Setting 0,0 to center of circle

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Setting 0,0 to center of circle

Post by grindergary »

I have a customer who supplies 36" round plates and wants me to cut a design in each one.

Can someone explain how to put 0,0 to center of plate so I can set my torch up to start in center of plates? I am using corel 6 and am either blind or can't see the forest for the trees. :lol: I just have not figured it out. I tried moving the lines to create a cross hair but not get it to 0,0.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Setting 0,0 to center of circle

Post by WyoGreen »

When you import it into Sheetcam, a drawing options box pops up asking where the drawing position will be. You can pick the center position there.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Not exactly sure what you are asking.....

If you are asking how to find the center of the circle, you can draw two lines perpendicular to each other and then use the centering feature in the alignment pull down to center the lines and the circle/oval, this will center everything together. You don't even need to get the lines perpendicular perfectly, just draw a vertical line, a horizontal line - both anywhere on the page, then select the two lines and the circle together, use the alignment tool to center everything horizontally and vertically and they will all line up automatically.

If you are wanting to move the center of the cirlce to the 0,0 position on your page in corel, you can do this by manually entering the x and y coordinates on the menu / icon bar on top of your page. Select the cirlce and next to the dimensions boxes are the placement boxes for x and y. Enter 0 for both and press enter and it will move your circle/oval directly to the 0,0 positon on the page.

If you want to put text or something else directly centerd in the circle/oval, you can use the alignement tools like listed above but use text instead of lines.

Hope that helps. If not then let me know.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

Thanks for the reply's!

I need to start the torch in x0,y0 in center of plate as they supply round plate and I usually start from the corner.

Seeing as the circle is 36" diameter, I just wanted to cut the design in the center of the plate.

I think I have it figured out. I will let you know when I get a chance to cut these out this week.

thanks for the help.

Gary
Sheetcam, Mach 3
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

The actual challenge is to locate the center of the bklank on the table. Doing a center origin and cut file is pretty easy. Aligning the torch and setting XY 0.0 is less so. Of every circle is very close I would build a jig with square edges and draw the jig onto the circle design and use it to define lower left 0,0
Short of that setup some sort of fence brackets that will set the circumference of the circle and give you a fixed offset from the table 0,0

If you have tomake more than 5 of something that needs custom positioning always consider a jig
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

If it is a perfect circle, just clamp two pieces of angle iron onto your table so that it forms an "L" shape. The corner of the "L" can then be set at 0,0. Then in Corel, draw a 36" box and place the cirle inside of the box, then center your cut-out to be in the center of the cirle. The box would be the sides of the angle iron clamped onto the table. Once everything is lined up and tool paths are made, zero your torch at the bottom corner of the angle, place your circle piece so that it is lined up against the angle iron and you should be able to cut. If you are doing multiple, this would make it very easy to do.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

Thanks Tom and Gamelord,
I will try this out as there is possibly many more of these to do.

Gary
Sheetcam, Mach 3
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Don't forget to zero Y axis, unlike someone!
Luckily I got away with it.

https://goo.gl/photos/96d3WgyGqDskN8e99
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”