Information Overload O.O

General software related questions should be posted here.
cherokee-mfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Information Overload O.O

Post by cherokee-mfg »

Need to find the briefest way to cut out fittings for trailers. Currently trying the picture taking method, using GIMP to cut out my fitting, using Inkscape to create vector lines / trace bitmap, have no idea if my fitting is the right size, have the dimensions for it but don't even know how to check those dimensions. I see numbers on the sides for Inkscape but they're in pixels...

Can someone with a good understanding of cutting out stuff for a shop help me out? I'd REALLY appreciate it.

I need to confirm AND / OR adjust the dimensions of the fitting.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Information Overload O.O

Post by Capstone »

In Inkscape...

Start with a blank "New" page and then under File>Document Properties> change your defaults to Inches, both for the page size and below where it says "custom size" That will go a long way to helping you with dimensions. Then hit File>Save As> and call it "Template" and put it in the folder at the "top" of your files. From now on, open that file first, but then save it as a different file name for your new project right after you've started a new project.

Then you can always come back to a "template" with Inches. There's a more complicated way to create a default that I might have time later to post so you will have the dimensions of your table in the background as well, but I'm short on time.

The other quick trick... in Inkscape, is to change the Fill and Stroke Settings by double clicking the bottome left corner of "Stroke" and then going to the Stroke Style tab and adjusting the width of the stroke (in inches) to your kerf width. That will go a long way to ensure that you're not bunching up lines too closely and able to fit letters etc on to the piece.

One more trick. Use "Boxes" in Inkscape to "Measure" stuff. You can set the dimensions of a box first, then increase or shrink the photo to match the dimension of what the piece actually is; that will fix your scale issues. Be sure to take pictures completely "Flat" to the item and always use mutliple boxes to ensure your drawings are aligning to the photo of the piece with the actual dimensions handy to compare. You might have to use calipers for the really precise stuff.

Lastly, create practice holes using a drawing with known dimension and compare them to what your machine actually cuts in a few different thicknesses and keep that list of common hole measurements on hand to ensure you're creating bolt holts that actually work the first time.

Hope these tips help.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
cherokee-mfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cherokee-mfg »

Absolutely man, thanks a lot. I haven't even read your whole post yet but your template idea to be able to use inches is fantastic. Thanks so much.

EDIT: Really feel like I understand Inkscape a lot more now...

If anyone has any more information such as what was just shared with me, please, don't hesitate.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

There's a pretty extensive set of videos on Youtube that will teach you tons more...

Inkscape --> SheetCAM --> MACH Tutorial

These video tutorials are specifically directed at Plasma Tables owners and are great refreshers for everyone

Arclight Inkscape Tutorials
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

When you find the correct size for holes or other shapes create a inkscape template with a bunch of different sizes in it. You can open that and then open a new inkscape for you new part and use copy and paste from the know size items to the new inkscape as many times you want. Another thing is when you had a drawing of a part and that is selected (dotted lines around it) and you want to change sizes there is a dimension tool in the tool bar up top. If you click on the lock icon and then change the size of w or H size to desired size it keeps the ratio for the drawing.
you can also check the mesurments in SheetCam using the arrow
sheetcam 2.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member