Raster to dxf

General software related questions should be posted here.
stp18463
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Raster to dxf

Post by stp18463 »

Does anyone know of a good program to turn raster (tif,gif,jpeg,bmp,pgn) into dxf format?
chipper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member
Location: Extreme Northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle... Not Texas, China either....

Re: Raster to dxf

Post by chipper »

I use inkscape, and this guy's plug-in.
http://inkscapedxf.blogspot.com/

It's all free, and works well enough!!!
stp18463
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stp18463 »

Chipper thanks for the tip on Inkscape. Im still playin with it but I can all ready tell that it will work better then the Algolab that I have been using. Thanks
chipper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member
Location: Extreme Northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle... Not Texas, China either....

Post by chipper »

I am happy to help.

If you have anymore questions...please ask.

Did you go and get the dxfr12 plug in? That is the best one for dxf files. I use m*cam...recently fiddling with x, and it includes a trace bitmap function. Inkscape, and that plug-in do a better job than the companies $$$$$$$ software!!! The lines are usually acceptably smooth, and the pockets are all closed. I just started tinkering with node manipulation prior to saving as dxf within inkscape....(I usually save it as is, then fix things within m*cam)it's really some pretty powerful software for what we do....Y'all better hurry up and get a copy before thay start charging us a couple grand for it!!

To get an idea of it's capabilities, just about all of my files I have shared on this board were originally bitmap or jpeg images I manipulated, then converted to dxf using inkscape....some of them require a little post-clean-up, but mostly they are just what inkscape spits out! Since finding inkscape, if I can draw something in ink, then scan it into my computer, can cut it into steel....automatically:D
I usually say..."keep the chips flyin' " ...but on this board, "sparks" would fit better!!
stp18463
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stp18463 »

Everything seem to be working well although it seem i still have to clean the files up in cad key in order to cut them on the laser. It only seem to trace parts of the picture and leaves gaps that i have to connect. It still is way faster then the way I was doing it.
Metal Lee
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Metal Lee »

Try cr8 tracer,you can save as a .svg and import it into Corel Draw or another program that will open a .svg and convert it to a .dxf. I use this tracer lots due to its ability to make a clean cutpath when using a good solid colored image. Give it a try it's free. http://www.cr8.netfirms.com/tracer.html
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
AAASIGNCOM
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by AAASIGNCOM »

TRY VECTORMAGIC.COM INSTANT RESULTS TONY AAASIGN.com ELECTRIC SIGN & CHANNEL LETTERS INDIANAPOLIS
etgainey
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by etgainey »

I currently use Flexi8. It is designed for the sign industry and is like a thousand programs in one.
Check it out on youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f
Melbourne, FL
Switcher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Switcher »

stp18463 wrote:Everything seem to be working well although it seem i still have to clean the files up in cad key in order to cut them on the laser. It only seem to trace parts of the picture and leaves gaps that i have to connect. It still is way faster then the way I was doing it.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the Inkscape trace 0.000 - 1.000%, "Inkscape -> Path -> Trace Bitmap... -> Brightness cutoff -> Threshold"

Most times I'll set the Threshold to 0.700%, on the first try.
Switcher

Return to “General Discussion”