DTHC V news?

General software related questions should be posted here.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

DTHC V news?

Post by whiskeymike »

Anyone know the latest info on CandCNC’s DTHC V? What features will it have beyond IV? Currently thinking about moving to their Linux upgrade and try to figure out if I should wait and do it all at the same time. Anyone know when it’s do out?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DTHC V news?

Post by acourtjester »

Go to the source just PM Tom C :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

whiskeymike wrote:Anyone know the latest info on CandCNC’s DTHC V? What features will it have beyond IV? Currently thinking about moving to their Linux upgrade and try to figure out if I should wait and do it all at the same time. Anyone know when it’s do out?
Pick me, Pick me :D
The upgrades already ships with the DTHC 5 . All new CommandCNC boxes have been shipping with the DTHC 5 for about 5 weeks. Even more interesting is we have started shipping new units with and soon , upgrades with, the new EBOB direct Ethernet BoB with expanded I/O (16 opto isolated inputs and 12 relay drivers) . DTHC 5 plugs directly to the EBOB now ( 3 less cables). DTHC5 has a few more options than the IV including more ostensive diagnostic indicators, but mainly it has a better A-D circuit that gives .06V resolution (versus .25 for the DTHC IV) and better linearity across the entire range of 50 to 250V. New PWMII tha comes with it , Has Added LC filtering for new higher freq inverter plasmas. By the time you order (unless its today) the new "Auto-Set" option will be in the firmware. Everything else will be firmware updates going forward.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Awesome. If I order next week, is that safe? or should I give it another week or two?

I've been procrastinating disconnecting/packing up the unit to send it up to you. So I can procrastinate for a bit longer. :D
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

btw, what would I do with 16 inputs and 12 relay drivers?

I'd like to get a fairly turn key 4th axis for cutting tube/cylinders. I know you have have a motor/card for that. But do you partner with anyone that includes the chuck and gear set? My shop isn't equipped to build out the gear reduction unit, etc.. (nor do I have the brain cells to engineer it.) I have a starlabs table. Does their 4th axis kit use all of the command stuff?
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Which 3 cables are lost from the IV setup? Are these external cables, or internal ones? What are the real-world implications of the "tech speak" above? Is the Auto Set something that existing IV customers will be able to use? What is the upgrade path (and cost) for IV customers? Thanks!
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

1' Higher resolution is higher resolution. It makes the voltage reading more precise; It breaks movement into smaller slices. More linearity means its closer to the real voltage all of the way through the entire voltage spectrum.
2. If all you are thinking about is a reason to upgrade the DTHC then its not justified. The DTHCIV is 4 years old and has little to improve on
3. There is not DTHCIV to DTHC 5 "upgrade" path.
4. Some of the upcoming features will work with the DTHCIV (like the Auto Set) but others will not because it depends on hardware changes .
5. DTHC 5 will not work with MACH or Windows
6. DTHC is made to plug directly to the new EBOB direct Ethernet

The cables eliminated are internal.
2 ribbon cables between the Ethernet Pulse card and the UBOB breakout
1 ribbon cable between the UBOB and the DTHC IV module
total of 51 connection (102 connection points
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

whiskeymike wrote:btw, what would I do with 16 inputs and 12 relay drivers?

I'd like to get a fairly turn key 4th axis for cutting tube/cylinders. I know you have have a motor/card for that. But do you partner with anyone that includes the chuck and gear set? My shop isn't equipped to build out the gear reduction unit, etc.. (nor do I have the brain cells to engineer it.) I have a starlabs table. Does their 4th axis kit use all of the command stuff?
We have not been in the mechanical side of the Plasma table business. We don't supply gears, rails, structures , belts , pulleys , etc. Our expertise is primarily electronics and software. We decided to venture into the active Z business last year and there are times when I wish I had not done that either! Even with out own CNC machining and metal shop its presents a challenge to meet the demand.

I do not have plans at this time to offer a mechanical turn key rotary cutting solution , there are too many variations , size requirements, cutting methods (do you feed the stock or move the cutter over a fixed tube/pipe?) Do you want round only. Round or rectangular or some other shapes?

We continue to sell our PipeFit (tm) Pipe Joint Design plugin for SheetCAM. It "draws the 2 Contour e of Main and Branch pipe cuts, Displayes them in 3D and lets you place them in SheetCAM on a 2D flat sheet. Then you use the SheetCAM Rotary Plasma Plugin to wrap the shape around the pipe and to generate the G-code using a Rotary POST for CommandCNC. It can be used on any sized rotary setup from a small tubing cutter to a larger pipe cutter .

Building a rotary chuck should not be too hard. The best ratio with a Stepper is about a 10:1 step down so you can get as high as 60 RPM on the chuck . Surface speeds are 3.142 times the pipe diameter so a 1 inch pipe would have a surface speed of about 188 IPM (4788 mm/min) Three jawed chucks are good for round but you need a 4 for square and shims for use with rectangular.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Okay, great. So is the EBOB direct Ethernet BoB with expanded I/O ready yet in upgrades? Or should I wait a couple more weeks to order/ship mine in?

Mike
BorstMetalWorks
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by BorstMetalWorks »

When will we get the learn function back on dthc Iv. I have the learn button on my screen but it hasn't worked in a while.
96x120 BullTear (star labs) cnc table
Candcnc ether cut with dthc4
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Xmt 350 MPa
Miller XR-30a
Miller S-54d feeder
Millermatic 350p with XR-Alumapro
http://www.borstmetalworks.com
http://www.facebook.com/BorstMetalWorks

Thanks
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The "learn" function ended up being a bust in MACH. Its unusable with the DTHCIV (WAY to slow for the DTHCIV response) . We are not doing any development or improvements on MACH based since MACH3 is no longer supported .

There WILL Be a new "Auto-set" function in CommandCNC in the next 10 days. It will be part of a standard update release of CommandCNC It uses the preset volts from the stored settings (local or in G-code) and allows the Preset Volts to chang ein a predefined range. Some call it sample and hold but what is unique about auto-set is it can be turned off from the screen or from the g-code when it would not work . You need about 1/2" of straight flat material (at higher feedrates) to take a valid sample and during this time the THC is off . It simply will not work on really warped material or things like corrugated . Included with Auto-set is Auto Delay that knows how long to delay DTHC action based on the true feedrate.

To keep up with new products and features you can read the Special Announcements setion of our Support Forum. You do not have to be a member to read that section

The EBOB based controls are shipping . The EBOB based MP3700-DTHC5 is going to start shipping this week. The product will be added tot he website this week as well.
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

So i missed out on getting the DTHC V by like 1 week? Bugger. I guess i can't ask for an upgrade already for my Core CNC Delta Series 3? It's not installed and up and running yet though. Its sitting nice and warm in my living room while i wait on some other parts.
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer

Return to “General Discussion”