Help with software?

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Ingenious
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help with software?

Post by Ingenious »

I am having trouble converting the DXF files from here to machine code!
Any susgestions would be much appreicated. (Please keep it simple and basic as you can, and I'm located in Australia if that helps)

My new setup consists of:
FastCam windows software.(came with cnc machine) This is where I beleive the problem is?
Hanshen portable cnc 3m x 1.5m or 10' x 5' cutting area. Uses TXT files on windows notepad to transfer files on a USB memory stick to cnc unit.
and a Thermadyne A120 plasma.

The problem is when you bring the DXF file into FastCam it sees a lot of the lines with breaks in them, so the cutting path keeps getting interupted. It appears to be very difficult to repair the breaks using the FastCam software.

If I draw a cutting profile shape in Autocad & save as DXF file then the FastCam does it's job easy.
If I draw in corel x4 and save as DXF file then FastCam does not like it.

I confess I have not learned much of any of the software that I am using yet, there is a lot to take in. I am learning as I go whenever I get a chance to use the new gear.

Thank You.
fab-man
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Help with software?

Post by fab-man »

I am not familiar with Fastcam or AutoCAD but...have you tried opening the dxf files in your AutoCAD first, then resaving as a DXF so they save the same as all your other DXF's which seem to work fine from AutoCAD?

Fab-Man
Ingenious
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Ingenious »

Yes I have tried that in Solidworks and also AutoCad. No difference! (I thought it had worked in Solidworks one time but I couldn't get it to do it again)
The Tech guy here in OZ tell me that FastCam does not like drawings that are drawn in painting type programs then converted to DXF.
So If nobody here uses FastCam, do any of the programs you do use give you the choice of saving code in a TXT format. My CNC unit is using a chinese Bejing START controller. (I did try to order a CNC table from USA from my retailer, but due to the downturn he would'nt bring one into the country for me! Cost was too high to make it worthwhile)
I don't mind if I have to buy another program to speed up the conversion process, I just want to know it is easy to use and works with my machine.
Cheers from
Ingenious.
Ingenious
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Ingenious »

I also forgot to say, that I did manage to cut the Sign Torch 57 horse. FastCam still picked up breaks in the lines but there were much less than most of the other drawings I have tried. I had to program three seperate cut paths around the outside line but when the CNC cut it out it just went straight through without stopping & restarting again? Maybe thats the go on the other drawings? just do another cut path every time it thinks there is a break in the lines.
I will have a go when I next get to play with it!
Ingenious.
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

in auto cad if you can open the file then use the modify then polyline join and join all the lines into one then export the file saving as a dxf say acad 2000dxf file then try to send it through the program on your table. I'm not familiar with your setup but have been using acad on my torchmate and it seems to work very well hope this helps good luck
fitzy
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
mack5894
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mack5894 »

Fitzy is right about joining all the line into a polyline. Try saving the file as AutoCAD R12/LT2 DXF.
oakycreek
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by oakycreek »

It should be noted to that if the lines segments don't touch, you may have to put some work into the file. I have come across some dxf files that at first look nice and clean, but a closer look shows that the line ends are .001 apart. so you will have to zoom in real tight and highlight the line segments to to be able to grab the nodes and move them to touch each other. Then they can be joined.

I also agree with trying to save the file as an older dxf version. I have found that this will solve the issue 80% of the time.
plasmajoe
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmajoe »

Hey ingenious,

You have the exact setup as I have. I personally love FastCam and all there products. Yes I do come across the breaks in the lines as you are now, and yes it does not like Corel at all, that is because of all the nodes in the file. If you open it up in your AutoCad and go to your toolpallets, use the solid command and clik on a hole that will fall out. If it fills with no issues you are good to go, but if it says your hatch boundaries need to be closed, check the lines for breaks and proceed on. It is a bitch of a job if you have a huge file, to save time I just trace it with lines set at ByLayer only! Plus by redrawing it you will have much less nodes to deal with and your machine will flow throught the program much nicer, no jerking at all. As for fixing on Fast Cam well it is easier on AutoCad, I don't use that feature on it, just to trim or stretch that is all. Any more help let me know I will gladly help you if I can. Quick question what release are you using on your FastCam? If you have an old release that may be an issue also with the corel files, I have the latest release to date and seems to work a little better thna the old one. Might be something to look into.

Hope this helps you out.

Plasma Joe
TST
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TST »

Hi, am using Fastcam too. May I know if the Fastcam software that you get comes with (Fastcam, Fastnest and Fastplot)?

Return to “Fusion 360 & AutoCAD Forum”