Barn in Progress - critiques and maybe help?

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
OakRidgeFarms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Barn in Progress - critiques and maybe help?

Post by OakRidgeFarms »

I have started working with Corel Draw X7, trying to do my FIRST original work from using a photo.
I know this is a work in progress, and just getting started. Not new to graphics, but understand the VERY basics of setting up to cut.
I have a Tracker CNC Nitro 5x10, Powermax 85 machine enroute to my place....waiting anxiously to start, but have never done any plasma cutting other than by hand, so VERY! anxious.

Since I have never done machine cutting, I do not understand alot of the work, except what I have picked up on the forums. This photo is FAR from being done, but hate wasting time if I am approaching it in the wrong way.

Take a look, and critique my work (bearing in mind i have NEVER done this type of work previously, mainly work with web graphics, photos, etc...) Any tips would obviously help and be much appreciated.
This is just a screen shot using snipit tool. I took the original picture, Imported it, using as a background, set transparency down to 60ish%, then using the line tools, started tracing, and adjusting nodes of lines to make the pic.

I tried using the trace bitmap option in corel, and was not happy with settings or results of trace, so decided to trace it out by hand, using point to point lines and some feehand lines. Some of the lines I used 0.5 and thicker lines I used 0.75
Like I said earlier, if there is an easier way, great, if not, just want to know if I am wasting my time by doing it wrong....

Thanks
Attachments
Barn - Work in progress
Barn - Work in progress
barn testing-for forum.jpg (85.84 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Tracker CNC Nitro 4x8 Table
Powermax 85
SigmaNest
Corel Draw x7
Hobart Handler Wire Feed
Miller Bobcat 250 Welder Generator
http://www.facebook.com/ORFarms
chasxjs
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Barn in Progress - critiques and maybe help?

Post by chasxjs »

Looks like you are off to a good start.
One thing I will mention is that varying the thickness of the lines in the drawing has no effect on the finished product as the cutter will only cut at whatever the kerf with is for your machines particular set-up.
Also it's hard to see the details in the drawing from your jpg, but it looks like you may need to add a few more breaks in your outlines (especially around the mailbox)to give it a bit more strength. Like I said, it's hard to see. A posted dxf or svg file would be better.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I think aesthetically, the fence looks great while you can all of the background, but in practice, might confuse the subject; unless... you were to somehow add the grass and maybe alter the alignment of the fence so that it's in the scene, but doesn't crossover the barn somehow. This is the balance that has to be struck when converting most images. Visual Detail, Interesting Subject matter, structurally sound.

Good luck. I am looking forward to seeing the cut piece
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Great start. As Charles has pointed out make sure there is enough meat left to ensure structural integrity and forget the different thickness lines, just use hairline. Also you have intersecting lines like where the fence wire runs through the post. You mustn't have more than two lines to an intersection.

The way I go about a trace like that is to import the photo and using image adjustment lab taking out the brightness etc. to create an almost grey scale picture and lock that layer.
Then create a second layer to do all the drawing on. You can then keep on hiding the photo layer to check what you are drawing to make sure your on the right path. With the photo visible it can sometimes appear that you have a good image but take it away and you will see where it needs a bit more or less.
If you want to thicken some lines use the contour tool.

Keep at it and keep posting back, I'm sure we can help you as you go.
Murray
OakRidgeFarms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by OakRidgeFarms »

All excellent tips, and greatly appreciated, will be working on it some more this weekend, and will post with some changes when done,

Thanks again guys! Will need all the help I can get, hahaha :lol:
Tracker CNC Nitro 4x8 Table
Powermax 85
SigmaNest
Corel Draw x7
Hobart Handler Wire Feed
Miller Bobcat 250 Welder Generator
http://www.facebook.com/ORFarms

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”