Drawing help

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
blackandtan
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Drawing help

Post by blackandtan »

I have downloaded and even bought drawings that look fine when I open them but when I zoom in and select a part of the drawing with the shape tool the lines are actually a bunch of thin rectangles. Is there an easy way to fix this? This is a link to the file in the picture. I have a few that I would like to fix but I would like to know if there is an easier way.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... oss#p23262
cross.JPG
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Drawing help

Post by muzza »

I just downloaded all 3 files in the link you provided and all three opened in X5 as a single line only and appear fine apart from having the lead in in the dxf file. I had a bit of a look to see if there was anything I could change to make the drawing go like yours (in case you have a setting different) and I couldn't.

Can you post one that your having trouble with as a cdr file and I can compare the project with mine.
Murray
blackandtan

Post by blackandtan »

That's what I was wondering if its just my system. I am using CD X6. It would be nice if it is a setting but it only does it on certain files to my knowledge there is no rhyme or reason why. Thank you for looking at this. I am not all that worried about this particular file but I have a few that I would like to fix, especially some that I bought.
Easter Cross.cdr
(82 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by m79b01 »

I do see that in your file. Looks like all the lines are boxes. Can you also post the original though? If it is some thing in your system, then you save it you may be saving the problem. If that makes sense.
Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by m79b01 »

Can you also post the original though?
Nevermind, I reread your post and followed it to the original file. I can open the original fine with QCAD and Inkscape. This must be an issue with CD and I am not familiar so I am likely no more help. Sorry and good luck.
Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Bugger, I have X5 so your X6 project wont open on mine so I can't be of much help after all.
Murray
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I opened it in CDX7, and see the same double lines. I also opened the same file in CamBam, and it was ok. So it does seem to be something to do with CorelDraw, just not sure what yet. I'll play with it a while, but right now I haven't found an easy fix. CorelDraw does some strange things for sure. Twice over the last year CorelDraw has taken a file of mine and saved it as thousands of separate files, each one containing just one curve. It's a pita to clean up, as you have to go thru and delete all those files.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
blackandtan

Post by blackandtan »

I guess I need to learn how to use a backup program for problems like this. Only problem is I have a hard time learning one program :)
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I hear you. I find anymore that no single program does everything I want. Sometimes I use CamBam for trimming objects, because it does what I want, no questions asked. CorelDraw sometimes does what I want, and sometimes not, no rhyme or reason why not. So I may use 2 or 3 programs to turn out the file I want the way I want it. Of course that means you have to learn 2 or 3 different programs, which is sometimes a pita, as they all work different.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
blackandtan

Post by blackandtan »

Thank yall for looking at it. Just for the heck of it I opened it with draftsight and saved it as a dwg file then reopened it with cd and had the same problem. I thought it may be the dxf version that it was saved in causing it but I guess thats not the case. Oh well I dont know what it could be.
patc

Post by patc »

I use corel draw x4 and have also seen files like the one you have described, with the double line forming rectangles. I think that the file might have been drawn with some type of cad system and splines were used instead of curves. I've been told that most home used cnc machines can't cut splines. I imported a very nice file from plasmaspider called Easter Cross, and it had the unusual lines. I converted the file to curves, but the lines still looked the same. I don't know if the file will be can be cut on my machine, I haven't tried yet.

Pat
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I got the same using X7 opening the files from the link, the one with the leadin were ok.
No easy way that I could see of sorting it out,,what I did do was save it as a jpeg then used the trace in corel, still had some lines to sort,,,but possible.
Attachments
Easter cross.zip
(90.02 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
patc

Post by patc »

Thanks Sean,

I'll try to cut the file you worked on. A thanks also to the person who posted the original file

Pat
blackandtan

Post by blackandtan »

Thanks. I was starting to think I was the only one having this problem.

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”