Adding completed G Codes for one single run

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Post Reply
Metal and Wood Customz
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by Metal and Wood Customz » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:20 am

Hello all. Newbie here. Had a question. I have multiple files completed and post process is completed (g file). Is there a fast way to add all the completed g files on one g file?

cuttinparts
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by cuttinparts » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:24 am

Are you trying to nest these files onto one sheet?

User avatar
acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 5658
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: Pensacola, Fla

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by acourtjester » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:34 am

You may look at a text editor to connect them (notepad, Notepad++) using a copy and paste function. The save the combination under a name you can ID so you know it is a larger cutting operation. You may put a M0 between each one to stop the G-code after each completion. Hitting the enter key would start the operations for the next section of the operation.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Metal and Wood Customz
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by Metal and Wood Customz » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:04 pm

cuttinparts wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:24 am
Are you trying to nest these files onto one sheet?
Yes. That's what I am seeking for. Can you help me out?

Metal and Wood Customz
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by Metal and Wood Customz » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:06 pm

acourtjester wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:34 am
You may look at a text editor to connect them (notepad, Notepad++) using a copy and paste function. The save the combination under a name you can ID so you know it is a larger cutting operation. You may put a M0 between each one to stop the G-code after each completion. Hitting the enter key would start the operations for the next section of the operation.
But if I do this how does it know where to start next on the sheet? Is there a layout that I can see all the pictures grouped together so I can manuver them and minimize my scrap.

User avatar
acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 5658
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: Pensacola, Fla

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by acourtjester » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:50 pm

The grouping of items to cut is part of the CAM software, your original question was about grouping G-codes.
Most Plasma software with show an image on the screen of the cut parts, but this is after you generate the G-code in a CAM program.
Here is a site with tutorial video showing things you will use, there are many videos and they are grouped as to topics.
https://arclightcnc.com/support/support-videos
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Metal and Wood Customz
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by Metal and Wood Customz » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 pm

Thank you!

adbuch
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by adbuch » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:16 pm

There are also some free nesting programs available for grouping of your different parts onto a single sheet and optimizing the spacing to minimize the metal used for the parts.
David

cuttinparts
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by cuttinparts » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:50 pm

Metal and Wood Customz wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:04 pm
Yes. That's what I am seeking for. Can you help me out?
In your situation I think you are best to manually nest the parts on your computer how you want them layed out on your sheet and the post process that and take that g code file to the table.

Metal and Wood Customz
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by Metal and Wood Customz » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:08 pm

Ok. Thank y'all for the comments!

adbuch
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by adbuch » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:15 pm

cuttinparts wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:50 pm
Metal and Wood Customz wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:04 pm
Yes. That's what I am seeking for. Can you help me out?
In your situation I think you are best to manually nest the parts on your computer how you want them layed out on your sheet and the post process that and take that g code file to the table.
I agree! Manually laying them out and creating cut paths/post processing for the entire layout would seem to be the most efficient way to do this.
David

User avatar
acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 5658
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: Pensacola, Fla

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by acourtjester » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:05 pm

One thing to add is you can also plan the sequence that you cut the parts one a sheet. You may want to cut all small parts or ones you think may cause a tip up to watch for.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

adbuch
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by adbuch » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:22 am

acourtjester wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:05 pm
One thing to add is you can also plan the sequence that you cut the parts one a sheet. You may want to cut all small parts or ones you think may cause a tip up to watch for.
Tom - that is great advise! Perhaps cut all the small parts first, then do the larger ones as a group so you can stand there and monitor in case of tip ups.
David

User avatar
djreiswig
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 1211
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm
Location: SE Nebraska

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by djreiswig » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:04 am

I cut in order across the sheet in case one part messes up. Then I can stop and rearrange the parts in SheetCam to avoid the mis cut and not waste a bunch of material.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

adbuch
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Adding completed G Codes for one single run

Post by adbuch » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:25 am

djreiswig wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:04 am
I cut in order across the sheet in case one part messes up. Then I can stop and rearrange the parts in SheetCam to avoid the mis cut and not waste a bunch of material.
That is also a great idea! I more or less do the same thing - usually manually placing the parts as close as possible on the drawing. With Design Edge, I can drag the cut paths around on the sheet "on the fly". Then I save the drawing for next time, so it matches the sheet as far as the "already cut" parts locations go.
David

Post Reply

Return to “Autodesk AutoCAD & Fusion 360”

Industry Pros use FastCut CNC