Automatic Kerf Compensation using Corel Draw

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Automatic Kerf Compensation using Corel Draw

Post by plasmanewbie »

I found the Plasmacam software a little cumbersome for a lot of the work I was doing so I bought Corel Draw and it has worked out great for me. I tried AutoCad but found it to be limiting for my line of work.

Corel gives me access to all my Windows fonts for my sign jobs, and drawing almost anything is easy now that I am used to it. Tracing capabilities are also there for tracing scanned images etc. Also I just learned how to automatically compensate for my kerf width in Corel which is a major bonus. Automatic kerf compensation was a feature I have wanted for a while. Every time I use it I learn something new, it's great.

I export my files in dxf format from Corel and my Pcam software is able to open them.
plasmanewbie, I also use Corel and I would like to know how to set for Kerf compensation, is this easy to explain?
Thanks, Metal Lee
plasmanewbie

Re: Automatic Kerf Compensation using Corel Draw

Post by plasmanewbie »

Hi Metal Lee..I will explain it as best I can.

Kerf Compensation using Corel Draw X3
  • open your file in Corel
  • "Group" all of your interior objects leaving the outside object seperate and keep them selected
  • locate the "Interactive Blend Tool" (5th tool from bottom, left side), click bottom right corner to access menu
  • click in the "Interactive Contour Tool"
  • set your "Contour Offset" (kerf offset) at the top of the screen above your horizontal ruler
  • change the "Outline Color" to red at the top of the screen above your horizontal ruler
  • click on the "Inside" button at the top of the screen and you will see the kerf comp lines in red
  • select the outside object
  • click on the "Outside" button at the top of the screen and you will see the kerf comp lines in red
  • delete all of the original black lines and save your file
Please let me know how these instructions work for you. I would like to modify them to make things more clear for others if you find them difficult to follow.

plasmanewbie
Metal Lee
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Metal Lee »

plasmanewbie wrote:Hi Metal Lee..I will explain it as best I can.

Kerf Compensation using Corel Draw X3
  • open your file in Corel
  • "Group" all of your interior objects leaving the outside object seperate and keep them selected
  • locate the "Interactive Blend Tool" (5th tool from bottom, left side), click bottom right corner to access menu
  • click in the "Interactive Contour Tool"
  • set your "Contour Offset" (kerf offset) at the top of the screen above your horizontal ruler
  • change the "Outline Color" to red at the top of the screen above your horizontal ruler
  • click on the "Inside" button at the top of the screen and you will see the kerf comp lines in red
  • select the outside object
  • click on the "Outside" button at the top of the screen and you will see the kerf comp lines in red
  • delete all of the original black lines and save your file
Please let me know how these instructions work for you. I would like to modify them to make things more clear for others if you find them difficult to follow.

plasmanewbie
Thanks Plasmanewbie i'll try that..
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Metal Lee...did you get the kerf compensation working for you in Corel Draw X3?

plasmanewbie

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”