'm tempted to try talking the bosses into letting me retrofit the CNCs to run with SheetCAM/Mach3 If anyone has done this please chime in.

Thanks, Jason
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: C Cut Anyone?

Post by cuttinparts »

You say loading a file into the machine and making it cut is not an issue so are you referring to loading a dxf to C Cut CAM or loading previous C Cut gcode and simply running that?
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

loading previous cut gcode is not an issue. Trying to load a dxf into c cut cam is a huge issue. For example, yesterday I tried to load a dxf of a simple square frame a 10" square inside of a 14" square. Both squares were drawn on the same layer using the same drawing tool both completely closed paths. When imported into c cut cam only one square shows up and the scale is extremely off. The one square that showed up was 2000" wide.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

It sounds like a conversion problem like drawn in inch software uses MM, similar like loading a SVG into SheetCam and not changing the scaling
to match the drawing.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

Thanks for the replies. I figured out the problem. C cut cam just hates polylines. All I have to do is explode my drawing before importing them.
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

jason.jason.p wrote:Thanks for the replies. I figured out the problem. C cut cam just hates polylines. All I have to do is explode my drawing before importing them.
Good find and thanks for the solution, may help someone else. Never thought but yes a lot of older software will not handle that.

Return to “General Discussion”