Need some very basic ACAD help please...getting frustrated!

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Need some very basic ACAD help please...getting frustrated!

Post by shiner2001 »

I've posted before about transferring things in and out of ACAD, so hopefully this won't be too much of a repeat, but I'm still pretty lost on what is probably second nature to many. I purchased the plans for the geodesic fire pit that was on here some time back, and my problem lies with getting the artwork for all the panels that I have done in Inkscape over into ACAD so I can insert them. I know it's probably a very basic thing, but I just never have been taught this before. Saving DXFs out of Inkscape and opening them in ACAD makes them look like complete crap. Basically with ANY DXF that is "artsy," whether it's freehand or what, how does one incorporate that into a technical drawing such as the plans I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance, guys. And also, I don't have Corel Draw and I know that's what a lot of people here use.
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Need some very basic ACAD help please...getting frustrated!

Post by steel 35 »

One thing about ACad is it does not always look as good as it is, will cut/Print/draw, My two pennies say get the sizing and move the technical drawing to Inkscape; check the sizing first then add the artsy.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by shiner2001 »

I tried to open the DXF in Inkscape and it didn't work at all, which I didn't understand. Taking that part of the drawing into Inkscape would definitely be preferable so I could edit the artsy more freely.
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Its funny, I have Inkscape, Corel and a bunch of others and I do everything in Acad except for text. Text I do in a program called Stencil Fonts and save as DXF and then use Insert/Block to import into my drawing in ACAD.
What do you mean by "looks like complete crap"? To get into ACAD use the Insert/Block and browse for your dxf file, insert and position anywhere. You can Move it around later, when in position if you need to work on the items in the block just use the Explode command to send the block into individual items that make it up.
As far as looking like crap if it is the curves and such look bad go to the Tools/Options dialog box, select the Display tab and play with the screen resolution settings. I attaced a screenshot of where my setting are and things look okay.
Ask any questions or PM me and I will try to help. I only monitor this site once a day, usually in the early morning.
Attachments
Acad Tools Options.jpg
Acad Tools Options.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

There is another way and that is to use Sheetcam. You can bring the original into SheetCam and the New part option and bring the art work in and position is where you want over the original. You would treat the artwork like one layer and do that cutting first then finish with the panel of the fire pit. To do fine positioning of the artwork use the placement options at the bottom of the page.
Entering small movements for the Z and Y directions you just change the number up or down to move the objects. You can even change the angle of the artwork there too.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sodfarmer »

One thing I have found out is when I export out of Inksacpe is to make sure to save as a LWPOYLINE only. When I have have the ROBO-Master spline output checked it seems to make the files export weird. Hope this helps.
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

When it is in ACAD use your "REGEN" command. This typically cleans the drawing up to look as it should.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill

Return to “Fusion 360 & AutoCAD Forum”